Newest Member
    Dano62
July 18-27th Severe Weather

Chicago Storm

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a nice pic ^^

Apparently, my storm on Saturday produced Vinton County's first tornado on record (it wasn't a slouch either, high-end EF-1).  That's the last county in OH to officially have a tornado on the books.  I got to the clearing where I snapped the wall cloud pic at 6:53PM EDT, so I was evidently just a few minutes too late for what really would've been an interesting catch.  I'm still not chasing solo down there again if I can avoid it :lol:

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service Charleston WV
623 PM EDT Sun Jul 23 2017

...TORNADO CONFIRMED NEAR 5 NNW MCARTHUR IN VINTON COUNTY OHIO...

Location...5 NNW Mcarthur in Vinton County Ohio
Date...July 22 2017
Estimated Time...648 PM EDT
Maximum EF-Scale Rating...EF1
Estimated Maximum Wind Speed...105 MPH
Maximum Path Width...230 Yards
Path Length...0.8 Miles
* Fatalities...0
* Injuries...0

* The information in this statement is preliminary and subject to
change pending final review of the event(s) and publication in
NWS Storm Data.

...Summary...
The National Weather Service in Charleston WV has confirmed a
tornado near 5 NNW Mcarthur in Vinton County Ohio on July
22 2017.

An EF1 tornado with winds estimated to 105 MPH touched down along
Locust Grove Road approximately 5 miles NNW of Mcarthur. The
tornado then traveled nearly parallel to Locust Grove Road before
dissipating 3 minutes later. Hundreds of trees were blown down or
snapped. Most of the roof of a metal barn was torn off and
deposited in a field approximately 50 feet away. A large tree also
fell on a van.

4 hours ago, IWXwx said:

...um, hello? Taken in White Co yesterday around 3:45 ET.  Damage reported, IWX sending a survey team out today.

WhiteCo0724.jpg

Was that taken north of Idaville/south of Bell Center?  IWX had some enhanced damage reports from that area.  

5 minutes ago, OHweather said:

Apparently, my storm on Saturday produced Vinton County's first tornado on record (it wasn't a slouch either, high-end EF-1).  That's the last county in OH to officially have a tornado on the books. 

Wow, that's surprising.  Geographically speaking, that county doesn't look THAT small.

25 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Wow, that's surprising.  Geographically speaking, that county doesn't look THAT small.

It's the least populated county in OH (around 11k) and is almost all trees with some hills. There's a chance there've been tornadoes that haven't hit anyone. It's just brutal to try and chase in.  I drove through heavy trees with absolutely no clearings or cell service for about 20 minutes before I got to that spot and had a visual. 

47 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Was that taken north of Idaville/south of Bell Center?  IWX had some enhanced damage reports from that area.  

Yes it was.

50 minutes ago, OHweather said:

Apparently, my storm on Saturday produced Vinton County's first tornado on record (it wasn't a slouch either, high-end EF-1).  That's the last county in OH to officially have a tornado on the books.  I got to the clearing where I snapped the wall cloud pic at 6:53PM EDT, so I was evidently just a few minutes too late for what really would've been an interesting catch.  I'm still not chasing solo down there again if I can avoid it :lol:

I have spotted/chased solo many times. Of course, I always have cell coverage, flat lands around here , and usually multiple people on radio watching radar, although it is much nicer to have a partner.

8 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Yes it was.

I have spotted/chased solo many times. Of course, I always have cell coverage, flat lands around here , and usually multiple people on radio watching radar, although it is much nicer to have a partner.

This was my first time going solo. It really wasn't bad until I went extended periods without coverage or a view. Just a lot to try to think about while also driving through some very heavy rain on interesting roads. If I go solo again I'll do it in an area that's just easier to work with overall. 

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL
1214 PM CDT Mon Jul 24 2017

...NWS DAMAGE SURVEY FOR 7/21/2017 TORNADO EVENT...

.Fulton, IL Tornado...

RATING: EF-1
ESTIMATED PEAK WIND: 105 MPH
PATH LENGTH /STATUTE/: 3.7 MILES
PATH WIDTH /MAXIMUM/: 150 yards
YARDS FATALITIES: 0
INJURIES:0

START DATE:             Jul 21 2017
START TIME:             7:19 PM CDT
START LOCATION:         1 N Fulton, Whiteside CO, IL
START LAT/LON:          41.8722N/-90.1666W

END DATE:               Jul 21 2017
END TIME:               7:26 PM CDT
END LOCATION:           4 NE Fulton, Whiteside CO, IL
END LAT/LON:            41.8965N/-90.1021W

SURVEY SUMMARY:
EF1 tornado touched down on the eastern shore of the Mississippi River
and hit the city of Fulton, IL.  The tornado tracked ENE causing damage
mainly to trees along its 3.7 mile long path.  Numerous trees were
snapped or uprooted along the path.  Damage to two garages were noted
where one lost a garage door and the other had a wall blown out.  One
farm outbuilding lost metal roofing as well.  Crop damage was also
noted in the 150 yard wide tornado.

11 hours ago, Central Illinois said:

00z NAM has a juiced atmosphere for Wednesday close to 300% above normal saturation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides a severe threat, there are indications of a heavy rain axis setting up. Areas near or perhaps more likely south of I-80.

Besides a severe threat, there are indications of a heavy rain axis setting up. Areas near or perhaps more likely south of I-80.

Severe threat will probably be meh.

Very surprised they have an expansive slight risk, as a marginal will likely do it.

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Poor diurnal timing out here for severe, but a quick look appears that the area could get pounded by heavy rain once again. Oh well, if we're working on a precip record, we might as well destroy it.

17 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Poor diurnal timing out here for severe, but a quick look appears that the area could get pounded by heavy rain once again. Oh well, if we're working on a precip record, we might as well destroy it.

So far so good! Still wettest on record to date. 

Agreed about severe prospects. Looking even more unfavorable in the severe department than the past couple of overnight storm systems. Then sunny and cool wx through next week! I'm OK with that at this point

I'm hoping the heavy rain doesn't materialize this time.  Had a decent amount of water in the basement over the weekend.  It's only done that a few times, and not this much.  Only about 1-2 months left in this house if all goes well with the house I'm bidding on.  Back to the QC. :tomato:

We need it badly down in C IL 2-4" would really help corn and everything else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the convection-allowing models, including the HRW-ARW, show that some areas of 1.50" plus might be possible in IA/ MO/ IL for tomorrow (12z Wed. to 12z Thu). I expect kind of a messy severe storm scenario, with fairly high dew points, but not too many severe reports.

pFhCbAb.png

10 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Today's heavy rain/severe event is really pooping out, on the models at least, as thick clouds and slowly-decaying convection have overspread the region.

Not yet in my backyard, however--SPI is now under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning:

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
National Weather Service Lincoln IL
902 PM CDT WED JUL 26 2017

The National Weather Service in Lincoln has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  Menard County in central Illinois...
  Northwestern Sangamon County in central Illinois...

* Until 945 PM CDT

* At 902 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm was located over Petersburg,
  or 16 miles southwest of Mason City, moving east at 30 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and penny size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Expect damage to roofs, siding, and trees.

* Locations impacted include...
  Springfield, Sherman, Rochester, Riverton, Petersburg, Athens,
  Williamsville, Ashland, Pleasant Plains, Greenview, Tallula,
  Jerome, Southern View, Leland Grove, Grandview, Spaulding, Clear
  Lake, Cantrall, Atterberry and Salisbury.

This includes the following highways...
Interstate 55 between mile markers 92 and 110.
Interstate 72 between mile markers 97 and 108.

10 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

We went from a Day 5 15% to a Day 1 marginal. IMO SPC is trying to get too cute with these Day 4-8 outlooks at times. A day 4 or beyond zone really should be reserved for higher-confidence, higher-impact events. Say, something they expect to be at least an ENH (30% for at least 1 hazard) by Day 1.

This is sort of off subject from what you're saying but my impression is that the NAM really struggled with this event.  I wasn't paying a ton of attention to the setup but I distinctly remember it progging a fairly decent surface low and deep layer shear. Looking at mesoanalysis, we don't have anything like that.  Maybe it had been struggling with convective feedback or something.

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

This is sort of off subject from what you're saying but my impression is that the NAM really struggled with this event.  I wasn't paying a ton of attention to the setup but I distinctly remember it progging a fairly decent surface low and deep layer shear. Looking at mesoanalysis, we don't have anything like that.  Maybe it had been struggling with convective feedback or something.

One of the mets at either IND or IWX mentioned that a couple of days ago, really discarded the NAM because of that

Archived