joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A co-worker's younger brother lives in Houston and his house just passed inspection so he can go back in... knee deep water outside but she said 'Not as much indoors'.  Her parents live in Puerto Rico.  She's stressing.  She said it seemed like a month without water or electricity when she lived there and I think she said it was Hugo that went through.

The current consensus, including the 12z GFS, resembles the copy of the Dawn Awakening that even James' mother had discarded.

It is absolutely unimaginable the cost, in terms of both loss of life and monetary damage that could dwarf Katrina, that may be incurred within 102 hours.

My girlfriend has a friend stuck in Miami...she as supposed to get out yesterday, and she mocked me for expressing concern that that would not happen.

She is now scared and hopeful to leave Friday.

I told her to find a brick building, and  lay down in an interior room should she remain when and/if this current forecast verifies-

9 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Since that's the case of 95% of any tropical system, why make this individual one any different?  :)

We're either looking at some rains after it's inland run or some great Misqu. surf for Steve.  Pick your poison.

The Carolina's 'out' is this interaction with Hispaniola, Cuba, PR and the FL peninsula.  They're going to get wacked, but if those three interactions take place to a significant level, it will likely be quite a bit weaker than it is now.

I do not think that opportunity is very realistic....PR would not weaken it, anyway....but its skirting north of them.

Hispanola it wil whiff...and will likely skirt Cuba at most.

If it hits FL, its a cat 3 for the Carolinas as opposed to a 4 or a 5...and it could regain cat 4 status, anyway.

16 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Many of us that favor this general outcome have remained pretty steadfast and consistent-

Yep, you've had a level head....even despite that drunken idiot giving you crap last night. Definitely concerned for MIA and up the coast. 15 miles means so much and impossible to pinpoint. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Yep, you've had a level head....even despite that drunken idiot giving you crap last night. Definitely concerned for MIA and up the coast. 15 miles means so much and impossible to pinpoint. 

People are emotional and scared....I don't hold it against him.

Three years ago I would have destroyed the thread with a retaliatory tirade....but not these days-

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You guys are different...I can be a jerk in here because we all know each other hahaha

I don't post much in the main thread, and you saw why...thought I could get away with it at 2am, but negative.

This is true, I stay out of the main threads, To much drama that i don't need.........lol

1 hour ago, ROOSTA said:

Everyone less my cross-the-street neighbor are leaving. She and I will hole down in my house (4 dogs, two cats...la-DE-da-da) reinforced crawl space cinder-block enclosed. Ole saying is confront your fears! Still time for that track to adjust. Roads already becoming jammed...oy vey.  

Is she single?

Just now, JC-CT said:

Is she single?

Brand new...lanai on the front is concerning because it faces due N. 1X12 adjustable bolts, truss is 4X6. I'm somewhat confident because it survived 2004's triple header.
Reminded me to take pictures, lots and lots of pictures. TY, probably post a before and after... 

1 minute ago, ROOSTA said:

Brand new...lanai on the front is concerning because it faces due N. 1X12 adjustable bolts, truss is 4X6. I'm somewhat confident because it survived 2004's triple header.
Reminded me to take pictures, lots and lots of pictures. TY, probably post a before and after... 

What? I meant your neighbor.

Hurricane Stat Man The Snowman at your Service - 

Here are some stats on Sustained "Sustained 1-Minute Wind Speed" if you will as this is an area Irma is kicking serious tush in.  I won't post but a few Typhoon numbers, as they have all the records worldwide usually.  But this is for every other basin):  

Longest Time as 140mph+ Storm - 

Atlantic Hurricane Ivan (2004) - 174 Hours  

Atlantic Hurricane Isabel (2003) - 120 Hours  

IRMA 32 HOURS  

Longest Time as Category 5 Hurricane - 

Atlantic Hurricane David (1979) - 42 Hours  

Atlantic Hurricane Mitch (1998) - 36 Hours  

IRMA 32 HOURS  

Longest Time as 175mph+ Storm - 

#1 HURRICANE IRMA - 31 Hours and Counting  

Eastern Pacific Hurricane Patricia (2015) - 24+ Hours  

Atlantic Hurricane Camile (1969) - 24 Hours  

Atlantic Hurricane Mitch (1998) - 24 Hours  

Atlantic Hurricane Allen (1980) - 18+ Hours  

Eastern Pacific Hurricane Rick (2009) - 18 Hours  

(Typhoon Haiyan in 2003 did 36 Hours / Typhoon Meranti in 2016 did 48 Hours+)  

Longest Time as 180mph+ Storm - 

#1 HURRICANE IRMA - 27 Hours and Counting  

Eastern Pacific Hurricane Patricia (2015) - 24+ Hours  

Atlantic Hurricane Camile (1969) - 24 Hours  

Atlantic Hurricane Allen (1980) - 18 Hours  (Allen Attained 180mph 3 different times)  

Atlantic Hurricane Gilbert (1988) - 12 Hours  

(Typhoon Meranti in 2016 did 48 Hours)  

Longest Time as 185mph+ Storm - 

#1 HURRICANE IRMA - 24 Hours and Counting  

Eastern Pacific Hurricane Patricia (2015) - 24 Hours  

Longest Time as 190mph+ Storm - 

Atlantic Hurricane Camile (1969) - 12 Hours  

(Typhoon Haiyan in 2003 did 12 Hours)  

Longest Time as 200mph+ Storm - 

Eastern Pacific Hurricane Patricia (2015) - 12 Hours  

Dawn Awakening is that the prequel to "Fall Asleep At Sunset" ...  what's a Dawn Awakening ?  

anyway, there is still some hope that this won't even do more than fringe Florida.. Although, we probably are just into the better predictive time scales ...barely.   There's time tho - 

Archived