SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an extraordinary Euro run that was at 12z this morning...

Not that anyone can't see this with their own eyes ...but it takes a Category 1 ...maybe 2 hurricane into the lower 'Bend of the TX Coast, moves it some 50 to 100 mi inland, stalls it... then moves it exactly straight backward right over the exact track it came in on!  wow.   The coast effectively gets affected twice in that area... But that's not all... it moves it bodily enough back over warm water that it re-intensifies to Categorical before raking the entire upper TX coast over to LA.

Then... duh duh dunnn... It tries to suggest some sort of fusion with an N stream as it lifts polarward astride the Apps ...tugging a wallop of wind into the upper MA/NE regions as a transitioning deep low anomaly (certainly so for this time of year.

The whole tropics are amazing in this run, too.  It also has a RI monster leaving Africa ..that sucker is like a depression before even leaving the coast! weird.

Which btw... the system out there now that TPC is ignoring ... is really impressive on satellite. Banding and deep convection 'after' the typical wash-out phase for waves leaving west Africa. 

Just a fun run overall

rather than just ogling the chart ... 

that's a very unusually high latitude for TC ... It seems to genesis just on the S side of frontalysis... What's interesting there is that a discrete analysis of the mass field reveals that is not actually the book end vortex that is spinning, but the GFS is trying to use a separate convective feedback to do that -... starting at the VA and N is odd either way.

I'd love to see an 18z GFS type solution up here but I really don't like that trough--it's too flat, and we don't have the blocking up north to compensate for it. I'm not seeing any reason why it would not escape east near the Carolinas around hr 132. And the H5 capture scenario off the Carolinas just looks downright weeniesh. My guess would be a scrape of OBX and then east, out to sea well south of our subforum...

Anyway plenty of time for this, and I'm excited to at least have something noteworthy to watch. Hopefully I'm wrong and the 18z GFS is onto something...

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Euro has it too. Just need to extrapolate 

Hmmm you're right. Interestingly the 12z euro has the necessary players there, we just lose it as a result of poor timing... Looks like the euro is about 24 hrs too slow with the trough for a run up the coast. Plenty of time for that to get worked out though...

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely interested; just doubtful. 

12 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Hmmm you're right. Interestingly the 12z euro has the necessary players there, we just lose it as a result of poor timing... Looks like the euro is about 24 hrs too slow with the trough for a run up the coast. Plenty of time for that to get worked out though...

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely interested; just doubtful. 

Don't tell Ginx. He says it's only 20 mph

On August 22, 2017 at 11:36 AM, CoastalWx said:

Heat content is not as high as the Gulf loop, but SSTs which is plenty. It's not like you'll have crazy upwelling in that part of the GOM.

"ocean analyses show that a warm eddy that broke off from
the Loop Current has drifted westward across the Gulf to a location
near the projected path of Harvey". 

5pm disco.

Yup ...  my experience over decades tells me that TCs in this sort of scenario, over huge IOH to draw from and amid superb deep layer kinematics ... will tend to over-achieve on guidance - sometimes by a considerable margin. 

We saw this happen with both Wilma and earlier with Katrina ...where ~ 10 knot motion seems to also be in the bell-curve for majority of majors.  Both those went through an RI cycle, too.  Almost like these ideal scenarios need to cross a momentum threshold then the RI kicks in... 

Some hypothesis to that ...granted, but just the same... if this thing gets to 80 kts say for spit and theory, don't be shocked if suddenly its more intense then guidance 12 to 18 hours later.  Although, interestingly...the 06 Z GFS was down 940 mb !  zomb

Meanwhile, the CMC ...albeit likely wrong as that model's very existence seems to routinely prove... does something similar along the EC in the mid range...  I find that interesting because some of the global tools have been flagging this period through Sept 10 or so as being particularly active in the Atlantic (particularly out in the MDR region...) but also everywhere in general.  It may be more related to numerical instability in the model(s).    Euro goes nuts again for the 2nd consecutive run with the CV -

Archived