Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/4/2017 at 11:24 PM, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

We got a live one!

IMG_1609.PNG

IMG_1610.PNG

Was actually some nice lake effect rain going on here yesterday morning I was pretty impressed for what it was. Also had the coolest morning in quite a while here in West Seneca. Down to 46F this morning! Autumn is just around the corner now :)

On 8/4/2017 at 11:03 PM, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Few more cool ones.  These are not mine saw them posted on news sites

IMG_1593.JPG

IMG_1594.PNG

IMG_1595.JPG

Those are some amazing pics! 1 Tornado that day in New York. Lots of Severe reports. One of the best severe weather periods that I can recall with those storms Friday and the 3 Tornado outbreak. 

170804_rpts_filtered.gif

1 hour ago, tim123 said:

Anyone notice some leaves changing. Don't remember ever this early. A lot of trees have gone from dark green to light green. And some yellowing

Nothing here yet. Interesting tidbit from KBUF discussion today. Typically weather patterns stay in place for 12-18 months at a time. Let's hope this pattern rolls with us through winter 17/18. 

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...
The summer without a Bermuda High will continue during this
period...as the longwave pattern over the country will feature
ridging over the far western states and broad troughiness over the
east. This general pattern has been in place since May and has been
quite effective at keeping temperatures from climbing very far above
normal throughout the Lower Great Lakes this summer. The trough has
also played a significant role in supporting a very active severe
weather season...as the number of severe thunderstorm and tornado
warnings are running well above normal.

Looking good.

Euro plume from July verified on the high side again for Nino 3.4. Bit of a drop off in the monthly data, +0.6C to +0.5C or so. Last July was -0.5C, the first month of the July-Jan La Nina. SOI has settled for the last few days into what I'd call cold-neutral territory, +0 to +8.

ONI / monthly Nino 3.4 values for July should be out this week. European plume for August should be out this week too. Canadian has gone to a Neutral DJF for ONI, which looks fine if steady cooling continues. August ONI has been running at +0.2C so far.

Euro June 2017 Plume Verification (June-July).png

7.31.17 Canadian Outlook for Aug 2017 (4).png

7.31.17 Canadian Outlook for Aug 2017 (3).png

Here's the site with the lake levels...

https://glakesonline.nos.noaa.gov/monitor.html

It has NOW data back to like 2002 and historical averages back to 1860.  Can't find any record data.  I know the unofficial record is estimated to be at least 14 feet back in October 1844 when downtown was almost washed out into the lake.  Back in November 2015 we had a 7 1/2 foot surge which flooded parts of canal side and washed over route 5 in Hamburg.  Here is what the chart looked like for that one...

IMG_1629.PNG

IMG_1630.PNG

On 8/7/2017 at 9:23 PM, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Here's the site with the lake levels...

https://glakesonline.nos.noaa.gov/monitor.html

It has NOW data back to like 2002 and historical averages back to 1860.  Can't find any record data.  I know the unofficial record is estimated to be at least 14 feet back in October 1844 when downtown was almost washed out into the lake.  Back in November 2015 we had a 7 1/2 foot surge which flooded parts of canal side and washed over route 5 in Hamburg.  Here is what the chart looked like for that one...

IMG_1629.PNG

IMG_1630.PNG

Thank You, 14 feet is just insane! What were the wind speeds like with that?!?

I was trying to do some more reading on that storm... "The lower Great Lakes storm of 1844".  But not much information is available. Aside from saying it lashed the area with hurricane force winds for 5+ hours.  Write up said the issue was complicated as there was 2 days of strong E winds that actually pushed the water away from Buffalo and as the low moved in the winds flew around to SW so fast it made the wave heights incredible.  The original break wall at the time was 14 feet high and it was almost completely washed away.  The news at the time stated the lake surge could have actually been over 20 feet as water rushed into downtown as far as Seneca and Michigan.  The first ward was 6 feet under water and houses were picked up and washed around in the waves.  Workers at downtown hotels who were sleeping in basement quarters drowned in there sleep with how quick the water came in.  Pretty crazy to think if we saw something like this today.  If it's happened before it sure could happen again.

What the heck is going on this year in Buffalo.  Don't know if the weather is getting crazier or just the fact more people are out and capturing it.  Storms really didn't look that impressive on radar but there were several water spouts and funnel clouds spotted this afternoon.  Really caught me off guard after the initial forecast was for a sunny dry day.  Here is the AFD from this morning and a few pictures I linked from some FB pages...

During the afternoon a fairly sharp mid level trough will approach the region with increasing DPVA. Moisture will be fairly shallow with this feature, so it will need the help of mesoscale processes to force convection. Expect lake breezeboundaries to play the primary role, with widely scattered showers and thunderstorms developing from the western Southern Tier into the western Finger Lakes and southern Tug Hill region this afternoon and evening. Stable lake shadows will develop northeast of the lakes this afternoon and prevent any convection from the Niagara Frontier to Rochester and across Jefferson county, and also provide more sunshine.

IMG_1846.PNG

IMG_1847.PNG

IMG_1848.PNG

IMG_1849.PNG

IMG_1850.PNG

IMG_1851.PNG

IMG_1853.PNG

IMG_1854.PNG

IMG_1856.PNG

IMG_1858.PNG

17 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

What the heck is going on this year in Buffalo.  Don't know if the weather is getting crazier or just the fact more people are out and capturing it.  Storms really didn't look that impressive on radar but there were several water spouts and funnel clouds spotted this afternoon.  Really caught me off guard after the initial forecast was for a sunny dry day.  Here is the AFD from this morning and a few pictures I linked from some FB pages...

During the afternoon a fairly sharp mid level trough will approach the region with increasing DPVA. Moisture will be fairly shallow with this feature, so it will need the help of mesoscale processes to force convection. Expect lake breezeboundaries to play the primary role, with widely scattered showers and thunderstorms developing from the western Southern Tier into the western Finger Lakes and southern Tug Hill region this afternoon and evening. Stable lake shadows will develop northeast of the lakes this afternoon and prevent any convection from the Niagara Frontier to Rochester and across Jefferson county, and also provide more sunshine.

IMG_1846.PNG

IMG_1847.PNG

IMG_1848.PNG

IMG_1849.PNG

IMG_1850.PNG

IMG_1851.PNG

IMG_1853.PNG

IMG_1854.PNG

IMG_1856.PNG

IMG_1858.PNG

Saw these yesterday when leaving Wegmans by the McKinley Mall. Snapped some pictures myself and my Fiancé was freaking out thinking another Tornado was coming. Everyone in the parking lot were also taking pictures and freaking out. Crazy weather this year for sure. Crazy we're only 10 days from the beginning of meteorological autumn as well. Also crazy to think were only about 2 months away from the beginning of lake effect snow season. By the end of October in the higher elevations/Tug they can definitely start getting some good events, I remember chasing one about 5 years or so ago (end of Oct. 2012?). In the meantime gonna keep enjoying the pleasant summer weather we've been having. Aside from all the rain when it's not raining it's been great. Not overly hot at all and it seems like the least humid summer I can ever remember! 

Finally an 80 degree plus day with full sun here.  Feels like the first one of the summer, absolutely nothing could put a dimmer on this day.  Oh wait, 60% of the sun is now disappearing behind the moon, and temp is falling....

Don't really care, just kind of funny that it seems nature is doing everything in its power this summer to avoid sun/heat by whatever means available.  

3 hours ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Finally an 80 degree plus day with full sun here.  Feels like the first one of the summer, absolutely nothing could put a dimmer on this day.  Oh wait, 60% of the sun is now disappearing behind the moon, and temp is falling....

Don't really care, just kind of funny that it seems nature is doing everything in its power this summer to avoid sun/heat by whatever means available.  

It was actually more than that, I think it was 72% covered by moon. It did get noticeably dimmer out almost as if you were looking through a tinted window and I checked out a bunch of PWS around WNY and there was a pretty uniform 5 to as much as 10 degree drop from about 2:30 to 3pm. Pretty dang neat! Looks like we got some severe weather tomorrow then at least a week of highs in upper 60s and low 70s, and then we're headed into meteorological fall! 

Archived