Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 21, 2017 Solar Eclipse

Hoosier

24 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Wow, that is amazing. I believe Indystorm took pictures (cave paintings) of that one. :scooter:

I haven't checked closely, but I believe we'll be on the northern edge up here for 2024.

Yeah, the northern line runs right through Huntington county.  Huntington itself is just north of it.

Hello, all.  Just got back this Monday Aug. 28 from a week's vacation in the Ohio River valley that started with a view of the total eclipse from Harrisburg Illinois that was beyond awesome.  Sorry for no pictures.   I had expected the moon to cover the sun and show the corona but what I didn't expect and fully amazed me was the wall of darkness that came in from the west at totality.  It was like an approaching t storm but in clear sky.  Got about as dark as a full moon night and street lights came on.  Lasted about two minutes.  By far the most amazing thing I have seen in an astronomical sense.    And no, IWX, I may be older but not THAT OLD!  Ha! Ha!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Hello, all.  Just got back this Monday Aug. 28 from a week's vacation in the Ohio River valley that started with a view of the total eclipse from Harrisburg Illinois that was beyond awesome.  Sorry for no pictures.   I had expected the moon to cover the sun and show the corona but what I didn't expect and fully amazed me was the wall of darkness that came in from the west at totality.  It was like an approaching t storm but in clear sky.  Got about as dark as a full moon night and street lights came on.  Lasted about two minutes.  By far the most amazing thing I have seen in an astronomical sense.    And no, IWX, I may be older but not THAT OLD!  Ha! Ha!

Hey! Good to hear from you! A few of us were worried about you since you haven't been on here for awhile. I'm glad that you had a good eclipse experience and vacation. Thanks for being able to take a little friendly ribbing about age. This coming from a guy who's no spring chicken compared to most of the posters here.

I'll be starting a thread about 2024 soon. lol

• 1 month later...

I'm glad I got to knock this off my bucket list. It was one of the most expensive vacations of my life but totally worth it. I'm already looking forward to 2024. I imagine Niagara Falls is going to be the big destination but I have another idea. I want to be on the Peace Bridge between Fort Erie ON and Buffalo NY. Standing on the border when it happens. I wonder if I can pull that off, or if too many other people will have the same idea?

20 minutes ago, Christina311 said:

I'm glad I got to knock this off my bucket list. It was one of the most expensive vacations of my life but totally worth it. I'm already looking forward to 2024. I imagine Niagara Falls is going to be the big destination but I have another idea. I want to be on the Peace Bridge between Fort Erie ON and Buffalo NY. Standing on the border when it happens. I wonder if I can pull that off, or if too many other people will have the same idea?

climo is way too cloudy for that area at that time of year. you could get lucky but statistically speaking the choice isn't optimal.

• 10 months later...

Bump for the upcoming anniversary.

A year later and I remember what it was like when I took off the glasses at the beginning of totality, as though it was last week.  

I had planned out in my head how I wanted to spend the 2 min 40 sec. Looking at the eclipsed sun, the surrounding sky, the surroundings, etc. as I didn't want to get caught up in any one thing for too long.  Shortly after totality began, I tried out my binoculars... I don't know if it was nervous energy or what but I probably wasted a good 15-20 seconds trying to locate the eclipsed sun through the binoculars.  That was just an amazing sight.  

There are things I would like to do a little differently next time.  Fortunately the one in 2024 lasts for about 4 minutes.

• Like 2

I have been reflecting a lot on the experience too. In some ways it seems like yesterday. In other ways it was so long ago. Maybe I just can't wait for 2024.

Weather this year would have been horrible. Just helps me realize how so very lucky we were who saw it in totality last year. Such a powerful experience! 

I shocked my storm chasing partner when I pulled out binoculars. He is actually more into astronomy so I was surprised he questioned me. Yup, perfectly safe a totality. Solar flares and chromosphere stand out well through the binoculars. Of course the wider corona is a naked eye visual. 

Yeah I learned what I will do, and what I will not do, in 2024. Glad I scanned the horizon as the shadow approached. Documenting the cicadas was good, but trying to photograph the dimming light cost time/attention. No attempt to photograph the sun and corona, again time consuming, but I will once again photo the surroundings. Yes it felt rushed, despite so much prep. Hope a longer one helps.

I read somewhere the second one is usually more meaningful, probably for some of these reasons. We will know what to expect. We can really soak in the experience. 

The day was remarkable for personal as well as scientific reasons. Family all came. Sharing it with my curious young daughter makes it truly priceless!

• Like 1