Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

12 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I also don't think we've kept pace with that coastal build up either. Resources are still like 30 years ago, but we have way more in the path of these storms as you say.

A lot of our road systems are built for populations about one third of what actually exists now...that number might be exacerbated in some of the coastal areas where buildup has been the fastest. It definitely creates problems both during evacuations and trying to get supplies/aid into the region after landfall.

But really, the problems will never go away as long as we keep sticking buildings/homes on the beachfront in very vulnerable locations. If everyone understood the risks, it would probably generate less negative reaction when a hit occurs....but the general public (and policy leaders as you say) is pretty horrible at understanding risk. We are too short term. It's admittedly very easy to keep enjoying the hammocks and beach views under the palm trees for years and forget that they actually do get wiped out once every couple decades on average (or whatever the particular climo is for that area).

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I don't think fEMA was caught off guard, I don't think you understand the complexities of relief. You just can't send the Navy. Keep in mind PR depleted a lot of its supplies and personnel, boats by sending them to the Islands affected by Irma plus they had major damage themselves from Irma. The media portrays the US as doing nothing when in reality

DKqyIJOW0AEKTFk.jpg

Who said the Navy? Having some sort of emergency relief in place and ready to go isn't exactly asking for all resources.  Go find out why they won't waive the Jones Act.

35 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Who said the Navy? Having some sort of emergency relief in place and ready to go isn't exactly asking for all resources.  Go find out why they won't waive the Jones Act.

IDK maybe its a ports issue not a ship issue?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-storm-maria-puertorico-shipping/u-s-says-no-need-for-puerto-rico-shipping-waiver-idUSKCN1C12UI

One lesson here and people laugh and make jokes about people who stock up on supplies but if a 38 ever hits it maybe multiple weeks if not months before some areas have electricity. That's just a weather impact, there are a lot of different scenarios where the shiat can hit the fan. Just saying be prepared to exist on your own for extended periods. That means have lots of cash on hand, have extra gas on hand and medicines, supplies etc etc etc. Think it can't happen to you? Yes it can

39 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Which ought to waived ASAP.  The reason given (that I read) was that PR's port facilities are compromised and could not handle the extra traffic anyway.  Seems awfully shortsighted - wouldn't you want the ships already close at hand when the berths/docks are ready to go?

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

It's a lot more complicated than just send aid. 300 containers full of aid, no truck drivers to deliver.  

NOAA actually did an agency-wide call for FEMA volunteers (not that it helps anyone drive those trucks). I missed the deadline because I was on vacation, but in the future I would definitely consider a deployment to toss around some cases of water (that's about all I'm qualified for).

53 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

NOAA actually did an agency-wide call for FEMA volunteers (not that it helps anyone drive those trucks). I missed the deadline because I was on vacation, but in the future I would definitely consider a deployment to toss around some cases of water (that's about all I'm qualified for).

i just think the sum total is that there is an evolving humanitarian crisis in PR...  

it's just not an issue of being a human caused... the crisis is that lives are in peril - like, many thousands ...and if they don't get aid soon, that will start to become statistical.  

there really isn't time to talk -  ...iron that sh*t out later

I just saw something on my facebook account proudly showing several large pallets of drinking water for PR.  That's great.  What I don't understand is if 44% of the 3.4 million people have no access to running water because pumps have no electricity how are some pallets of water going to help for weeks or months?  On a daily basis how much water is used by 1.5 million people. Quite a few bottles of water.   Bathing, cooking  (if there is food)  drinking?   Unless the electric grid (and communications) can get up quick this situation will get worse.  

I was watching on a news channel earlier today (either MSNBC or CNN) that this situation is possibly worse than even  Harvey.  Well, duh... it is 100 times worse in the long run.  Without electricity or cell there gas stations can't pump.  People can't get money at ATM's and in a tropical climate people will start dying.  

I was a sky is falling guy when Maria was a Cat 5 over Dominica.  Still am.  This is a huge crisis.  The news media finally got on it yesterday.  Trump sent out a few tweets too (nothing today).  Wonder if the media will go for it again this evening or will be on to the newest thing?

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

i just think the sum total is that there is an evolving humanitarian crisis in PR...  

it's just not an issue of being a human caused... the crisis is that lives are in peril - like, many thousands ...and if they don't get aid soon, that will start to become statistical.  

there really isn't time to talk -  ...iron that sh*t out later

I just posted, agree.  Actually its on MSNBC.  Live reports are reporting of increasing desperate situation.  No electric so no cash available.  I'm trying to stay political stuff out of it but Trump better be careful on Tuesday if he starts back slapping of the great response.  The best response can't keep up with millions of people without power/water/cash/food/communications...   

Also read about the Jones act.  Making matters worse.  Needs to be waived immediately!

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

I just posted, agree.  Actually its on MSNBC.  Live reports are reporting of increasing desperate situation.  No electric so no cash available.  I'm trying to stay political stuff out of it but Trump better be careful on Tuesday if he starts back slapping of the great response.  The best response can't keep up with millions of people without power/water/cash/food/communications...   

Also read about the Jones act.  Making matters worse.  Needs to be waived immediately!

yes - am aware of the J. act...  however, i don't find really much culpability there.  it was a good idea so long as a category 5 hurricane doesn't hit someplace else ...and well - oops.

but, that's not really anyone's fault?  the J. act redirected aid to a location that really needed it at the time.  i'm sure it's a repeal-able Act under the circumstances. 

now, if that doesn't happen...and/or restitution is avoided? ...that's a different story.  

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

When you cant get to your job, when there are no workers to provide the basics, society grinds to a standstill. When you have a choice of going to work or making sure your family survives the day that choice is simple. This is a domino effect disaster. It will take months to correct.

Never mind that a large percentage of the economy down in the Caribbean is based on tourism. So if nobody is visiting it just exacerbates the problem.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Which ought to waived ASAP.  The reason given (that I read) was that PR's port facilities are compromised and could not handle the extra traffic anyway.  Seems awfully shortsighted - wouldn't you want the ships already close at hand when the berths/docks are ready to go?

Agree.

Well, just throw your hands up and say we tried! Why bother trying to make anything easier? Just give up and call it a day. 

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Never mind that a large percentage of the economy down in the Caribbean is based on tourism. So if nobody is visiting it just exacerbates the problem.

The people who run the power plants, transport goods, do the daily grind stuff that everyone takes for granted might not have a house, might not know they are needed and on and on. A lot of retraining and refocusing on services not related to Tourism wil have to take place to rebuild an entire Islands infrastructure

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If this were the three chicken coops that got flooded in southwest Rhode Island back in 2010, Steve would be begging for FEMA help.

FU, you don't even have a clue what I have been doing to get help to people I know there, I have a lot of friends families, Co workers families, my employees families in PR right now. I have called my Reps, put out public appeals, sent money, made phone calls to connected folks. You are one of those who say we spend too much money on the military but now want them to solve the problems. What exactly have you done besides running your mouth?

FYI damage in SW RI to the chicken coops was 110 million dollars, lots of dead chickens?

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Glad the fact that society choosing to build on beach fronts is being portrayed as the primary issue becasue it is.

All else is secondary. 

Hopefully we pop something to track to in order to reclaim the tropical thread from FoxNews.

Don't disagree however don't think that's the problem in PR

16 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

FU, you don't even have a clue what I have been doing to get help to people I know there, I have a lot of friends families, Co workers families, my employees families in PR right now. I have called my Reps, put out public appeals, sent money, made phone calls to connected folks. You are one of those who say we spend too much money on the military but now want them to solve the problems. What exactly have you done besides running your mouth?

FYI damage in SW RI to the chicken coops was 110 million dollars, lots of dead chickens?

I do what I can and donate. If you want to defend a collective shoulder shrug to helping PR, that's your prerogative.If you want to defend a collective shoulder shrug to helping PR, that's your prerogative.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I do what I can and donate. If you want to defend a collective shoulder shrug to helping PR, that's your prerogative.If you want to defend a collective shoulder shrug to helping PR, that's your prerogative.

Nobody did a collective shoulder shrug, keep looking deeper and get out of the MSM narrative, posted a lot of links, you are not understanding this at all. 

47 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

PR will be screwed for months....possibly longer. Ugly old infrastructure and being an island with a lot of people...tough combo.

They can get supplies in there, but how do you distribute it on a ravaged island with crappy (and damaged) roads?

Heavy-lift choppers?  Those Galaxies and Globemasters can haul some big stuff, including large helicopters.  Of course, even the biggest 'copters will only be a stopgap, until roads get cleared.

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Nobody did a collective shoulder shrug, keep looking deeper and get out of the MSM narrative, posted a lot of links, you are not understanding this at all. 

I understand perfectly. We have a systematic issue of never giving help in time to people that need it.  Nobody  expects it to be solved in one day.  In any case, I feel terrible about the whole thing. And the governor of PR is smart.  Unfortunately with ****head in power, you can't screw around with the hand that feeds you. 

57 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

PR will be screwed for months....possibly longer. Ugly old infrastructure and being an island with a lot of people...tough combo.

They can get supplies in there, but how do you distribute it on a ravaged island with crappy (and damaged) roads?

Neegan will soon be in control...

57 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

50 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Glad the fact that society choosing to build on beach fronts is being portrayed as the primary issue becasue it is.

All else is secondary. 

Hopefully we pop something to track to in order to reclaim the tropical thread from FoxNews.

there's a loud teleconnection for favorable deep layer tropospheric development in the Gulf early next week... really loud actually.  That big ridge over top with collocated large surface high imparting easterly flow from S of Bermuda clear to the bend of Texas is an ideal set up.

In fact I just checked and NHC ain't wastin' any time throwin' an X down there - no surprise then ..

37 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

there's a loud teleconnection for favorable deep layer tropospheric development in the Gulf early next week... really loud actually.  That big ridge over top with collocated large surface high imparting easterly flow from S of Bermuda clear to the bend of Texas is an ideal set up.

In fact I just checked and NHC ain't wastin' any time throwin' an X down there - no surprise then ..

SSts are off the hook in Jamaica West

Archived