• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

To be fair,  I think the national media did a lousy job in Texas too.   It was all about Houston and the flooding.   What about Rockport and those towns that took it on the chin from Harvey's eyewall?   You had to go digging to find those pictures and reports outside of local Texas media.  Then there's the environmental disaster and a death toll that went higher than most know.  Last I saw was over 80 killed in Texas.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

NOAA actually did an agency-wide call for FEMA volunteers (not that it helps anyone drive those trucks). I missed the deadline because I was on vacation, but in the future I would definitely consider a deployment to toss around some cases of water (that's about all I'm qualified for).

it was larger actually,  a government wide request for volunteers from homeland security, guaranteed you your normal pay in exchange for a 45 day commitment

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

so many armchair QB's not understanding getting airports and ports back to handle things couldn't happen overnight.

Well it's not so simple as that. Yes, roads being in crap condition after Maria is part of the problem. However that wasn't the sole reason being cited for why it wasn't being waived: "We're thinking about that, but we have a lot of shippers and a lot of people that work in the shipping industry that don't want the Jones Act lifted"

That's from Trump himself. Though so far it's mostly been framed as a fuel issue (thanks mainly to Harvey and a lesser extent Irma in the GoM), and PR hasn't had a lack of fuel just a lack of ways to transport it. But now they are running into food and water issues and the maritime transport of those goods is becoming more urgent.

31 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

so many armchair QB's not understanding getting airports and ports back to handle things couldn't happen overnight.

I read that part of the ports issue is tied to roads -can't move goods from dock to point-of-need (or anywhere else), so no room for the next boatload.  I have no idea if there is much, if any, mechanized logging equipment in PR.  A few fellerbunchers would go a long way in clearing the trees out of roads (as long as Diesel was available.)

4 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Gives you a good sense of just how devastating that eyewall was.

ginx, that is a sick video, must have been absolutely frightening for an extended periiod of time.

as i was watching that, at the beginning, I was thinking to myself, meh, this ain't so bad. then the wall came through. holy crap.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Check out this dudes story on st maarten, 12 mins but very cool

Wow, just wow. Brings back allot of memories after sandy. I know people like to down play that storm but try living in a true disaster zone for 10 days.  10 days of no heat. I eventually had to leave and stay with my grandma in queens as the house got down into the 40s. Surge really does "trump" wind. 

On 9/28/2017 at 9:03 PM, Ginx snewx said:

When my bud who has surfed our SRI waters for 55 years says this

"I think this storm may have given us some of the biggest surf ever. I needed a bigger board, 

Yea it was that epic today.

Secret spot. Not for long if they keep sharing pictures of triple overhead waves.

12 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

No identifying features though, its offshore by the way

7 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Is this really the Newport area?   I have never seen waves near this high on the East Coast!

My parents took us on some trails on Sachuest Pt last weekend and there was some pretty good shoaling going on near shore. There are plenty of shoals in there that could probably produce under the right conditions, especially on a point.

8 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

My parents took us on some trails on Sachuest Pt last weekend and there was some pretty good shoaling going on near shore. There are plenty of shoals in there that could probably produce under the right conditions, especially on a point.

knew a guy who got pulled off them fishing , never found him . wave action can get pretty good there.

Archived