Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

this time sensitive image is pretty spectacular ...and rare!

full bird nor'easter cyclone SE of NS, transitioning cyclone over the interior SE associated with remnant Irma, and pure tropical cyclone east of the Bahamas...

that's like batting for the Cycle!

avn-animated.gif

what you have there is 3 fetches into the SE Coast, no wonder they had record tidal flooding

My town buried utility wires along a section of lakefront this spring.  The process is ridiculously complicated once you start getting into easements for those green transformer boxes and all the blasting required. The final cost was $786,000 for 1/3rd of a mile.  Makes a lot more sense to just deal with a few hours/days of power outages per year.

Posted this over in the Tropic Headquarters:

I think people tend to focus on the icon in the center of the track when looking at the cone.  I would like to see the NHC change the way it is represented for the 3, 4, and 5 day predictions. Instead of placing the icon in the center of the cone consider placing an icon on each edge of the cone for days 3-5 and connecting them across the cone similar to what is done in the experimental forecast of the arrival of tropical force winds.

Seems like thanks to its interaction with Cuba,  Florida came out of this better than expected. Much different beast when most wind gusts were measured in the 90s and low 100s, with a couple higher maxes like the 142mph at Naples....than if those spots were seeing 150mph with spot gusts to 185mph like the islands did.

Miami with a max gust in the 90s is probably much better than the 72 hour forecast of like 160mph.

Proud to say that we are helping with supporting humanitarian missions from our customers to islands hit by Irma and have no observations to report. It is becoming a horror scene there and really is not getting the media coverage it deserves. 

If people have a few bucks to spare, if suggest making a donation for those islands. Anybody from the USVI on east. I know what happened in FL and TX sucked, but those people on those islands are very poor and could use the help.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Seems like thanks to its interaction with Cuba,  Florida came out of this better than expected. Much different beast when most wind gusts were measured in the 90s and low 100s, with a couple higher maxes like the 142mph at Naples....than if those spots were seeing 150mph with spot gusts to 185mph like the islands did.

Miami with a max gust in the 90s is probably much better than the 72 hour forecast of like 160mph.

Yeah sigh of relief especially with surge. Although the areas that got the eyewall really got smacked good. The east side of the state sort of took it on the chin with a large area of 80-100mpg gusts and surge. I think that's what impressed me. Thanks to the high to the north, the wind field from Irma became a massive pressure gradient.

The keys are really in rough shape. I'm hearing some bad stories coming from there.

25 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah sigh of relief especially with surge. Although the areas that got the eyewall really got smacked good. The east side of the state sort of took it on the chin with a large area of 80-100mpg gusts and surge. I think that's what impressed me. Thanks to the high to the north, the wind field from Irma became a massive pressure gradient.

The keys are really in rough shape. I'm hearing some bad stories coming from there.

The keys are Barbuda bad. Much of them gone/ uninhabitable 

55 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I don't want to downplay the fact that a huge area saw gusting winds over 80mph.  And that eyewall location saw those 125-150mph gusts.  It just seems like this ended up "relatively better" for Florida than it was looking like 3-4 days out when a CAT 5 might roll into Miami.  CAT 5 really is the difference between solid damage and just being wiped off the Earth.

Still, when you really think about it...I know their vegetation has evolved to take high winds from tropical storms...can you imagine getting even sustained 50mph with gusts to 80mph for hour after hour here in New England?  It's happened before and will happen again, but over such a wide area that would level most hardwood forests in New England, especially with heavy rain to saturate the soils.  I certainly can't imagine what those conditions that Mike Bettes saw on TWC yesterday evening on live TV would be like here in New England. 

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah I don't want to downplay the fact that a huge area saw gusting winds over 80mph.  And that eyewall location saw those 125-150mph gusts.  It just seems like this ended up "relatively better" for Florida than it was looking like 3-4 days out when a CAT 5 might roll into Miami.  CAT 5 really is the difference between solid damage and just being wiped off the Earth.

Still, when you really think about it...I know their vegetation has evolved to take high winds from tropical storms...can you imagine getting even sustained 50mph with gusts to 80mph for hour after hour here in New England?  It's happened before and will happen again, but over such a wide area that would level most hardwood forests in New England, especially with heavy rain to saturate the soils.  I certainly can't imagine what those conditions that Mike Bettes saw on TWC yesterday evening on live TV would be like here in New England. 

Oh no question. Our trees are softies compared to those. The palms and other species are made for strong winds. And the building codes there are made for Cat Vs too, so there is that. If there was one good thing from Andrew, he really helped drastically improve the building codes.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Oh no question. Our trees are softies compared to those. The palms and other species are made for strong winds. And the building codes there are made for Cat Vs too, so there is that. If there was one good thing from Andrew, he really helped drastically improve the building codes.

How their trees hold up to snow load though?

Archived