Weathernoob335
July 18-26th Heatwave

Chicago Storm

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

^terrible climo's. 

St Louis in particular... the month they are putting up would be in elite territory if it were happening in Chicago or Milwaukee.  Already 17 days this month of 90+ with 5 of those days 100+

Yesterday (July 20) heat indices went from 110-115 in Missouri and Iowa, at maximum. At least one town in Missouri had 95/80. Today (July 21) it is already getting up to a heat index of 109 in the same places in Missouri where you see the 114 on this map. Yuck!

ItHJ6QP.gif

I guess the USA is not the only country feeling the abnormal heat

--

Hottest day in Shanghai’s history

Shanghai, China—with 24 million residents, the world’s eighth-largest city—had its hottest day ever recorded on Friday. Temperatures reached a preliminary high of 40.9°C (105.6°F) at the Xujiahui station in Shanghai, where temperatures have been monitored since 1872. The previous record high was 40.8°C, recorded in 2013, with the runner-up of 40.6°C also occurring that year.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/heat-sweat-and-ozone-plague-us-all-time-high-shanghai?__prclt=YBaC6N39

18 hours ago, Harry Perry said:

That's incredible. Imagine some of the areas deep in the corn belts - likely higher than what's shown on the map. 

Corn sweat is making this feel incredibly miserable. Go outside for a few minutes and I'm already breaking a sweat without even trying. Side note, Omaha hit 100 now. Been 4 years since that's happened. Seeing mid to upper air temps in the 100s in Kansas is incredible. Seems the dewpoints being in the 50s/60s is helping it not feel much worse.

Edit: Know it's just outside the forums region (well, Missouri Valley is in Iowa :P ) but the corn sweat misery is definitely showing itself with the heat index.

FB_IMG_1500672462927.jpg

6 hours ago, Chinook said:

I guess the USA is not the only country feeling the abnormal heat

--

Hottest day in Shanghai’s history

Shanghai, China—with 24 million residents, the world’s eighth-largest city—had its hottest day ever recorded on Friday. Temperatures reached a preliminary high of 40.9°C (105.6°F) at the Xujiahui station in Shanghai, where temperatures have been monitored since 1872. The previous record high was 40.8°C, recorded in 2013, with the runner-up of 40.6°C also occurring that year.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/heat-sweat-and-ozone-plague-us-all-time-high-shanghai?__prclt=YBaC6N39

I have family in Shanghai and it seems like they have record breaking heatwaves every year now. Oppressive humidity is perpetual in summer there so when the temperatures get into the high 30s the heat indices are insane, even in the middle of the night. My mom says that growing up under communism they didn't even have electric fans let alone A/C, that must've really sucked.

34 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

STL had a low of 85.  They had clouds earlier which will probably cost them a bit for max temp.

They made it up to 88*F with winds from the SW and then got knock backed down to 85*F as the outflow boundary blew through and winds flipped to the NW. The wake subsidence has probably squashed mixing heights as well. 

30 minutes ago, Powerball said:

They made it up to 88*F with winds from the SW and then got knock backed down to 85*F as the outflow boundary blew through and winds flipped to the NW. The wake subsidence has probably squashed mixing heights as well. 

85° for a low...amazing. The important question is what did TWC predict for their high?

106 on the 5 min obs at STL.  That is just incredible given the mitigating factors from this morning.  Would they have had a shot at 109-110?

I'm sure it's happened in other areas but I wonder how often anybody in the Midwest has gotten outflowed and still managed to recover into the mid 100s.

Archived