Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The lack of media attention that the humanitarian tragedy unfolding in PR is getting is disheartening.  People get worked up over football players but Americans are being set back 30 years gets little press.

this times a thousand. I have been helping some peeps find out how loved ones are in PR, it's a fooking disaster. But hey that Kardashian trash is preggo

IMG_20170924_225031.jpg

On 9/24/2017 at 10:51 PM, Ginx snewx said:

this times a thousand. I have been helping some peeps find out how loved ones are in PR, it's a fooking disaster. But hey that Kardashian trash is preggo

IMG_20170924_225031.jpg

I have been posting on my FB page and talking about this well before Maria hit.  This could be Trump's Katrina.  22 posts about the NFL and nothing until last night about Maria.  I am furious.  Finally today the media is waking up about how bad this is and more importantly how bad it is going to get.  Sorry to politicize this but I am SO angry...

On 9/24/2017 at 7:06 PM, Ginx snewx said:

Doppler SJU ftl

IMG_20170924_190213.jpg

On 9/24/2017 at 7:52 PM, Hazey said:

That should buff out...lol. In all seriousness, at least it's still standing.

On 9/24/2017 at 7:59 PM, dendrite said:

How far away did the dome land?

On 9/24/2017 at 8:01 PM, Ginx snewx said:

Rated at 120 knots

On 9/24/2017 at 10:00 PM, Dan76 said:

Tolland

On a related note.

517688C0-8DEC-42C6-952E-090DAD01B213.thumb.jpeg.9671e1362d5b08180c936a6ce754480c.jpeg.e20d8426b8573b672157e396453037fc.jpeg.73ef59e294f621b220bf14f9a1d741ff.jpeg

7 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I haven't been watching, so while I can't speak to the media coverage,  Trump certainly has addressed PR...as evidenced by post above.

I was speaking of the media.  They have been really slow to get aboard.  While I wish the tweets were more focused on important issues, I see no evidence that FEMA or the administration has been lax in addressing PR

58 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I was speaking of the media.  They have been really slow to get aboard.  While I wish the tweets were more focused on important issues, I see no evidence that FEMA or the administration has been lax in addressing PR

It's too bad common sense does not prevail over bureaucratic red tape BS. When you know a CAT 4 or 5 is going to impact an island of 3.5 million of your citizens...perhaps mobilizing supplies ahead of time is helpful. 

49 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's too bad common sense does not prevail over bureaucratic red tape BS. When you know a CAT 4 or 5 is going to impact an island of 3.5 million of your citizens...perhaps mobilizing supplies ahead of time is helpful. 

How many days lead time do they have to get supplies to an island of 3.5 million, what about Irma and the damage that ensued prior. 

51 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

And maybe not tweet about the NFL 25 times vs 1 time about PR...or mention how much debt there in over a humanitarian crisis. But, that's just me.

It would be Trumps fault no matter what. I can't stand the guy but let's face it, PR is bankrupt, their infrastructure is from 1960, all ports, airports were compromised, they don't have the ability to do it on their own. The cavalry was there, more are coming but I agree with Hunchie, the MSM basically ignore PR all weekend and focused on the NFL and Stephon Curry, this article in the Post leads credence to that. The MSM is a powerful awareness tool when assessments are difficult. Our major cable news channels were not on the ball

https://t.co/6yNIxWDlJg

On Monday, the cable news networks, which both reflect and set the national news agenda, found many other things to discuss: the NFL national anthem controversy; Jared Kushner's use of a private email account for official work; the sentencing of former congressman Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.); nuclear tensions with North Korea; the Senate debate over health-care legislation. CNN staged a prime-time debate over the latter topic on Monday.

The five top-rated broadcast and cable networks' Sunday news-discussion programs devoted less than one minute to Puerto Rico, according to a count by Media Matters, the liberal watchdog group. Even that may have overstated the noncoverage: Three of the five shows - ABC's "This Week," CBS's "Face the Nation," and Fox Broadcasting Co.'s "Fox News Sunday" - didn't mention Puerto Rico at all.

Live reports from the battered island did pop up, albeit sporadically. Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló, warned of "a humanitarian crisis" in an interview on CNN's morning program "New Day." All three cable news networks offered occasional live reports. Among others, NBC News dispatched lead anchorman Lester Holt to San Juan; Fox News sent correspondent at large Geraldo Rivera.

But the contrast to coverage of Hurricane Harvey in Texas and Hurricane Irma in Florida was striking. Those two storms, which caused widespread flooding and wind damage, received round-the-clock attention from the networks and intense coverage elsewhere. Perhaps stimulated by all the attention, both mainland disasters rated presidential visits and a vigorous relief effort.

So why doesn't Puerto Rico rate the same?

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I do think Harvey caught the federal level off guard a bit, but led to better pre-staging for Irma. But Irma and Maria devastating islands brought a whole new challenge for them, which if you read between the lines you can see when they say it's hard because PR is an island in the middle of a big ocean. Boats and planes still work.

But any administration would be challenged by basically three successive landfalls on US soil. 

29 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I do think Harvey caught the federal level off guard a bit, but led to better pre-staging for Irma. But Irma and Maria devastating islands brought a whole new challenge for them, which if you read between the lines you can see when they say it's hard because PR is an island in the middle of a big ocean. Boats and planes still work.

But any administration would be challenged by basically three successive landfalls on US soil. 

But you know the island is poor with difficulties in getting supplies there. It's just simply anticipation. I'm not saying their should have been 60 ships ready, but at least get a ship or two with critical supplies like medicine and water to help jump start relief. This isn't exactly a tough call. I understand the impacts in the US...but you need to leverage and delegate stuff out to reduce suffering all around.  

But instead, d*ckhead in chief decides that priorities are more in the way of athletes protesting, instead of coordinating and managing relief efforts in PR. 

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

But you know the island is poor with difficulties in getting supplies there. It's just simply anticipation. I'm not saying their should have been 60 ships ready, but at least get a ship or two with critical supplies like medicine and water to help jump start relief. This isn't exactly a tough call. I understand the impacts in the US...but you need to leverage and delegate stuff out to reduce suffering all around.  

But instead, d*ckhead in chief decides that priorities are more in the way of athletes protesting, instead of coordinating and managing relief efforts in PR. 

I don't think fEMA was caught off guard, I don't think you understand the complexities of relief. You just can't send the Navy. Keep in mind PR depleted a lot of its supplies and personnel, boats by sending them to the Islands affected by Irma plus they had major damage themselves from Irma. The media portrays the US as doing nothing when in reality

DKqyIJOW0AEKTFk.jpg

44 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

But boats take time to load and to make the trip.  Money spent on massive prepositioning would probably win the golden fleece award, especially if the storm turned out less damaging than forecast.  One can argue that it should've been done anyway.  The issue with air supply has been having a safe place to land, not just clearing runways but setting up radar and air traffic control.  We certainly don't want any more "Roberto Clemente flights."  Up until a couple days ago, SJ AP was receiving only a handful of flights daily.  On NPR this morning was an estimate that by tomorrow they would be able to handle 36/hour.  One hopes that will include, along with airplanes full of food, water, and generators, a bunch of the heavy lifters full of choppers for distribution, as road access is terrible.  Once folks have food and water, then fly in a couple hundred bucket trucks with crews for restoring power.

Just my dopey opinion but beyond the specter of the damage to physicality on the Puerto Rico island, is a kind of sociological test of what it might mean to have a catastrophic Solar storm put the planet in a grid failure.  People have no idea...every reason you have for "being" in this reality called western society America, or worlds of that ilk?  ... completely obliterated... instantly.  No -you don't know what that means.  You only think you do... 

Much of the duress that is erupting there is really being exacerbate by the fact that the entire land mass is in a state of infrastructural failure.. But, that's just the verbal definition. The hell is the onsetting stench of fetid detritus, in the dark, with the sound of raiding parties serving as the only distraction from the worst hunger you've ever felt.    

Every assumption in culture's of any modern characteristic are wholly dependent upon electricity - deeper than assumption.  Electricity is a kind of "societal-autonomic expectation," no different than a biological organism not having to think about taking their next breath.  How long can society holds its? 

The darkly ironic aspect? Primitive cultures that do no rely upon electricity would never even care.  The problem is obviously conditioning... so profoundly that there is for the most part a complete vacuum of available recourse's when the conditioning is removed; when one knows no other means to procure the vitality of their next breath, they don't even realize that it really does supply the vitality ...That enters a particularly acute sense of terror at the instant one is forced to figure that out.  Now imagine that terror flooded through the collective perceptions of any entire civility like a storm surge.  

I mean ... we can intellectually acknowledge that without power, x-y-z ..blah blah blah. Whether that is a a popular passing muse at a water cooler or supper table, or having the luxury to passively ruminate the circumstance of lost power ... but - no.  We don't truly understand what that means, until every action in said culture relies upon electricity.  The entire cooperative fabric of society is powered by electricity.  Without it, there is utter break-down of basic social order, and we are seeing an apocalypse for what an apocalypse truly is, and not just the abused News headline version of the term that is far, ...far to often used. 

What follows is less likely to be images of communal spirit, like those video clips and photo ops of Houston's finest rising against all "apocalyptic" odds ... because the missing component in the passive comparison is 'options'.  That's key in the psychology (most likely).  The diaspora of fleeing souls from the burning village (so to speak) had options in thriving regions outside the backdrop of amazing rain and wind.  But you have millions of people trapped on an island here... Flight-or-fight survival of the fittest kicks in... And the truer, uglier specter of humanity at the brink proves that moralities and common decencies are really more of a matter of convenience ...among other things.

Imagine that island is the entire world.  You can't.  You only think you can.

9 minutes ago, tamarack said:

But boats take time to load and to make the trip.  Money spent on massive prepositioning would probably win the golden fleece award, especially if the storm turned out less damaging than forecast.  One can argue that it should've been done anyway.  The issue with air supply has been having a safe place to land, not just clearing runways but setting up radar and air traffic control.  We certainly don't want any more "Roberto Clemente flights."  Up until a couple days ago, SJ AP was receiving only a handful of flights daily.  On NPR this morning was an estimate that by tomorrow they would be able to handle 36/hour.  One hopes that will include, along with airplanes full of food, water, and generators, a bunch of the heavy lifters full of choppers for distribution, as road access is terrible.  Once folks have food and water, then fly in a couple hundred bucket trucks with crews for restoring power.

Part of the problem is that this country has/had/will have a preparedness problem. This is inclusive of all administrations. Disaster happens, then we take action. We should have a better plan than that.

Some of it is leaders, like the general public, have a poor understanding of uncertainty forecasts. We see it locally all the time with EMs. They want deterministic at day 5+, when it's just not a reality. Likewise the "cone of uncertainty" is poorly understood by many. It's just a measure of past error, not confidence, encompassing 2/3 of the potential landfall locations (each equally likely). 

Despite forecasts getting better with the years, the relief/recovery is getting worse. Some of that obviously is the amount of infrastructure placed in vulnerable areas, but some of it is also the response (preparedness).

18 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Part of the problem is that this country has/had/will have a preparedness problem. This is inclusive of all administrations. Disaster happens, then we take action. We should have a better plan than that.

Some of it is leaders, like the general public, have a poor understanding of uncertainty forecasts. We see it locally all the time with EMs. They want deterministic at day 5+, when it's just not a reality. Likewise the "cone of uncertainty" is poorly understood by many. It's just a measure of past error, not confidence, encompassing 2/3 of the potential landfall locations (each equally likely). 

Despite forecasts getting better with the years, the relief/recovery is getting worse. Some of that obviously is the amount of infrastructure placed in vulnerable areas, but some of it is also the response (preparedness).

I remember reading in one of Chris Landsea's papers on the absolutely ridiculous amount of infrastructure we have in the path of hurricanes now versus even 30 years ago in 1985. Nevermind years like 1954 when the east coast was right in the middle of the shooting range. If that happened now, the damage would be so much more extensive and perceived recovery time would be seem so much worse.

We simply don't care that a hurricane might destroy it...we build it up anyway...and at huge costs. Oceanfront is premium property. The collective public then tends to blame the response and/or other factors more than the act of building there in the first place. When you step back and look at the 100,000 foot view, it's actually kind of comical.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I remember reading in one of Chris Landsea's papers on the absolutely ridiculous amount of infrastructure we have in the path of hurricanes now versus even 30 years ago in 1985. Nevermind years like 1954 when the east coast was right in the middle of the shooting range. If that happened now, the damage would be so much more extensive and perceived recovery time would be seem so much worse.

We simply don't care that a hurricane might destroy it...we build it up anyway...and at huge costs. Oceanfront is premium property. The collective public then tends to blame the response and/or other factors more than the act of building there in the first place. When you step back and look at the 100,000 foot view, it's actually kind of comical.

I also don't think we've kept pace with that coastal build up either. Resources are still like 30 years ago, but we have way more in the path of these storms as you say.

Archived