joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z EURO solution is interesting like the 00z and 6z GFS runs and 00z EURO run.  The hurricane tracking models show another loop off of the Mid Atlantic happening heading towards SNE.  Some forecast a stronger category one hurricane or lower end category two hurricane.  Jose already peaked at intense category four status with 150mph winds.  The satellite imagery of two category four or stronger hurricanes with Irma and Jose was astounding.

8 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Yeah some areas on Big Pine got destroyed. What other keys got a lot of damage?

I'm seeing a ton of damage everywhere between eastern Cudjoe Key and Marathon. Homes unroofed at least up to Islamorada, then you have this total mess on Christmas Tree Island west of KW. Not sure I subscribe to the narrative that the Keys made it out in good shape.

1Z57N3N.png

14 hours ago, MJOatleast7 said:

Actually in terms of force applied it's proportional to the cube of the wind speed. So a 20mph difference applies more force moving into objects, much more than most people think.

Many people think it varies by the square of the wind speed, but it's actually the cube. This really shows up when considering flood waters' ability to move a car when only a foot or so deep -- get that water moving at higher velocity and it exerts disproportionately more force than you'd think.

Here's a great site that explains it: https://www.homepower.com/articles/wind-power/design-installation/ask-experts-wind-speed-cubed

it's cube because of volume no?  Wind isn't like a flat sheet, it's more like a parcel so it makes sense that it would be cubed.

13 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

EEk, look at this velocity capture, looks like they were just enough west to miss eyewall winds, Miami had a greater pressure gradient, isobars were real tight East of the storm, also a lot of the damage you see east is surge related

Key west.jpg

Was 154.3 the maximum recorded gust with the system as far as the US is concerned?  And I think 112 was the maximum sustained wind?  I am looking around to see what the different max sustained and gusts were for the different nations that Irma visited.  I read that Cuba had gusts close to 160 (not sure about sustained.)  No info from the other islands.

Archived