Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Summer Thread

mreaves

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

MPV with 1.31" in an hour.

Thats a good drink.

Highest I've found is 2.10" so far between Warren and Montpelier in the hills there by Roxbury Gap.

Crap. Our golf course, or at least the Dog River that runs through it, didn't need that.  Haven't heard anything bad yet though. 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ApacheTrout said:

hell of a downpour this afternoon from the small warned thunderstorm.  1.14 inches in less than 30 minutes.

Wow.  I expected a nice cool, lower dewpoint evening.  Sure not happening yet.  Dew is 67F and its still and feels really muggy.  The dry air seems stuck just to the north and just is not making it southbound.   Perhaps the cells that are also just to my north is the boundary?  I guess your post shows some good rain going on within them.

2 hours ago, eyewall said:

Thank you and last evening I discovered Honey Hollow for a great west side view of Camel's Hump:
20247805_10104580327209469_6729138367598

20247905_10104579359403959_3646287332170

I like this picture.  The mountain has some symmetry.  To me Mansfield is just not pleasing to the eye.  This is my favorite mountain in the world as far as symmetry goes.  5 brownie points to anyone who knows what mountain this is.  I wish we had this in our local hood!

Meanwhile its 1230pm and 56.8F right now.  Impressive cold for climatologically the warmest week or so of the year!

Fav Mountain.jpg

The best view of Mansfield I think is in Pleasant Valley looking head on at the chin. It is quite a sight with a real sharp rise. It is hard to take pics there though with a lot of development.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, eyewall said:

The best view of Mansfield I think is in Pleasant Valley looking head on at the chin. It is quite a sight with a real sharp rise. It is hard to take pics there though with a lot of development.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I need to come over to Vermont.  I know the Whites pretty well but not the Green's.  Okay the Mt in the picture above is Ama Dablam.  It's a baby compared to Mt Everest just to its north.  Elevation is 22,349.  Mt Everest is close by, a bit further north at 29,032.  Now these are mountains!

19 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Never heard of it. Looks like it'd produce some nice banner clouds like the Matterhorn.

I forget what movie studio uses another view of it when its movies start.  Like the Matterhorn I just like the look of the mountain.   

More importantly,  down to 36F and moderate rain on Mt Washington.  Very impressive for mid day July 24. 

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

I like this picture.  The mountain has some symmetry.  To me Mansfield is just not pleasing to the eye.  This is my favorite mountain in the world as far as symmetry goes.  5 brownie points to anyone who knows what mountain this is.  I wish we had this in our local hood!

Meanwhile its 1230pm and 56.8F right now.  Impressive cold for climatologically the warmest week or so of the year!

Fav Mountain.jpg

I think we have opined about this in the past, but imagine the different microclimates we would have if the spine of the Greens was 10k-20kft and the Whites the same?  There would be a lot of noose tying /rejoicing depending on wind direction/moisture/etc.  lol.  

On a current weather note--spent the past 9 days at a lake house in the Daks--in a relatively cool/wet summer, couldn't have asked for much better weather over that time...temps in the 80s most days and water temp in the mid 70s--pretty much perfect.

39 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I forget what movie studio uses another view of it when its movies start.  Like the Matterhorn I just like the look of the mountain.   

More importantly,  down to 36F and moderate rain on Mt Washington.  Very impressive for mid day July 24. 

If it were another 1k higher there would be a nice snow storm ongoing. I know they have had snow during every month but today is just impressive all around for cool. Only 62 here on Long Island 

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Far less mountain, of course, but for symmetry in the Northeast, it's hard to beat Katahdin viewed from the south.  That view shows it with nothing in front much over 1,200', making it look bigger than some taller mountains in the Whites or central Apps. 

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Far less mountain, of course, but for symmetry in the Northeast, it's hard to beat Katahdin viewed from the south.  That view shows it with nothing in front much over 1,200', making it look bigger than some taller mountains in the Whites or central Apps. 

From certain angles, Katahdin reminds me of some of the cliffs on Kauai.  It's my favorite peak in the northeast and I've never even seen it in person.

6 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I like this picture.  The mountain has some symmetry.  To me Mansfield is just not pleasing to the eye.  

It's true, it doesn't have the peak look like Camels Hump.  Mansfield is more of a long ridge.  However, that's also what gives it so much precipitation as I think the "wall" type look certainly is more orographically efficient than the lone peak.  Air can move more freely around a lone peak instead of being forced up and over it....like in a river, put a rock that's wide and tall in it and the water backs up and then goes over it while a narrow but tall rock just sees the water go around it.  

I do agree it's not the most aesthetically pleasing mountain from a pure summit standpoint (Camels Hump is my favorite for that in VT), but the miles long ridge at 4000ft really does make a weather difference IMO.

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Really impressive temp.  Down to 53.9F at 430pm.  Temp has been 56ish or below most of the day at my house.  Shows about as low we can go for "low highs" at the climatological maxs  for the year.  

That's quite the day for July.  The temp here spent most of the day at 58F, and only briefly touched 60F when the clouds thinned for about 30 minutes late this afternoon.  Peachy.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

It's true, it doesn't have the peak look like Camels Hump.  Mansfield is more of a long ridge.  However, that's also what gives it so much precipitation as I think the "wall" type look certainly is more orographically efficient than the lone peak.  Air can move more freely around a lone peak instead of being forced up and over it....like in a river, put a rock that's wide and tall in it and the water backs up and then goes over it while a narrow but tall rock just sees the water go around it.  

I do agree it's not the most aesthetically pleasing mountain from a pure summit standpoint (Camels Hump is my favorite for that in VT), but the miles long ridge at 4000ft really does make a weather difference IMO.

Mansfield is impressive from the west. The view from BTV or even I89 of the entire ridge rising from what seems like the floor of the eastern CPV looks Denali like at times. 

9 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Paramount? According to a quick Google search, it isn't really known what mountain it is modeled after. But it did remind me immediately of their logo.

On 7/24/2017 at 7:09 PM, powderfreak said:

I went to school in western North Carolina so I can tell you that this applies to the difference between Mt. Washington (NH) and Mt. Mitchell (NC) as well. Mt. Mitchell is taller by almost 400 feet, but I told people when I was there that Mt. Washington is much more impressive visually. Why? Because Mt. Mitchell is like Mt. Mansfield, having the tallest peak in middle of a long ridge surrounded by more high-elevation ridges (especially to west). It's also fairly isolated from the base and hidden by 5,500-6,000 ft peaks so it's not towering over you. Views are still stunning from the peak of Mt. Mitchell, but you can see a lot more and feel like you're on the top of world at Mt. Washington since you can actually see the ocean from there on nice days. 

3 hours ago, WxBlue said:

I went to school in western North Carolina so I can tell you that this applies to to the difference between Mt. Washington (NH) and Mt. Mitchell (NC) as well. Mt. Mitchell is taller by almost 400 feet, but I told people when I was there that Mt. Washington is much more impressive visually. Why? Because Mt. Mitchell is like Mt. Mansfield, having the tallest peak in middle of a long ridge surrounded by more high-elevation ridges (especially to west). It's also fairly isolated from the base and hidden by 5,500-6,000 ft peaks so it's not towering over you. Views are still stunning from the peak of Mt. Mitchell, but you can see a lot more and feel like you're on the top of world at Mt. Washington since you can actually see the ocean from there on nice days. 

I'm sure one can see the ocean from Katahdin, as well, though the times I was on top, conditions made that impossible, once by undercast, once by haze.  Many years ago on a crystal-clear January morning, I clearly saw the mountain from Dixmont Hill, about 20 miles WSW from BGR.  Penobscot Bay is only about 20 miles farther from Baxter Peak.  From NE clockwise to SSW, there's nothing within 3,000' of Katahdin's elevation.

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

I'm sure one can see the ocean from Katahdin, as well, though the times I was on top, conditions made that impossible, once by undercast, once by haze.  Many years ago on a crystal-clear January morning, I clearly saw the mountain from Dixmont Hill, about 20 miles WSW from BGR.  Penobscot Bay is only about 20 miles farther from Baxter Peak.  From NE clockwise to SSW, there's nothing within 3,000' of Katahdin's elevation.

Katahdin is on my list of mountains I want to hike one day. Really looking forward to hiking this region's mountains once I'm all settled in my new place.

Archived