Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Satellite imagery overnight shows a pretty rapid breakdown.  I'm supposed to bring a bunch of people to Plymouth for Wed, Thurs, Fri... I'm wondering if we might sneak in decent days on Thurs/Fri now.

Thursday ifffy with closer pass from stall. Onshore flow and maybe rain.

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The islands that missed Irma ftl. Although, it should not have anything near the intensity Irma had.

It's pretty small compared to Irma as well so I think Dominica takes a direct but I'm not sure if any of the other islands get into the eyewall.  Puerto Rico is in trouble though as of now. 

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It's pretty small compared to Irma as well so I think Dominica takes a direct but I'm not sure if any of the other islands get into the eyewall.  Puerto Rico is in trouble though as of now. 

Look west  You said yesterday it wouldn't be a major until PR also St Kitts Nevis and the VI are under the gun.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/travel/after-irma-caribbean-tourism-island-by-island.html

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

He already looks post/extratropical. Can see frontal features.

Isn't it possible we see increasing winds during transition, or does the wind field just get larger? 

Wondering if this is worth chasing to Chatham? Probably not considering the timing kinda sucks. I might just hit a north shore beach at high tide.

29 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Isn't it possible we see increasing winds during transition, or does the wind field just get larger? 

Wondering if this is worth chasing to Chatham? Probably not considering the timing kinda sucks. I might just hit a north shore beach at high tide.

Mark,   I wouldn't bother chasing unless you like watching high surf.  Watching so many hurricanes over my lifetime in New England all the wind is to the right of the eye.  So unless something changes its going to be your typical nor easter stuff.  Since Jose is moving slowly I would guess some impressive wave action on east or south facing beaches.  Watching huge breakers might be more fun than the occasional 45mph gust coming through the trees!

16 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Mark,   I wouldn't bother chasing unless you like watching high surf.  Watching so many hurricanes over my lifetime in New England all the wind is to the right of the eye.  So unless something changes its going to be your typical nor easter stuff.  Since Jose is moving slowly I would guess some impressive wave action on east or south facing beaches.  Watching huge breakers might be more fun than the occasional 45mph gust coming through the trees!

While I would agree this is not worth chasing, this will be/is a non tropical storm when it gets abeam of us with plenty of wind (gale force probably) on the NW side.   A nor'easter basically.

1 hour ago, dmillz25 said:

Looks like Maria will make a closer pass through the DR than Irma. I hope the damage isn't that serious but it was pretty bad with Irma

Looks like PR will get a direct hit but Maria will pass north of DR and Hispaniola with the main part of the storm.  Shouldn't lose much energy but as of now recurving is favored vs CONUS landfall (thanks to loopy Jose.)

Archived