Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 9-16 Severe Weather/Heavy Rain Potential

Hoosier

2 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I still like my chances, but models continue to put Cedar Rapids right on the edge tonight.  Between CR and Dubuque looks to be a hot spot, while heading sw from CR the action may drop off quickly.  The HRRR drops the rainfall off to nothing just one county sw of CR.

It does appear tonight may be the main show of the entire week for eastern Iowa.  The next couple days' action may be well southeast or northeast of my area.  

I do think you will be under the heat dome as the week progresses with storms rounding the ring of fire eastward like you said.  Good luck tonight.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The National Weather Service in The Twin Cities has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
  Southwestern Stevens County in west central Minnesota...
  Western Swift County in west central Minnesota...

* Until 845 PM CDT

* At 756 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
  was located over Artichoke, or 15 miles northeast of Ortonville,
  moving east at 30 mph.

3 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Concern that the leading edge of the complex south of the twin cities near Fairibault will form a powerful line of storms heading into IA.  Already being warned for 70 mph winds.

Pretty strong signal for it to continue down into NE IA, somewhere between CCY and DEH, as a robust MCS before starting to weaken.

Not 100% sure what the HRRR is doing with the MCS, Mesoanalysis has the instability gradient oriented in a manner that would favor a SSE movement opposed to the ESE movement that the HRRR has been fairly consistent with over the last several runs. I would think the MCS would favor that instability gradient and ride it, which is supported by the current movement should the MCS keep the SMV as upscale growth occurs(which it should). I believe I have seen a bias in the HRRR in the past for it to be too easterly with MCS movement, but am not sure.

sbcp.gif?1499654399012

18 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Not 100% sure what the HRRR is doing with the MCS, Mesoanalysis has the instability gradient oriented in a manner that would favor a SSE movement opposed to the ESE movement that the HRRR has been fairly consistent with over the last several runs. I would think the MCS would favor that instability gradient and ride it, which is supported by the current movement should the MCS keep the SMV as upscale growth occurs(which it should). I believe I have seen a bias in the HRRR in the past for it to be too easterly with MCS movement, but am not sure.

sbcp.gif?1499654399012

One thing to keep in mind is that significant destabilization is progged to occur overnight with eastward extent into northern IL/southern WI.  

7 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

That's not great, but not too terrible. I'm not sure who is and isn't certified there anymore, but you could hold the evening balloon shift over an extra couple of hours to launch (430z release time). Even staying to the end of the flight would probably get them in bed by 2 AM (unless a severe MCS is headed their way :lightning:) not having to be in until 2 PM that afternoon. 

Those near 06z launches get easier and easier the farther west you are.

Any results from that sounding?

Minnesota got some nasty cells early on, but the severe wind event downstream did not pan out at all.  Once the storms moved into Iowa and sw Wisconsin, it mostly just congealed into a blob of heavy rain.  Parts of Madison have received 3-5+ inches..  So far I'm just receiving some solid lightning and rain.

Archived