Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Summer Thread

mreaves

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I upgraded to the Mavic Pro drone and took a maiden flight and I definitely love it. It is much easier to fly and much quieter than the old P3 workhorse. Obviously there are many other nice features to be explored. I look forward to foliage flights with it.

31 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Rained hard with a good pulse of wind with the leading edge here on Mansfield's east slope.  No hail though.

Yeah there was a solid pulse of wind here too (35 mph or so). Not sure how much rain we got but it could have been a quick .5 or so.

September is moving right along, so I figured I should get out the August and year-to-date numbers for liquid before it gets too late:

August liquid:  3.06”

2017 liquid:  40.75”

Rainfall has continued to slow down relative to the beginning of the summer, and combined with the generally comfortable temperatures, that made for quite a number of great August days.  August liquid was actually more than an inch below average for our location, but the current pace still has the calendar year ending with a bit over 60 inches of total liquid.

15 hours ago, J.Spin said:

September is moving right along, so I figured I should get out the August and year-to-date numbers for liquid before it gets too late:

August liquid:  3.06”

2017 liquid:  40.75”

Rainfall has continued to slow down relative to the beginning of the summer, and combined with the generally comfortable temperatures, that made for quite a number of great August days.  August liquid was actually more than an inch below average for our location, but the current pace still has the calendar year ending with a bit over 60 inches of total liquid.

Had 2.68" for August, all but 0.17" coming while we were away on vacation.   YTD is 29.22", exactly 2.00" below my Jan-Aug average.  Your 2017 to date is about 40% higher than mine, though I'm guessing your full-year average is not that far above mine. (49.31")  You would need almost 69" by 12/31 to be as far ahead of my average, proportionally, as you are during the 1st 8 months.

16 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Had 2.68" for August, all but 0.17" coming while we were away on vacation.   YTD is 29.22", exactly 2.00" below my Jan-Aug average.  Your 2017 to date is about 40% higher than mine, though I'm guessing your full-year average is not that far above mine. (49.31")  You would need almost 69" by 12/31 to be as far ahead of my average, proportionally, as you are during the 1st 8 months.

Isn't he only like 27% higher than your YTD or am I doing that wrong?  He's got about 10" on ya.  

If I remember correctly, JSpin is usually around 55-60" annually for precip?

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Isn't he only like 27% higher than your YTD or am I doing that wrong?  He's got about 10" on ya.  

I used my total as denominator.  His recording 40% more is the same as my recording 27% less.  (2 is 100% more than 1, but 1 is 50% less than 2 - arithmetic Nazi apologizes.)

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:43 PM, tamarack said:

Your 2017 to date is about 40% higher than mine, though I'm guessing your full-year average is not that far above mine. (49.31") 

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:02 PM, powderfreak said:

We’ve had some drier years prior to the current one, and it looks like the average annual liquid is coming more into the 53”-54” range here, so indeed not too far above what tamarack has for his long-term number.  After my first few seasons of recording total liquid here I was indeed getting an average in the 55”-60” range as PF recalled, but perhaps that was a wet stretch and these past few seasons have refined it appropriately.  Being on track for 60”+ at this point in the season though is probably notable because it’s likely more than 10% above average.  We’ll see how long that pace continues, but this last stretch of September has been reasonably wet, with 2.62” in just the first 10 days of the month.  That’s pretty notable in a month where the average rainfall I’ve got in my records is only 3.87”.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Another rough torch day with partial sunshine and a max of only 71.7F. I'm struggling to cope with this.

Ha, got up to 75F here but man what a stunning day.  Could see more stratus coverage down your way from the Picnic Tables. Nice thin layer of moisture it seemed right near summit level.

Archived