SnowHabit
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 letters:
I B F'D

Still time for this to change the road it's on. I'm nervous for my neighbors. Guy cross the street (don't know what he was thinking) had all his trees crowned, bottom limbs gone. Not good having top-heavy Souther Oak trees. Many double-wide and dilapidated mobile dwellings and sheds being used as homes. Of the 40 homes I guess only a handful could withstand a CAT3...CAT4 and above anything less than re-enforced concrete is in jeopardy.       

8 minutes ago, ROOSTA said:

4 letters:
I B F'D

Still time for this to change the road it's on. I'm nervous for my neighbors. Guy cross the street (don't know what he was thinking) had all his trees crowned, bottom limbs gone. Not good having top-heavy Souther Oak trees. Many double-wide and dilapidated mobile dwellings and sheds being used as homes. Of the 40 homes I guess only a handful could withstand a CAT3...CAT4 and above anything less than re-enforced concrete is in jeopardy.       

Time to start making preparations Don.

21 minutes ago, ROOSTA said:

4 letters:
I B F'D

When you get into these upper ranges there's so much stuff flying around that there's a pretty good amount of luck (and hyper-local geography) involved regarding how much damage a well built structure takes.

...jeez the 18Z GFS.  It just keeps getting worse for S FL.   Ridiculous overdone  pressure 890.  Yet I said the Houston rainfall amounts were way overdone...

Lots of family in S Florida.  Have spent the past hour making some calls.  The reactions...  Gene,  I was just watching TV they really don't know where its going.  Gene,  Wei've been through plenty of hurricanes.   My 89 year old step father that lives alone and is on oxygen......Gene, I'm fine.  I can go over to a neighbors for a night till it blows over...

So I don't get much reaction.  The frustration for me is when they say, the local weatherman says this or that.  Your up in NH,  your not a weatherman.   I bet with my knowledge and the knowledge I get through AMWX I could debate most of these local guys and hold my own..

Let's hope things change and that Euro track of yesterday comes back and this recurves out to sea..

Rant ova...

7 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

Hurricane model HMON @ 18z progged to hit FL Keys 00z Sunday with 175 mph sustained and higher gusts before making landfall in S FL.  870 mb.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=hmon&region=11L&pkg=mslp_wind&runtime=2017090418&fh=126&xpos=0&ypos=291.3333435058594

Most likely overdone. 

43 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Weenie model.

GFS gets down to 891mb.  Max winds show as about 135 mph.  That pressure calls for CAT 5 winds unless impeded by topography in vicinity.  Almost all the southeastern peninsula and the entire southern end are covered by the Everglades, the world's largest sawgrass swamp.  Not too inhibiting.  If anything, GFS wind field is underdone at that pressure. 

15 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

GFS gets down to 891mb.

I would say that may be overdone as well seeing there has only been one hurricane to reach 892 mb and LF the US, There have been others in the 880's but never hit the mainland, None ever 870 mb, So i would say that's way overdone, Must be a relative of the DGEX.

35 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

HWRF spared Donnie but destroyed EEks paradise  Things trending west each day. On the table is a GOM run now 

Still odds favor Fl and SE coast but GOM is certainly coming into play now.  Who knows, although ensemble members are leaning against that solution currently, Irma could still thread the needle into the GOM with only marginal land interaction.

Archived