Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 18-27th Severe Weather

Chicago Storm

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Hoosier said:

00z NAM really targets the area of southern WI/northern IL that was hit hard recently.  

This ring of fire setup looks like it could produce multiple rounds with heavy rainfall once again. This area can't handle that kind of rain.

6 hours ago, tuanis said:

This ring of fire setup looks like it could produce multiple rounds with heavy rainfall once again. This area can't handle that kind of rain.

I'm glad the Rock River flows north/south through far northern IL/southern WI.  That area always seems to get dumped on from these type of events.  If the river flowed east/west through a large portion of that area we'd be in some serious ****.

On a technical basis, how does this compare to the upper Midwest flooding event of June 2008? Just going off memory, I seem to recall at its worst that was a lot more widespread, seemingly everywhere that had a river or stream was flooded.

So far this event's worst impacts have been more localized but have been severe where they have happened (such as Burlington, WI).

40 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

On a technical basis, how does this compare to the upper Midwest flooding event of June 2008? Just going off memory, I seem to recall at its worst that was a lot more widespread, seemingly everywhere that had a river or stream was flooded.

So far this event's worst impacts have been more localized but have been severe where they have happened (such as Burlington, WI).

2008 was insane.  The Cedar River had never exceeded 20 ft in Cedar Rapids' history.  Even during the great flood spring/summer of 1993, it only managed to hit 19.2 ft.  On June 13th, 2008, the river crested at 31 ft.

While not yet severe, ILX currently has their Doppler down for maintenance until either later tomorrow or Thursday, and this comes out:

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Lincoln IL
850 PM CDT TUE JUL 18 2017

ILZ036-040-041-190215-
Mason-Schuyler-Fulton-
850 PM CDT TUE JUL 18 2017

...SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SOUTH CENTRAL FULTON...EASTERN
SCHUYLER AND CENTRAL MASON COUNTIES UNTIL 915 PM CDT...

At 849 PM CDT, Doppler radar was tracking a strong thunderstorm near
Havana, moving east at 40 mph.

Dime size hail and wind gusts up to 50 mph will be possible with this
storm.

Locations impacted include...
Havana, Bath, Easton, Kilbourne, Topeka, Bluff City, Chatauqua Park,
Marbletown and Poplar City.

1 hour ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

06Z NAM goes all out for tomorrow night near Detroit

2017071906_NAM_033_42.66,-83.6_severe_ml

Problem is that storms won't likely fire until they're in northern Indiana and Ohio due to a worked over atmosphere and better dynamics (instability) south of the state. 

I think its it's safe to say there's a trend here lol

6 hours ago, Harry Perry said:

Problem is that storms won't likely fire until they're in northern Indiana and Ohio due to a worked over atmosphere and better dynamics (instability) south of the state. 

I think its it's safe to say there's a trend here lol

0-6 km shear should be reasonably impressive for July. If storms form in Ohio or Indiana, they could get severe quickly. the 12z NAM has 41 kt of shear at Cleveland, 35 kt in northern Indiana tomorrow. For 0-3km SRH, there are some big differences between the 12z NAM and 18z NAM for Ohio. So maybe worth watching.

Gonna be a close call here.  After looking at it more closely you can see some strong meso-voritices mixed in that line.  They have a tendency to pull more to the left, which may keep the band of storms from diving as much southeast as you might expect.  Unless there's further development along the southern end of the line I think it may miss us to the north.  Rockford looks to get smoked as per usual.

9 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Gonna be a close call here.  After looking at it more closely you can see some strong meso-voritices mixed in that line.  They have a tendency to pull more to the left, which may keep the band of storms from diving as much southeast as you might expect.  Unless there's further development along the southern end of the line I think it may miss us to the north.  Rockford looks to get smoked as per usual.

I understand your thoughts with storm motion. Still think the southern part will right turn enough so that you can at least wave at it as it passes, or just drive a few miles north.

7 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I understand your thoughts with storm motion. Still think the southern part will right turn enough so that you can at least wave at it as it passes, or just drive a few miles north.

Just in the last 10 mins or so some new storms have popped further south near Iowa Falls.  So there's still hope lol.

Archived