• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
mreaves

NNE Summer Thread

34 again this morning. Doing better than last year when my tomatoes had all been killed by frost already at this point!

Edit: I should note that I have yet to pick a single tomato. Last time I try, it just doesn't seem possible up here even if I got an early start. 

• Like 1

After my hike this weekend I have realized I want a hand held anemometer/thermometer. I'm tired of guesstimating. I am pretty sure we tickled the upper 30s at Roaring Brook Saturday night, given MLT area was down around 40.

15 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

After my hike this weekend I have realized I want a hand held anemometer/thermometer. I'm tired of guesstimating. I am pretty sure we tickled the upper 30s at Roaring Brook Saturday night, given MLT area was down around 40.

Go with a Kestrel, I keep one in my backpack.

48 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Time to break out the hat and gloves for the Zipline and lift staff.

31/23 for MWN. Wish that was the last day of Aug. I need to look up their record low max for the month.

40 minutes ago, dendrite said:

31/23 for MWN. Wish that was the last day of Aug. I need to look up their record low max for the month.

BTW, where do you get MOS for COOP stations?  I can only find it for first order and ASOS stations.

15 hours ago, dendrite said:

Here's my guess:

8/30/1965    26  20   0.20"   0.9"   1

The 29th max was 30, with 1.6" from 0.23" LE.   #2 low max might be the 29 on 8/29/1982, with 0.2" snow.  We had flakes that day in the back settlement of Ft. Kent.  Also noteworthy for MWN was highs of 33 on 8/14-15/1964, with 0.6" snow each day.

On 8/30/2017 at 8:48 AM, tamarack said:

Here's my guess:

8/30/1965    26  20   0.20"   0.9"   1

The 29th max was 30, with 1.6" from 0.23" LE.   #2 low max might be the 29 on 8/29/1982, with 0.2" snow.  We had flakes that day in the back settlement of Ft. Kent.  Also noteworthy for MWN was highs of 33 on 8/14-15/1964, with 0.6" snow each day.

Looks good to me. I can't find MWN data in the NWS nowdata tab, but their all-time Aug record low is listed as 21F on their site (you have a 20F there so who knows) so a high of 26F would yield a pretty small range that would be tough to beat.

On 8/29/2017 at 3:29 PM, dendrite said:

MOS has 45F/31F for Mansfield on Friday. Congrats PF.

45/30 now. Hopefully the COOP pulls off their first freezing of the year.

46 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It's going to be close... if I see -1 to -2 at 850, that's usually good for 31-32F there.  It's more like 875mb so I usually take 0.5 to maybe 1 degree C warmer for actual ridge temps.

41F now at 3,600ft top of the Gondola.

1 hour ago, alex said:

The Presidentials are nice and white (I assume rhyme?). Line seems to be around 5,000 ft

That would make sense.  It was 33F at the 4,000ft elevation for the min.  Probably 30F up at 5,000ft.

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Ouch,  frost advisory all the way down to me...   No problem up on my hill.  I've got a month to go but good luck to your plants, Alex.  I think their toast...

The kale, broccoli etc will be fine. Everything else (eg, tomatoes) never grew to begin with... so not much of a loss there lol!

6 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Lol, looks like your 3 week growing season has come to an end.

I noticed a few elevated hollows around here in the 1400-1600ft range here were also right around your temp with 29-30F

Haha, yes. It's been a rough summer for veggies... even beets didn't grow nearly as much as last year. 

On that note, got myself a greenhouse on Amazon yesterday. 

On 8/31/2017 at 6:18 PM, dendrite said:

Ended up doing 43/33 at our 3,600ft station and the Coop at 4,000ft was 44/32.

Barely made it to freezing but not quite as cold as I was hoping.