Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

59 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Jesus do some of these posters have issues. Lol. It's weather. Some of us love and wish for extreme wx. Sorry if that upsets some people. Deal with it 

this is actually a solid post there Kevin.   

i'll add ... there are those that may need to learn/realize that social-media really isn't the pulpit for airing their grievances toward others when it comes to watching nature unfold - particularly, when those grievances involve the abstract nature of peoples desire. that will never work.  holy schit.  note:  you are not going to effect changing the world in here - not when it comes to the murky nature of the public.  sorry.  if it wells up to the point where you want to boil over for it, take a f'n break and do something else; like, research where your point of views may actually be worth something and go there.  

having said all that... i think some of those that critique others are actually being sort of ...disingenuous, for lack of better word, almost hypocritical underneath that facade of concern. and it comes in different flavors, too.

one is the envy version: truth be told, they want (really) to be a part of the excitement of whatever the topic at hand is, so not being able to...they ply this reverse psychology crap. buy they're really talking themselves out of their own anguish.  they are here, on this site, which inherently deals with covering weather events at a both personal/anecdotal/conjectural level, and at times, attention-span permitting... a semblance of even science.  none of which can happen in a vacuum people.  Hello!  if you are in here sifting around posting, and engaging in it all over the longer hall as a contribution yourself, can it!

the other one is bargaining - that age old mind-f game people play when they are not facing what it is that really is driving their reality - acceptance and all that bag. in this paradigm, the user really wants the storm so bad they are afraid that any present richness in the dystopian drama they have ...may end up being false when the inevitability of the models or whatever device that delivers the excitement, prove wrong.  so, they do something similar as a defense mechanism: if they brandish others enough it somehow doesn't annoy them as badly when they don't get big show - but that's a denial process.

then of course there may be people really that pious in matters.. .and they have an appreciation for weather events.  if so, they would sniff the waters in here and probably never come back  

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

i'll add ... there are those that may need to learn/realize that social-media really isn't the pulpit for airing their grievances toward others when it comes to watching nature unfold - particularly, when those grievances involve the abstract nature of peoples desire. that will never work.  holy schit.  note:  you are not going to effect changing the world in here - not when it comes to the murky nature of the public.  sorry.  if it wells up to the point where you want to boil over for it, take a f'n break and do something else; like, research where your point of views may actually be worth something and go there.  

having said all that... i think some of those that critique others are actually being sort of ...disingenuous, for lack of better word, almost hypocritical underneath that facade of concern. and it comes in different flavors, too.

one is the envy version: truth be told, they want (really) to be a part of the excitement of whatever the topic at hand is, so not being able to...they ply this reverse psychology crap. buy they're really talking themselves out of their own anguish.  they are here, on this site, which inherently deals with covering weather events at a both personal/anecdotal/conjectural level, and at times, attention-span permitting... a semblance of even science.  none of which can happen in a vacuum people.  Hello!  if you are in here sifting around posting, and engaging in it all over the longer hall as a contribution yourself, can it!

the other one is bargaining - that age old mind-f game people play when they are not facing what it is that really is driving their reality - acceptance and all that bag. in this paradigm, the user really wants the storm so bad they are afraid that any present richness in the dystopian drama they have ...may end up being false when the inevitability of the models or whatever device that delivers the excitement, prove wrong.  so, they do something similar as a defense mechanism: if they brandish others enough it somehow doesn't annoy them as badly when they don't get big show - but that's a denial process.

then of course there may be people really that pious in matters.. .and they have an appreciation for weather events.  if so, they would sniff the waters in here and probably never come back  

Yeah.. you will never see me rooting on death or property damage or injury to anyone. I challenge any of these weenies to find a post where I've ever done that. I just happen to be fascinated and obsessed with extreme wx. So I fully admit that I root extreme events on. That does not mean I root death and destruction on. Sure extreme wx brings that at times, but I only root for the wx. I'm sorry if people misconstrue that for hoping for misfortune.

30 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You're wrong, John.  It is.

23 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah.. you will never see me rooting on death or property damage or injury to anyone. I challenge any of these weenies to find a post where I've ever done that. I just happen to be fascinated and obsessed with extreme wx. So I fully admit that I root extreme events on. That does not mean I root death and destruction on. Sure extreme wx brings that at times, but I only root for the wx. I'm sorry if people misconstrue that for hoping for misfortune.

Death, no. Property damage? Literally all the time.

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No. Trees down in yards on grass is not property damage 

The above infers that "property damage" is limited to buildings and infrastructure - seems too narrow.  One could try cutting a tree on someone else's lot and see how that works out.  Or consider the bill for having someone clean up the yard after a half dozen trees blow over.   :)

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I'm all for the extreme weather, but I'd appreciate seeing the gas prices stop rising thank you very much.

As we thankfully become increasingly reliant on domestic rather than imported oil (we'll likely pass Saudi Arabia as the 2nd largest producer next year), I imagine hits to things like Texas have a greater impact than they might have had in the past.

It's hard to understand how one thinks to comment on the merit of extreme events knowing that people have and will die. It's mute. Should never have made the comment. I apologized IM style. Drop it for Irma sake.

Have a decaying frontal event commencing. If memory serves correct...tropical entities tend to ride just to the right of the PRE? 

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I'm all for the extreme weather, but I'd appreciate seeing the gas prices stop rising thank you very much.

Yeah . The Gas Station where the Powerball ticket was sold went from 2.19 on that date to 2.69 as of today.

53 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Good luck, That's not happening soon, Meanwhile i'm watching polyethylene resin prices escalate because of feedstocks from natural gas are on the move as well.

I prayed for those in a dire situation in the NE Lesser Antilles, its horrible what they have to go through.  Hopefully some shear will weaken her before Irma heads into the Bahamas as those high octance SSTs and how deep they are over the Bahamas is scary to even think about when it comes to a heat engine ready to take advantage of anything she can to strengthen.  She has to be the most prolific heat engine we have ever witnessed outside of the Caribbean Sea and GOM.  She is nearly perfect structure, her CDO is suffering maybe from mid level shear as a prominent weather man said on twitter to me.  I think she will intensify once in the Bahamas though.  A peak intensity of 890mb and 200mph winds seems probable.

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

As we thankfully become increasingly reliant on domestic rather than imported oil (we'll likely pass Saudi Arabia as the 2nd largest producer next year), I imagine hits to things like Texas have a greater impact than they might have had in the past.

Not about the oil it's about the refineries that's where most of them are

Meanwhile.......is anyone even noting Jose?   Looks like he is going through RI.  Eye begining to show.  Just ran through day 10.  Gets stuck and comes SW as a powerful cane.  Then sometime of trough perhaps approaching the East Coast.    Way out in fantasyland but Jose could be the one to watch for us down the road.....

Archived