Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 17-18 Speculation

griteater

8 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Don't have high hopes for this winter, especially if we're looking at a healthy La Niña or Nina-looking atmosphere.

We've had some good winter storms during la nina years. One of my favorites occurred in January 1996. 5-6 inches of sleet and a couple of inches on top. It really comes down to getting some of that luck the SE always needs for a storm.  

http://ggweather.com/enso/oni.htm

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, FallsLake said:

We've had some good winter storms during la nina years. One of my favorites occurred in January 1996. 5-6 inches of sleet and a couple of inches on top. It really comes down to getting some of that luck the SE always needs for a storm.  

http://ggweather.com/enso/oni.htm

Yep, agree.  Also, wasn't the Jan 2000 storm in a La Niña year?

I wish I could find some weather video coverage of that storm, either old local or TWC footage.

25 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Yep, agreed.  And it seems we're always waiting on the infamous back-loaded winter, these days.  I hate that.

You won't be worried about winter, when it takes till January to get your power back! I don't know why you want winter storms any way, all you get is sleet! :(

My mean high anomalies, against long term 1931-2016 "normals" declined from June to July to August. My temperature transitions are usually an indicator for SE high strength, because of how the Monsoon works out here. I went from +3F, to +0F, to -1F for June to July to August. If you blend all the years with cooling anomalies from June to August in ABQ you get the correct spatial match to this Summer for the US.

Summer was very different from last year really on a national level, when the heat in the West was insane in NM in July (basically greatest heat anomalies on Earth last July), as opposed to being insane in NV / CA / the NW this year.

The Summer years don't really have a strong temperature signal for winter nationally, but they do have the SE pretty wet in winter. The other things I like to blend together for winter outlooks kind of imply a slightly warm (+0 to +2F) winter in the SE for highs w/ above normal precip most areas. Part of this is just that the AMO has been trending cooler than last year, and the hurricanes should cool it more? Nov-Apr 2016-17 AMO value was +0.279 - third highest value for that period since 1931. It's a super cold Neutral or a super weak La Nina with a cooler Atlantic, those things, with the coolness in the south all imply a weaker heat dome in your area for the winter to me. None of this +6F nonsense.

Summer 2017 v Summer 2016.png

Pattern 1 Summers Albuquerque.png

32 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

But...but... we read on this board "JB forecasts cold and snow every year" this can't be correct. 

You didn't hear that from me.  I have always enjoyed JB.  He's a weather geek like the rest of us.  He doesn't always get things right, but he always has scientific reasons for his beliefs. People bash him too much and definitely stereotype his forecasts.  He calls for warm and cold.  He's not afraid to talk about extremes of what is possible.  He's kind of like the NAM of weather forecasters.

44 minutes ago, packfan98 said:

You didn't hear that from me.  I have always enjoyed JB.  He's a weather geek like the rest of us.  He doesn't always get things right, but he always has scientific reasons for his beliefs. People bash him too much and definitely stereotype his forecasts.  He calls for warm and cold.  He's not afraid to talk about extremes of what is possible.  He's kind of like the NAM of weather forecasters.

Im with ya on JB. This Hurricane season sure fits the La Nina evoloution standard.

I think we will have a rather boring winter, not really cold and not real warm, probably slightly above normal. We VERY seldom have cold winters with a La Nina in this part of the country and I don't see that changing. If anything, I think it will be slightly above normal for a La Nina based on the -QBO and the persistence of the high pressures ridges that have been forming in the western Atlantic. Doesn't mean we can't have wintry precipitation a couple of times if the timing is right but I don't think we will have a lot to track this season

Archived