Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, jbenedet said:

Never questioned the wind, or the fact that it's having significant impacts, locally in SE MA.

That said, Jose--or what's left of him--is getting undue credit for that. For if we didn't have a 1024 mb high anchored over ME, the winds 200 miles from Jose's center would be uneventful.

Would'a, could'a, should'a

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Hey. That ACK gust is stronger than anything I've experienced in my life. Probably borderline run-of-the-mill for ACKwaves but epic here.

Nasty Nor'easter for 3 days out there, and on the Cape, great stuff though. Just low enough to go out on the Beach and listen to the roar of the wind surf combined. I loved falling to sleep to that when I lived down there.

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Nasty Nor'easter for 3 days out there, and on the Cape, great stuff though. Just low enough to go out on the Beach and listen to the roar of the wind surf combined. I loved falling to sleep to that when I lived down there.

Would make for an epic snowstorm.

Is pretty awesome to know that the ocean is raging and winds are like that so close yes so far away.  I may take a ride down to Misq. tonight.

Ok, Jose can go away now...the weather has been so crappy since tuesday...probably picked up 2.5inches of rain. Had some decent gusts. Today has seen the most consistent rain and wind combo. Tues night we got 1.6inches of rain but no wind. Yesterday we had continuous gusts to 40ish but no rain. Today is the first day we have had wind and rain.

Beautiful blue skies just to my NW.  Broken clouds over me.  Dark on the south horizon.  No wind....

Living life on the edge...

Have fun down there.  As Barry Burbank use to say "your under the wheel of misfortune".

Meanwhile not that it matters but the 12Z GFS slowed down Maria and brings her NW before she gets kicked out.  If the trend continued which I doubt I guess its possible Maria misses the trough.  Doubt it though...

17 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Ok, Jose can go away now...the weather has been so crappy since tuesday...probably picked up 2.5inches of rain. Had some decent gusts. Today has seen the most consistent rain and wind combo. Tues night we got 1.6inches of rain but no wind. Yesterday we had continuous gusts to 40ish but no rain. Today is the first day we have had wind and rain.

#notanoreaster

9 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

worth the 45 minutes to watch, anyone wishcasting for damage and devastation should watch this, trolls troll and hypesters hype but no way ,Domenica

Ginx.  Thanks for this video.  I watched it and followed along with Google earth.  It is amazing to see the damage.  Watching where the 2 rivers are and how far up they came causing the huge amount of flooding.  I don't know where this island begins to recover?  This is Roseau the capitol.  What does the rest of the island and its 72,000 people look like.  How can they survive with no food, no electric, no gas? Did you see that poor elderly women?  Got to be repeated a 1000 times on this island.  Looting and violence seems to be a sure bet over the next months.  Our national media will quickly move on but this island will never be the same in our live times.  Barbuda was tiny but this island has a huge population.  It is not a territory of another large country where relief will pour in.   Over the past month I have given donations to Texas relief and then St John relief.  St John is one of my favorite islands.  This situation on Dominica is so much worse, so many people.  Don't know how to help them.  It's almost like, whats a couple of hundred bucks even going to do?   I have watched the earthquake coverage and I know hundreds have lost their lives.  When this is all said and done in Dominica this will be far worse.  Far worse than Puerto Rico too...

Yeah we're going to need to see a more substantial shift with the Euro guidance to really start taking this threat seriously but NC outer banks is definitely a spot worth watching.  It will be interesting to see how Jose's rate of decay affects the blocking to the north and east and how far NW Maria  can get before hitting the dreaded westerlies ahead of the approaching trough. Monitoring the speed, depth and tilt/positioning of the trough as well for any changes that could allow Maria to track further north but as of now a vast majority of ensemble members are either out to sea or a E NC threat before turning sharply out to sea.  

I'd be absolutely stunned if the eye of Maria reached the outer banks.....this is a classic protracted affair akin to Felix of 1995, in which its going to get close enough to evacuate the world, but in the end its going to be a couple of showery, blustery days.

There is no impetus to thrust this towards the shore, so its going to crawl and create RAD hallucinations until the trough finally kicks it east.

If it hadn't already gained so much latitude then the south side of the ridge could have shoved it into FL or GA, but here it becomes trapped in the lull underneath the ridge.

10 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'd be absolutely stunned if the eye of Maria reached the outer banks.....this is a classic protracted affair akin to Felix of 1995, in which its going to get close enough to evacuate the world, but in the end its going to be a couple of showery, blustery days.

There is no impetus to thrust this towards the shore, so its going to crawl and create RAD hallucinations until the trough finally kicks it east.

If it hadn't already gained so much latitude then the south side of the ridge could have shoved it into FL or GA, but here it becomes trapped in the lull underneath the ridge.

I totally agree with ya...   Do you think that if Maria did get as far NW as the 12Z GFS suggests that some of the moisture could get entrained in the frontal system or even a PRE this far north?  You guys got some good rain down in SNE but the surface is dry up here.  Would be nice just to get some rain, somehow from Maria.  

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

I totally agree with ya...   Do you think that if Maria did get as far NW as the 12Z GFS suggests that some of the moisture could get entrained in the frontal system or even a PRE this far north?  You guys got some good rain down in SNE but the surface is dry up here.  Would be nice just to get some rain, somehow from Maria.  

Most of SNE got none . It's gotten very dry 

Archived