Newest Member
    Dano62
Winter 17-18 Speculation

griteater

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

Getting a feeling that the easterly QBO is going to play more of a part in our winter than previously thought. This coupled with La-Nina could spell a good winter for the east. Just have to see how strong the Nina gets.

I agree on the QBO, but it's the -QBO's effect on the AO/NAO that ultimately could be the deciding factor IMO.  Just like the -EPO saved us the last few years, I think the -QBO's effect on getting us blocking could help us this year.  Signs are starting to show up.  

But the blocking showing up could just be a passing blip and by the time late December rolls around (my true expectation of when winter weather starts in CLT), we could have a massive blue vortex of doom at the north pole.  I have no idea at this point.  It's just nice to have a hope of blocking up north when the kids are actually in school.  

EEP levels dropping with the solar wind now,for only the 2nd time this year and the first since July it has dipped below 6 on the  Mev Electron fluence table to about 5.5.Another strong signal if you believe science and research concerning NAO.Have to see if it stays persistant though.

7 straight spotless days now,solar wind running low at 380 km/s for the month and around 430 km/s over 40 days.

Carry on.

1 hour ago, packbacker said:

Upcoming pattern does look like Nov 62...good omen?

A big ice storm in Charlotte on Christmas Day 1962.  It started as snow and sleet before transitioning to freezing rain across the Northern Piedmont of North Carolina.

9 hours ago, SnowNiner said:

I agree on the QBO, but it's the -QBO's effect on the AO/NAO that ultimately could be the deciding factor IMO.  Just like the -EPO saved us the last few years, I think the -QBO's effect on getting us blocking could help us this year.  Signs are starting to show up.  

But the blocking showing up could just be a passing blip and by the time late December rolls around (my true expectation of when winter weather starts in CLT), we could have a massive blue vortex of doom at the north pole.  I have no idea at this point.  It's just nice to have a hope of blocking up north when the kids are actually in school.  

That might be good for the sea ice. Honestly, getting that to recover, and a decrease in the incredibly warm SSTs, could lead to better winters down the road. We dodged a bullet this summer, and I hope we can capitalize on that with a solid recovery.

1 hour ago, HKY1894 said:

QBO is a big plus for this winter, disregarding enso type the QBO analogs look good on 500mb anomaly maps. Feel like were gonna have a shot at a couple storms this winter.

If ENSO stays weak/neutral, the QBO can shine.  Again, I'm encouraged.

5 minutes ago, WidreMann said:

12z Euro? Wouldn't get too excited about that because it's an outlier.

Nope, 18z GFS (and pretty much every other GFS run today)... The strong blocking signal over Greenland has been pretty consistent the past couple of days.  Still a ways out but given the pattern so far this month, I think it's looking better.

BTW, greatly enjoyed my high of 45 with rain today.

45 minutes ago, Wow said:

Gotta say, seeing this consistently in the long range is encourging (i.e. actual, real, true blocking signals).  The past 3 years have been otherwise.

joXfXB8.png

Sucks how we never get coldest air on earth on our side of the world! :(

This map is perfect example of how it will look all winter!

21 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Just focus on the blocking.. It's November dude.

But to satisfy you eye candy for the day, look at the CFS for January!

cUGABSi.png

50 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Yeah but Siberia already has snowpack, and is typically colder anyway. I do notice the cold Alaska though, which often results in torching here but the Greenland block really pushes that colder dome SE. Now if we can get this look late Dec thru Mid March with a string of Miller A's...

10 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

-8 Celsius, wow. Wonder how long it's been since we had a month like that. Too bad that will never verify, you sure that wasn't put out by the DGEX? :)

-8C would break the all time coldest January of 1977 in ATL, CLT and RDU.  Records are made to be broken right?

Here is an interesting read while we wait for winter.

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/great-appalachian-snowstorm-november-1950

From November 22 to 30, 1950, a slow-moving, powerful storm system dumped heavy snow across much of the central Appalachians. Known as “The Great Appalachian Storm of 1950,” the storm blanketed areas from western Pennsylvania southward deep into West Virginia with over 30 inches of snow. Several locations even received more than 50 inches of snow. Coburn Creek, West Virginia, reported the greatest snowfall total—a staggering 62 inches.

12 minutes ago, jburns said:

Here is an interesting read while we wait for winter.

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/great-appalachian-snowstorm-november-1950

From November 22 to 30, 1950, a slow-moving, powerful storm system dumped heavy snow across much of the central Appalachians. Known as “The Great Appalachian Storm of 1950,” the storm blanketed areas from western Pennsylvania southward deep into West Virginia with over 30 inches of snow. Several locations even received more than 50 inches of snow. Coburn Creek, West Virginia, reported the greatest snowfall total—a staggering 62 inches.

That was a crazy storm.  Surface low retrograded from the east coast toward Ohio/Michigan.  I put together this 500 mb loop a few years ago for a thread in my subforum.

post-14-0-62223600-1415301520.gif.22a099d91042ccd1a44f50fd0f64d627.gif

Question (and this is not to get the "Global Warming War" started):  What are the chances of these storms from the 40s, 50s, 60s, (even the 90s) repeating with the increase in temps?  I love reading about them, and I love learning, and I sometimes wonder if they are even a possibility any more.  

Thoughts?

Archived