• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

This may seem sort of counter motif for the moment but ... I would not be shocked if Irma actually weakens some over the next 24 hours...

How much?  heh...

Reason for that is that SAL is in the vicinity.  The Saharan air layer product shows (also a nice outline of Irma's truer circulation/physical presence in the troposphere btw) that SAL contamination has been entrained and is wrapping completely around the western outer reaches of the cyclonic envelope.   

sal.jpg.0376a1dc7d2c9826ba4f9121da9e4465.jpg

I think/suspect that is why the outer most arm bands have sort of disintegrated in recent hours, leaving a faux annular look to the cyclone in recent frames on sat. 

However, I also postulate that TC's have thresholds? Above which they become a bit more resistance to SAL, such that their inner most cores are so integrated with the ocean in the total transfer-physics between IE and the storms internal mechanics ... that it offset the negative impact of SAL enough that the core stays in tact.  This is may be an an opportunity to test that question -

In any case, there is SAL wrapping around it, and it does offer a plausible explanation for it's outer bands being shed at present.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heh...interesting.  less clustering around S/N Carolinas and more spread up the coast.. ... Oh man - so much time.  So little certitude.

By the way, TPC mentions the dry air entraining in their 11 am -

it's all academic... I mean the water temps out there are marginal anyway. If you think about ...Irma's over-achieved intensity in the bell-curve of other TC at marginal SSTs.  That part of the equation improves every inch forward now, but... as Nick noted there's plausible shear episode(s) out there in time too.

Nevertheless, these mixed signals don't seem to deter the Global models (at least) from running her up to major status approaching that climatological "key hole" that's some 60 to 120 naut mi ENE of PR... days from now.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

GFS 897, yea OK

yeah ... we should be inclined to think as such, but ... after about 7 cycles showing pressures between thereabouts and 905 mb, it gets harder to knock consistency.

that was a marvel on the charts four days ago and its still trying to hang that up there

I watched the progression as the GFS just came out.  I though this would be a whiff, was surprised it did what it did.  It seemed that in this run the high built back in over us quicker and I thought it was going to kick it out to the SE before landfall.  Just looking at the 6Z compared to the 12Z GFS run doesn't it seem like this is more of a "threading the needle" run as to landfall?

Archived