Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

I totally agree with ya...   Do you think that if Maria did get as far NW as the 12Z GFS suggests that some of the moisture could get entrained in the frontal system or even a PRE this far north?  You guys got some good rain down in SNE but the surface is dry up here.  Would be nice just to get some rain, somehow from Maria.  

Gene, BOS had less than 0.5 from Jose.   We're at 2.15 for the entire month.  

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think the 155mph lf intensity in PR is BS...more like 130 with 150+ gusts.

Multiple reports of debarked trees, last radar scans showing winds up to 175, no doubt in my mind . These winds were at the radar site so roughly 300 feet off the ground, there are 190 plus pixels in there. 

IMG_0385.PNG

5 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

GFS just crushing all other models in the 3-5 day location. Impressive.

mae.png

This product is confusing to me. 

I realize I'm not the brightest bulb in the usership around here ... but that looks contradictory:  the number 1 model has the greatest error?  What am I missing -

Heh... sort of.

Maria could make a run up the coast but the issue is the spatial orientation of that trough amplitude set to truncate this present heat dome later in the week. 

As that trough smashes in and usurps the pattern toward one more akin to Autumn, it's morphology is longitudinally biased - meaning...it's flat.  It's got a lot of amplitude in it; one can see that in the native velocities scooting around the periphery of it's gradient rampart... but, since it is wide open the steering fields on the front/E side of it are oriented more SW or WSW even... If that trough come down with more meridional flow (more S-N on the eastern front side) it would accelerate Maria N as opposed to hard right.

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Multiple reports of debarked trees, last radar scans showing winds up to 175, no doubt in my mind . These winds were at the radar site so roughly 300 feet off the ground, there are 190 plus pixels in there. 

IMG_0385.PNG

I knew you'd reply.

The highest image that I had seen was like 155mph.

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

No one is doubting 157mph gusts.

I'd like to see some more solid evidence of 175mph gusts at ground level.

I would like to see proof there wasn't.  proof either way or we can't be sure but I have seem a lot of proof there was.The last recon was 2 hrs before LF, before the eye went into an insane gyration. That last radar image was an increase of pixels of 20 mph higher than a half hour earlier. Something extreme went on when that eye went into an out of balance spin. I am sure this will be intensely studied for years. Bottom line is we will never know what sustained were, not that it matters when damage assessments are done.

Screenshot_20170923-200312.png

14 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I would like to see proof there wasn't.  proof either way or we can't be sure but I have seem a lot of proof there was.The last recon was 2 hrs before LF, before the eye went into an insane gyration. That last radar image was an increase of pixels of 20 mph higher than a half hour earlier. Something extreme went on when that eye went into an out of balance spin. I am sure this will be intensely studied for years. Bottom line is we will never know what sustained were, not that it matters when damage assessments are done.

That is asinine and not how science works.

Everything you have listed, such as an increase radar pixels, is pretty anecdotal.

We don't assume the most extreme outcome given nebulous evidence.

So we shouldn't make efforts to correctly discern the LF intensity because PR sustained such bad damage, anyway?

Great-

Why does it matter?

What's at stake in that discussion/argument? 

..funny...

one thing I've discovered over the years of this social media hobby is that if/when one 'gets into it' with some voice in the amorphous chaotic, pistol blazin' din of the new Wild West, the Internet, you are going to be about as successful at drilling your point into the opposing entity's skull as any imaginary bullet. 

...in the first place that futility... but secondly, maybe the question should be, what in the f is either person even getting at? 

40 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That is asinine and not how science works.

Everything you have listed, such as an increase radar pixels, is pretty anecdotal.

We don't assume the most extreme outcome given nebulous evidence.

So we shouldn't make efforts to correctly discern the LF intensity because PR sustained such bad damage, anyway?

Great-

Just showed the evidence that was presented by people who were there and some radar evidence. Didnt need to respond like that. I believe the evidence contradicts your assumptions made from your basement PC

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Why does it matter?

What's at stake in that discussion/argument? 

..funny...

one thing I've discovered over the years of this social media hobby is that if/when one 'gets into it' with some voice in the amorphous chaotic, pistol blazin' din of the new Wild West, the Internet, you are going to be about as successful at drilling your point into the opposing entity's skull as any imaginary bullet. 

...in the first place that futility... but secondly, maybe the question should be, what in the f is either person even getting at? 

Discussion of possible intensity of a hurricane on a weather board? Oh man probably should be discussing posters psychological makeup, my bad 

45 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Just showed the evidence that was presented by people who were there and some radar evidence. Didnt need to respond like that. I believe the evidence contradicts your assumptions made from your basement PC

Two hours is an eternity within the context of a rapid intensity changes. I understand that you feel strongly as though it must have been intensifying upon landfall because of how you perceived the last radar and satellite images prior to landfall, but structural changes are complex, and sat/rad presentation is not always congruent with current intensity. 

This is inconspicuously anecdotal.

53 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Discussion of possible intensity of a hurricane on a weather board? Oh man probably should be discussing posters psychological makeup, my bad 

Yea, I'm not sure what his malfunction is.

I think its pretty important that we strive for accurate in the meteorological archives.

Why do we develop intensity scales? Planning and safety....don't inaccurate intensity assessments undermine said motive?

By the way, its a weather board, dude-

14 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I'm not sure what his malfunction is.

I think its pretty important that we strive for accurate in the meteorological archives.

Why do we develop intensity scales? Planning and safety....don't inaccurate intensity assessments undermine said motive?

By the way, its a weather board, dude-

"malfunction" ..haha..nice.

Does not compute -

no...i just was not sure at the time what the point of that contention was, but if it's ironing out the intensity of Maria... ...well, nothing either of you presented does any iota to clarify anything. not really -

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

"malfunction" ..haha..nice.

Does not compute -

no...i just was not sure at the time what the point of that contention was, but if it's ironing out the intensity of Maria... ...well, nothing either of you presented does any iota to clarify anything. not really -

Thanks for invalidating our NOAA credentials...there was some question there.

The good news is that we are posting in a tropical thread on a weather discussion forum, so they may let it slip-

16 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

haha... based upon this, we can estimate winds of around 150mph during the march blowdown last winter.

Archived