SnowHabit
Winter 17-18 Speculation

griteater

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Looks typical Nina.

My first thought as well. Did anyone expect anything different? NWS sticks to enso climo exclusively so no surprise. Over time it's the most accurate though so you can't really fault them. I also don't disagree with their outlook. But as history has shown, AN mean temps for DJF /= no cold and snow. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

My first thought as well. Did anyone expect anything different? NWS sticks to enso climo exclusively so no surprise. Over time it's the most accurate though so you can't really fault them. I also don't disagree with their outlook. But as history has shown, AN mean temps for DJF /= no cold and snow. 

No surprise from me either. I mean should we expect anything differently after the last several above normal winters? obviously we can get small windows for cold and storms but again I do not like this upcoming winter as a whole.

28 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Can confirm, saw a double digit total here last season. 

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

True. But it seems winters here are becoming more and more of either one big winter storm or nothing at all. 

1 hour ago, Brick Tamland said:

True. But it seems winters here are becoming more and more of either one big winter storm or nothing at all. 

Brick I was around in the 70s and 80s. I hear alot of younger guys on here talk about the 80's decade winters being the good ole days etc. The winter seasons back in the 70's and 80's are no different from the ones weve expierenced over the past 17 years. You get great wall to wall ones occasionally and you get alot of big memorable events once per season and unfortunately you get alot of long stretches of crap like weve had the past 2 seasons. Usually its for 1/2 the winter seaon D,J,F and not all 3 months like the last 2 seasons. I can remeber the mid to  late 80's expierencing long stretches of warmth as well as long stretches between big ticket events. It goes back and forth.

On a side note Im very skeptical of the methods we use to collect temp data or index it for refernce points/baselines. Most of its done at airports surounded by asphalt/urbanization etc. v/s the rural suroundings pre-60's/70's. So it pollutes the results when trying to compare todays weather v/s historical perspectives/ seasonal averages etc.

4 hours ago, NCSNOW said:

Brick I was around in the 70s and 80s. I hear alot of younger guys on here talk about the 80's decade winters being the good ole days etc. The winter seasons back in the 70's and 80's are no different from the ones weve expierenced over the past 17 years. You get great wall to wall ones occasionally and you get alot of big memorable events once per season and unfortunately you get alot of long stretches of crap like weve had the past 2 seasons. Usually its for 1/2 the winter seaon D,J,F and not all 3 months like the last 2 seasons. I can remeber the mid to  late 80's expierencing long stretches of warmth as well as long stretches between big ticket events. It goes back and forth.

On a side note Im very skeptical of the methods we use to collect temp data or index it for refernce points/baselines. Most of its done at airports surounded by asphalt/urbanization etc. v/s the rural suroundings pre-60's/70's. So it pollutes the results when trying to compare todays weather v/s historical perspectives/ seasonal averages etc.

I agree with you 100%.  One thing I notice different is snows now seem to produce bigger storms.

4 minutes ago, Northern Foothills Snowman said:

I agree with you 100%.  One thing I notice different is snows now seem to produce bigger storms.

Yea, it's either total chaos making things seem different or a warmer ocean/land background causing bigger storms. I think the entire east coast would agree that bigger storms are more frequent. 

I looked through a lot of historical records and don't see much difference in general with winters now compared to previous decades. Maybe we're losing on the margins. Early and late storms seem less frequent. Although my area had a couple really big marches. Not sure about you folks.  December's have been pretty sucky quite often though. 

43 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, it's either total chaos making things seem different or a warmer ocean/land background causing bigger storms. I think the entire east coast would agree that bigger storms are more frequent. 

I looked through a lot of historical records and don't see much difference in general with winters now compared to previous decades. Maybe we're losing on the margins. Early and late storms seem less frequent. Although my area had a couple really big marches. Not sure about you folks.  December's have been pretty sucky quite often though. 

March is our snowiest months, is a quote we throw around when March 1 rolls around and we have a sucky winter. Don't think it's necessarily true, it's a last ditch effort to make us feel better and keeps hope alive! It's our mantra, the last few winters!

Well, WxSouth does seem bullish on Facebook. 

For the record, I'd lean cooler than average Southeast to Midwest. And very active precip wise in a good chunk of the Southeast and MidAtlantic for the 3 month period December through February, with snow and ice paying a visit much more often, and to many more areas of the Southeast, than it did either of the last 2 Winters.

4 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

For the record, I'd lean cooler than average Southeast to Midwest. And very active precip wise in a good chunk of the Southeast and MidAtlantic for the 3 month period December through February, with snow and ice paying a visit much more often, and to many more areas of the Southeast, than it did either of the last 2 Winters.

As Grit showed above, Robert thinks we'll get more blocking this year. 

27 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

I've been following his page for a few years now. He is a fantastic met but he always seems to think cold and snow. I hope he's right but he seems to base this off of indices that can't be known more than two weeks out. 

The Nina maps posted above show something we should all know. The -AO/NAO will trump ENSO every time out.  You could probably apply that map regardless of ENSO state and get the same above/below normal results based on the NAO/AO. The +PNA is a big factor too, the Pacific can run the show for good or ill for the East.

The -NAO is virtually a winter unicorn lately but maybe with -qbo will help some with that. 

4 hours ago, fritschy said:

What happened to the day of the Gulf Lows, when I grew up in the 50's and 60's and even the 70's there were Gulf Lows very frequently of which we're lucky now if we get one storm out of the Gulf in the winter.

We still get the gulf lows. Only now days they run up the spine of the apps instead of the SE coastline.

51 minutes ago, fritschy said:

So the blocking hasn't been there to send the storms up the SE Coast.  Has the blocking been that far off to where we don't even have it anymore?  You would think we would get the blocking once in a while.

The NAO has been primarily positive the last few years. We've had winter storms the last few years but the storms were timed just right with the highs to the north. NAO helps buckle the pattern towards the east allowing storms to be pushed southward and highs to get "anchored" more to the NE; and not be so progressive (move out quickly). So basically, the NAO helps up our odds of getting a winter storm.

(but)I've always considered the PNA to be more important for our chances; whereas if it's negative we really have no chance.  

Archived