Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Summer Thread

mreaves

On 8/1/2017 at 3:42 PM, OceanStWx said:

Here are my lamer attemps sans drone.

I hiked Tumbledown last Friday (prepping for Katahdin later this month) and it was a picture perfect day. Winds 20-30 mph at the summit level, temps upper 50s.

20369588_10104193868066575_6845686055469947208_o.thumb.jpg.905a26178054c6456eb7f38b84f6c73c.jpg

Also what a winter weenie spot Tumbledown Pond must be. 

20369482_10104193868301105_5665221518058722097_o.thumb.jpg.ddd31e78142b5f834312a45e25157bdb.jpg

Sits at around 2,700 feet elevation. If it had a little more terrain on the south side it would probably support some extreme radational cooling.

My friends and I are hiking Katahdin on the 19th.  This is the second year for us.  Last year we hiked up from Katahdin stream/Hunt trail, this year it's the knifes edge(hopefully).  It's such an awesome mountain .  

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, JJBASHB said:

My friends and I are hiking Katahdin on the 19th.  This is the second year for us.  Last year we hiked up Katahdin stream, this year it's the knifes edge(hopefully).  It's such an awesome mountain .  

I'm pretty excited. I'm nearly positive I've convinced at least part of the group to hike across the Tablelands to hit Hamlin Peak before descending. That way I'll have my first two 4,000 footers in the bag. 

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

Well, along with these gorgeous days of comfortable temperatures and low humidity that we’ve had as of late, I’ve seen a couple of early signs marking the approach of fall.  Right on track last week as August hit, we had the usual first yellow leaves start falling from one of our old butternut trees.  And yesterday was the first day that I suddenly noticed the sun angle had a bit of a lower, early-autumn look when I was in my office around midday.  That, and the fact that dusk and the first hints of dew were on me much more quickly than I would have liked when mowing the lawn yesterday evening had me curious about the changes in our length of day and sun angle, so I headed to the navy data site:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/index.php

I found that since midsummer, we’ve lost about an hour and quarter of daylight and 8 degrees off the midday sun angle up here in NVT.  Apparently that sun angle change had finally been enough to catch my attention.

Coincidentally, tomorrow (August 10th) is the traditional cutoff day where pool use really dropped off around here as noted by the owner of the club where my wife used to lifeguard.  We’re well away from the start of school, so I’m sure there’s something about this part of August with respect to a combination of day length, sun angle, temperatures, humidity, or whatever, that hits a threshold up at this latitude.  I didn’t really pay too much attention to dates as a kid during the summer, but we spent a lot of our days at the neighborhood pool, and there was definitely that point when you knew prime pool time was done.  You sort of had to force it a bit after that, and you quickly realized that there were better things to do.  I’m sure sometimes it was as quick as a day that a front came through and the air dried out, but I also distinctly remember hitting that point where you would try to lie out in the sun after swimming, and at its angle it just couldn’t warm you enough for the combination of humidity and air/water temperatures that were available.  Thinking back, it was very likely right around this time of year when that change happened, because there was always that period between when you stopped wanting to hit the pool every day and school began.

In any event, even if swimming is winding down around here, we’re into one of the best three-month periods of the year for potential “Chamber of Commerce weather”, as PF would say.

The graphic below is for The Greater Springfield (IL) Chamber of Commerce, but personally I think it’s got cool potential as a generic icon to use for the concept:

Thechamber.jpg

Been no shortage of Chamber days this summer--I know a few select individuals only want high heat/dews, but this is the type of summer weather I envisioned when moving to NE. Not the best summer for the 7 people that have pools in NNE, but very comfortable for day to day living.  My AC units have collected a good amount of dust this summer.

I've spent a good amount of time in FL the past 3 months for work, and the dews are just suffocating. Always appreciate flying back to ALB and coming out of the airport to a nice low/moderate dew air mass.

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Been no shortage of Chamber days this summer--I know a few select individuals only want high heat/dews, but this is the type of summer weather I envisioned when moving to NE. Not the best summer for the 7 people that have pools in NNE, but very comfortable for day to day living.  My AC units have collected a good amount of dust this summer.

I've spent a good amount of time in FL the past 3 months for work, and the dews are just suffocating. Always appreciate flying back to ALB and coming out of the airport to a nice low/moderate dew air mass.

My parents moved down to Florida a few years back, and at first they were there full time, but it wasn’t long before they started coming up here for part of the summer.  Now they’ve even bought a second home up here and the period they stay has grown to half the year (roughly May through October).  They found that it’s just so hot and humid during the warmer months down there that unless you’re in/at the water, it’s really unpleasant doing most outdoor activities.  They’re certainly loving the weather we’ve been having here in the Northeast this summer.

10 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

My parents moved down to Florida a few years back, and at first they were there full time, but it wasn’t long before they started coming up here for part of the summer.  Now they’ve even bought a second home up here and the period they stay has grown to half the year (roughly May through October).  They found that it’s just so hot and humid during the warmer months down there that unless you’re in/at the water, it’s really unpleasant doing most outdoor activities.  They’re certainly loving the weather we’ve been having here in the Northeast this summer.

When I was living in eastern North Carolina last eight years, I hated our summers. Unless you go to beach or sit on porch watching our storms, it was too hot and humid to do anything else. I had to time my runs for 9 am or 7 pm so my body wouldn't be too hot. Most young people here had no idea how easy they have it with their summers being comfortable from May to October. They could make an argument their winters are miserable and brutal, but I'd rather have lot of snow and truly cold nights than having days with pouring rain when it's 33 outside.

Since moving up here earlier this summer, I've been soaking in New England summer days and enjoying being outside in this weather. It's a huge relief comparing to the South. 

22 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm pretty excited. I'm nearly positive I've convinced at least part of the group to hike across the Tablelands to hit Hamlin Peak before descending. That way I'll have my first two 4,000 footers in the bag. 

That's going to be a grueling hike.  Katahdin is a great one to start with, I like it the best so far.  It's intimidating. The Franconia Ridge loop is a close second.  I haven't been hiking as much this summer so I'm looking forward to it, hopefully the weather cooperates.  A decent severe outbreak would be nice before the end of summer too, but not that weekend please...

A while back, wxeyeNH let me know that my text here in the forum was coming out very small and hard to read on his end – I’m sure it’s a function of the fact that I never type in the forum text editor itself, my material is always written in Microsoft Word files and pasted in.  I tried increasing the font in my Word files (from the 10.5 point Arial that seems to suffice on my end in this version of the forum software), but that just made my text large and awkward in the forum (at least when viewed on my devices).  I eventually went back to the smaller font, hoping everything had sorted itself out with forum upgrades etc.  It still comes out slightly larger than what I assume is the standard forum editor-derived text (see sample in the image below) but it seems at least reasonable.  Anyway, wxeyeNH just informed me that it’s still an issue on his end, so I figured we could look into it here in the NNE thread.  Are other folks seeing what wxeyeNH is seeing and just dealing with the tiny text, or is it similar to what I see?  I’ve added a copy of what my forum text looks like on my end (this is from my Dell PC at 100% scale, but it looks the same on mobile on my iPhone) in the image below so that we can see if we can figure out the issue.

texttest.jpg

Just now, powderfreak said:

Earlier today we had a brief downpour and the only thing interesting to me was the due north movement.  Rarely see them walk up the Spine like that.

IMG_6495.GIF.48675b3859c09e8c9eeccd8803ad676f.GIF

Had one like that last weekend I believe. The gust front came through with strong southerly winds and soaked the inside of the coop...wasn't expecting that.

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Had one like that last weekend I believe. The gust front came through with strong southerly winds and soaked the inside of the coop...wasn't expecting that.

Ha yeah it's odd to see cellular action moving due north in our part of the world.  The core of that one today was almost NNW if you loop like 90 minutes.  

Synoptic events you see it quite a bit with a rain shield advancing north, but not at the meso-scale level.

On 8/9/2017 at 0:26 PM, JJBASHB said:

My friends and I are hiking Katahdin on the 19th.  This is the second year for us.  Last year we hiked up from Katahdin stream/Hunt trail, this year it's the knifes edge(hopefully).  It's such an awesome mountain .  

My girl and I will be hiking Knife Edge next Saturday too.  Let's get some nice weather up at Baxter

Never get tired of where I live.   A photographer friend of mine took this picture this morning.  It's on a 15 acre parcel we own which is 1/2 mile up the road from our house and about 250 feet higher.  I constantly run up there when we have T storms approaching from the NW.   The higher peak to the west of Newfound is Mt Cardigan 3120'.

I

Brian Land Redman.jpg

As I usually do on my day offs, I took the quick 40-45 minute hike (one way) up to the top of Spruce Peak from the Mt Mansfield Ski Club parking lot...the Spruce overlook at 3,600ft is one of the better views in the Notch.

8gHYE7h.jpg

Fair weather cumulous over the higher terrain of the Green Mtn Spine (looking north).  As usual, the best lift is right over the axis of highest terrain.

OdIZEfa.jpg

Never get tired of where I live.   A photographer friend of mine took this picture this morning.  It's on a 15 acre parcel we own which is 1/2 mile up the road from our house and about 250 feet higher.  I constantly run up there when we have T storms approaching from the NW.   The higher peak to the west of Newfound is Mt Cardigan 3120'.

I

5991c8ad30734_BrianLandRedman.thumb.jpg.a0014c2d4aebaf493c7f535e9743e396.jpg

Wicked nice

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, ApacheTrout said:

Things are going to turn upside the next few days in the Rutland area. :P

sharp cold front.JPG

Forecast verification: first day of cold snap seems delayed.  That GFS, always too fast with the progression of air masses out of Canada this time of year.

15 hours ago, dendrite said:

Nobody is saying leaves are off the trees and it's dark at 4:30. Most of us are cheering on a warm Sep.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nobody is saying we can't have an above average autumn though. I'll be cheering for 68F and sunny in mid-October when Kevin is hoping for 47F and drizzle.

I was noting some comments from the banter conversation and thinking what a great month September is around here (and SNE as well as Ginx clearly points out).  If it’s a bit on the warm side… great! – you get a bit of an extension of comfortable late-summer temperatures.  If it’s on the cool side… great! – you get an early taste of October.  I think one thing that helps is that it’s also one of the drier months around here according to my records.  Having some decent sunny or partly cloudy conditions can give you a lot of pleasant days whether it’s on the warm side or cool side, especially since any major humidity has typically disappeared.  I think it’s just hard to screw up September in general because its normal temperatures, precipitation, and humidity are so prime.  There’s not a ton of incentive to root for a cold, rainy September anyway because even mountain snow is pretty infrequent and very ephemeral (when I looked up the numbers a few years back they suggested that Mansfield gets September snow roughly twice a decade. 

October is a little tougher, since skiable snow, or at least some snow, is more often than not a strong possibility at elevation.  When I looked up the numbers a few years back for that same post, they suggested that Mansfield typically misses out on October snow only once a decade.  I love those warm, sunny October days like Will mentions above, and if that’s what we had all month it would be quite nice.  But it’s hard to root 100% for that when the chance is there to get out for turns or even just get the foliage scenery enhanced by topping the mountains with white.

22OCT16D.jpg

Look at that upcoming forecast though – it’s really nice when August gets in on the act as well:

23AUG17A.jpg

This morning was one of those fairly infrequent days when I arrived in Burlington to find that it was actually cooler than at home in Waterbury.  Presumably Burlington was getting an earlier taste of whatever air is filtering in from our west.  I just headed outside though and it’s gorgeous, certainly one of those days that calls for…

Thechamber.jpg

I don't recall seeing this so early in the year and I wonder if frost is possible in NNE this weekend?

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Marquette MI
306 PM EDT Wed Aug 23 2017

...FROST EXPECTED OVER INLAND PORTIONS OF WESTERN UPPER
MICHIGAN TONIGHT...

MIZ004-005-010-011-084-240315-
/O.NEW.KMQT.FR.Y.0001.170824T0600Z-170824T1300Z/
Baraga-Marquette-Iron-Dickinson-Southern Houghton-
Including the cities of L`Anse, Gwinn, Marquette, Iron River,
Iron Mountain, Kenton, and Sidnaw
306 PM EDT Wed Aug 23 2017 /206 PM CDT Wed Aug 23 2017/

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM EDT /1 AM CDT/ TO 9 AM EDT
/8 AM CDT/ THURSDAY...

The National Weather Service in Marquette has issued a Frost
Advisory, which is in effect from 2 AM EDT /1 AM CDT/ to 9 AM EDT
/8 AM CDT/ Thursday.

Hazardous Weather:

* Frost will develop tonight as temperatures drop into the low to
   mid 30s over inland portions of western Upper Michigan.

Impacts:

* Sensitive vegetation will be susceptible to damage. Cover your
   plants or bring them indoors.

Precautionary/Preparedness Actions:

* A Frost Advisory means that widespread frost is expected.

Crisp morning.

Heres the list of temps in VT at 42F or lower for a minimum.  Includes MPV, MVL, and Lyndonville.

VERMONT 

PERU (1487FT)                          36
    GALLUP MILLS NERON                     37
    ISLAND POND AIRPORT                    37
    MOUNT HOLLY (1420FT)                   37
    NULHEGAN RAWS                          37
    WALDEN 4N COOP                         37
    WHEELOCK (1166FT)                      37
    AVERILL COOP                           39
    MORRISVILLE ASOS                       40
    SUNDERLAND COOP                        40
    CANAAN MESONET                         41
    LYNDON STATE COLLEGE                   41
    LYNDONVILLE AIRPORT ASOS               41
    NEWBURY AOT                            41
    NORTHFIELD COOP                        41
    RIPTON (1317FT)                        41
    CORINTH COOP                           42
    DANBY RAWS                             42
    MONTPELIER KNAPP AIRPORT ASOS          42
    NASHVILLE 1 E                          42

Back online after the craziness of getting ready to get married! Had a great day and weather cooperated; we got married at the top of Wildcat. # weenie. :) 

Been in the low 30s the last couple of nights (35 yesterday, 34 this morning) but no frost yet. Trees are quickly starting to change though! Feels like summer just started but heck... Bring on the snow! :)

Shot from tonight

IMG_6806.JPG

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 4:05 PM, powderfreak said:

Crisp morning.

Heres the list of temps in VT at 42F or lower for a minimum.  Includes MPV, MVL, and Lyndonville.

VERMONT 

PERU (1487FT)                          36
    GALLUP MILLS NERON                     37
    ISLAND POND AIRPORT                    37
    MOUNT HOLLY (1420FT)                   37
    NULHEGAN RAWS                          37
    WALDEN 4N COOP                         37
    WHEELOCK (1166FT)                      37
    AVERILL COOP                           39
    MORRISVILLE ASOS                       40
    SUNDERLAND COOP                        40
    CANAAN MESONET                         41
    LYNDON STATE COLLEGE                   41
    LYNDONVILLE AIRPORT ASOS               41
    NEWBURY AOT                            41
    NORTHFIELD COOP                        41
    RIPTON (1317FT)                        41
    CORINTH COOP                           42
    DANBY RAWS                             42
    MONTPELIER KNAPP AIRPORT ASOS          42
    NASHVILLE 1 E                          42

Had 38 at my place that morning, and this AM was close to the same.  Saw 36 for HUL/PQI.

Archived