SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh...see.. this is what I was afraid of... Gee, if I cover every possible scenario, what will the atmosphere come up with to make me wrong -

Everything I discussed conceptually in the previous diatribe is still true (imho).. however, this run is showing that the next trough (and we did also discuss this idea, yesterday as well) is speeding up in the guidance now..  Careening through the Lake to steel the race like a dark horse... it latches onto Irma and foists her up through NYS as a remnant inland pine tipper gale and (probably) flash flooder.  

200 naut mi east with all that and heh, we have to re-introduce a tide/surge and wind threat along the entire EC to NE...  Anyone care to say that can't all happen? 

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Anything past truncation is not even worth much mention.  Lol

Nah...you're being too critical...  Even those of us who have been trying to keep things in a healthy perspective (which includes, not "believing" any given cycle and various other cautions...) are not exactly telling people that analyzing the runs is useless.  That's not true either.  It's just about keeping vigil with that healthy perspective - ...

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Nah...you're being too critical...  Even those of us who have been trying to keep things in a healthy perspective (which includes, not "believing" any given cycle and various other cautions...) are not exactly telling people that analyzing the runs is useless.  That's not true either.  It's just about keeping vigil with that healthy perspective - ...

I place it in the not likely category just like in winter when we seem to get the HR 384 blizzards that keep showing themselves ea run that never materialize.

Today's set of runs does not really have a glass half full look for anybody in the SE.   Buzz saw up the coast with VIP is obviously the worst outcome but nothing else looks very pretty either.  still need to wait until Wednesday to see if maybe we get some consensus for interaction  with the bigger islands.  Historically Cuba knows how to tame a hurricane with its mountains.

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Oh...see.. this is what I was afraid of... Gee, if I cover every possible scenario, what will the atmosphere come up with to make me wrong -

Everything I discussed conceptually in the previous diatribe is still true (imho).. however, this run is showing that the next trough (and we did also discuss this idea, yesterday as well) is speeding up in the guidance now..  Careening through the Lake to steel the race like a dark horse... it latches onto Irma and foists her up through NYS as a remnant inland pine tipper gale and (probably) flash flooder.  

200 naut mi east with all that and heh, we have to re-introduce a tide/surge and wind threat along the entire EC to NE...  Anyone care to say that can't all happen? 

Tip, the GFS was actually showing that @ 00z and has been leading the way with the southern solutions.

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Betsy? 1965 I think.

During Andrew,  Perrine 7 miles  or so SW of downtown gusted to 177mph.  I would guess that Cat 3 conditions were experienced within city limits.

The scary part about this storm is the south to north path.  Unlike Andrew that came in as a buzz saw from east to west a Irma type  south to north path up the coast, with the potential eye on the coast is the worst possible outcome.  Back to reality.  The chances of that happening with Irma out in the Mid Atlantic are extremely, extremely slim.  Something within a several hundred mile cone is more certain.  Still it has to get emergency planners sick to their stomach to see both the Euro and GFS show something so similar.

7 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

During Andrew,  Perrine 7 miles  or so SW of downtown gusted to 177mph.  I would guess that Cat 3 conditions were experienced within city limits.

The scary part about this storm is the south to north path.  Unlike Andrew that came in as a buzz saw from east to west a Irma type  south to north path up the coast, with the potential eye on the coast is the worst possible outcome.  Back to reality.  The chances of that happening with Irma out in the Mid Atlantic are extremely, extremely slim.  Something within a several hundred mile cone is more certain.  Still it has to get emergency planners sick to their stomach to see both the Euro and GFS show something so similar.

Also, the NHC in Coral Gables at the time, about 10 miles SW of Miami Beach had a gust to 164 MPH that knocked over their radar system.

https://noaanhc.wordpress.com/2017/08/23/hurricane-andrew-working-in-a-category-5-storm/

Hey a shout out to Bostonfella been along time i'm in the big leagues now Jerry hope all is well. Hurricanes  have a whole new meaning for me down here . I miss the snowstorms but whats a few inches amongst friends . Getting prepared down here isn't like spraying cooking oil on the snow thrower blades i'll tell ya that much.

18 minutes ago, mulen said:

Hey a shout out to Bostonfella been along time i'm in the big leagues now Jerry hope all is well. Hurricanes  have a whole new meaning for me down here . I miss the snowstorms but whats a few inches amongst friends . Getting prepared down here isn't like spraying cooking oil on the snow thrower blades i'll tell ya that much.

Be safe Jeff-seriously higher stakes for sure!  

Archived