Lake Ontario

* Effective this Tuesday afternoon and evening from 1220 PM until
     900 PM EDT.

* Primary threats include...
     A couple tornadoes possible
     Widespread damaging wind gusts to 70 mph likely

SUMMARY...Numerous storm clusters and lines are expected to develop
   this afternoon and progress east-northeast. Strong gusts producing
   damaging winds and a couple tornadoes are anticipated.

The tornado watch area is approximately along and 115 statute miles
   east and west of a line from 40 miles north northeast of Saranac
   Lake NY to 25 miles southeast of Bradford PA. For a complete
   depiction of the watch see the associated watch outline update
   (WOUS64 KWNS WOU1)

B1F3B011-3D54-4D17-92AC-58D797E5B5E3-2980-000001C0A5E97743.gif

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WesterlyWx said:

I garuntee that cell near Cattaraugus had a tornado for at least 5-10 minutes. The velocity scans were pretty impressive with delta velocities of around 100mph. 

Just now, WesterlyWx said:

I garuntee that cell near Cattaraugus had a tornado for at least 5-10 minutes. The velocity scans were pretty impressive with delta velocities of around 100mph. 

yep, agreed 

On 8/20/2017 at 0:03 AM, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

What the heck is going on this year in Buffalo.  Don't know if the weather is getting crazier or just the fact more people are out and capturing it.  Storms really didn't look that impressive on radar but there were several water spouts and funnel clouds spotted this afternoon.  Really caught me off guard after the initial forecast was for a sunny dry day.  Here is the AFD from this morning and a few pictures I linked from some FB pages...

During the afternoon a fairly sharp mid level trough will approach the region with increasing DPVA. Moisture will be fairly shallow with this feature, so it will need the help of mesoscale processes to force convection. Expect lake breezeboundaries to play the primary role, with widely scattered showers and thunderstorms developing from the western Southern Tier into the western Finger Lakes and southern Tug Hill region this afternoon and evening. Stable lake shadows will develop northeast of the lakes this afternoon and prevent any convection from the Niagara Frontier to Rochester and across Jefferson county, and also provide more sunshine.

IMG_1846.PNG

IMG_1847.PNG

IMG_1848.PNG

IMG_1849.PNG

IMG_1850.PNG

IMG_1851.PNG

IMG_1853.PNG

IMG_1854.PNG

IMG_1856.PNG

IMG_1858.PNG

Were these all on one day? All waterspouts, nothing over land? How many spouts were there? I went to the lake today to try to get some pics of some spouts but no luck. 

On 8/21/2017 at 2:44 PM, Buffalo Bumble said:

Finally an 80 degree plus day with full sun here.  Feels like the first one of the summer, absolutely nothing could put a dimmer on this day.  Oh wait, 60% of the sun is now disappearing behind the moon, and temp is falling....

Don't really care, just kind of funny that it seems nature is doing everything in its power this summer to avoid sun/heat by whatever means available.  

Departures from normals are not that far apart surprisingly, unless I'm looking at the wrong data, looked very quickly. 

May: - .8

June: + 1.0

July: - .5

August: + .6 

Hopefully this is a fairly good representation of the sounding at some of these spots where storms developed. From SPC mesoanalysis,  MUCAPE in the area was 1000-2000 J/kg with 40 to 55 kt of effective shear. SRH may have been 200-250 m2/s2 in central New York when the supercell(s) got going. So the 3km SRH on this sounding may be lower than what was happening with this storms, by a significant amount.

ZZwJLrd.png

On 8/22/2017 at 6:09 PM, BuffaloWeather said:

Were these all on one day? All waterspouts, nothing over land? How many spouts were there? I went to the lake today to try to get some pics of some spouts but no luck. 

Yeah those were all from Saturday evening.  All spouts but the funnels really carried inland with these.  No idea how many but the double was spotted over Lackawanna and South Buffalo.  There was one right in Buffalo harbor that slid over downtown.  Another was seen in the Blasdell Hamburg area.  And I think another one down in the southern tier. 

23 hours ago, LakeEffectKing said:

I traveled to Anderson, SC for the viewing of the eclipse...ABSOLUTELY INSANE!  My 15 year old sun was with me....what an experience.  The video doesn't do it justice!!! (From my tablet)

I went down to Nashville, and saw the eclipse in a city park on the northern edge of the city (2:21 totality). It was the most exceptional thing I have ever seen. I can't wait until 2024.

Archived