• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 21, 2017 Solar Eclipse

Hoosier

Found a great spot south of Arrow Rock MO. Drove through a lot of rain and grunge to get here. Skies are clear in sw and southern sky. Don't know if that clearing will make it here quite in time or not. At least I can see the sun through the clouds already though. Saw a lot of people camping along the highway at various locations along the way. This is like one giant chaser convergence lol.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Found a great spot south of Arrow Rock MO. Drove through a lot of rain and grunge to get here. Skies are clear in sw and southern sky. Don't know if that clearing will make it here quite in time or not. At least I can see the sun through the clouds already though. Saw a lot of people camping along the highway at various locations along the way. This is like one giant chaser convergence lol.

I'm in a tear, west or south... 

17 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

I'm in a tear, west or south... 

If you're near Chillicothe, per your last post, you're in a tough spot.  You don't have time to drive far in either direction.  Clouds over ne KS are thickening/expanding and moving ne, so I don't think driving west would do you much good.  There's a break in the cloud canopy east of KC.

21 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Nice.....I set up shop in Columbia in a park with 360 views and a bunch of people....some with some pretty sick equipment.....it's hazy but Its not terrible.....and it seems to want to clear out every so often.....gets brighter than dimmer....storms to your NW....glad I didn't go to Marshall

40 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

If you're near Chillicothe, per your last post, you're in a tough spot.  You don't have time to drive far in either direction.  Clouds over ne KS are thickening/expanding and moving ne, so I don't think driving west would do you much good.  There's a break in the cloud canopy east of KC.

Drove 20 min west, south of Hamilton, MO and have a good view. Got some thin cirrus clouds, but sun is shining through. Got to a good spot with no time to spare.

48 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Thick clouds appear to be moving in from the sw, though.

Held off just long enough to witness complete totality, which lasted about 1:30 seconds in and of itself. Clouds moving in now, but I couldn't care less. I saw what I came to see and it was breathtaking.

30 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Jim Cantore in Carbondale and Jen Carfagno in Nashville, both had totality ruined by fair weather clouds.  Even if the weather is great, you still have to get lucky.

Yep, right over downtown Nashville. By the time it moved in / developed, it was too late to drive outside of it.

At least we weren't screwed alone. Charleston, SC got ****ed also. Plus, there's always 2024.

5 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Yep, right over downtown Nashville. By the time it moved in / developed, it was too late to drive outside of it.

At least we weren't screwed alone. Charleston, SC got ****ed also. Plus, there's always 2024.

Charleston except for a small gap in the clouds near the Naval Base where NBC got lucky got screwed 

Made it all of the way down here before realizing I forgot to get eclipse glasses. Luckily was able to score free ones at the Waffle House of all places.

The eclipse was definitely one of the more interesting and awesome experiences I've had.

Ended up having brief totality where I was southeast of St. Louis. A cool experience...Watching the eclipse occur, it gradually getting dark, and the shadow waves before/after totality. Also seeing a few of the brighter stars/planets around totality, and the 360 degree sunset-like sky.

Definitely will be in position for the 2024 eclipse and a greater period of totality.

Good Lord traffic is bad.  Interstate, state road, doesn't matter.  Definitely much worse leaving this thing than driving in.

Makes me happy I didn't go that far south. Had some traffic on I-55 from the east side of St. Louis on up to Springfield, but it's been clear since then.

29 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Good Lord traffic is bad.  Interstate, state road, doesn't matter.  Definitely much worse leaving this thing than driving.

I'm not leaving until tomorrow, but it's the construction that concerns me, both on I-65 in Elizabethtown, KY and I-75 in Cincinnati.

42 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Makes me happy I didn't go that far south. Had some traffic on I-55 from the east side of St. Louis on up to Springfield, but it's been clear since then.

I keep alternating between I-57 and 37 and they both suck.  I'm still like 50 miles south of Effingham.  :weep:

That was absolutely phenomenal.  Hype definitely met expectations.  Stressed out all morning about the damn clouds/rain, and hurried further southeast as far as I could get and still get time to sit and enjoy it for awhile.  Set up north of Nelson MO, or just southwest of Arrow Rock.  Cirrus canopy from the decaying storms was very slow to move out.  It did slowly thin though and allowed more and more of the sun to shine through.  By the time totality arrived the cirrus was pretty thin so was able to see the eclipse quite nicely.  The diamond ring at the beginning and end of the totality was what really surprised me.  Was absolutely stunning.  Had sort of a violet color to it, possibly caused by that thin veil of cirrus.  The whole thing was just awesome.  Can't wait until 2024!

Short time lapse.  You can see the shadow of totality pass overhead courtesy of the thin cirrus canopy.  (Next eclipse I want to have footage shooting in all directions.)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

It was something how the light was changing throughout but especially in the final few minutes before totality (and particularly in the final minute) and how the eyes would try to adjust.   Like looking through tints.

When totality hit it was like how when you're in a movie theater and the lights quickly dim when the feature starts.  Sort of a strange feeling.

8 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

That was absolutely phenomenal.  Hype definitely met expectations.  Stressed out all morning about the damn clouds/rain, and hurried further southeast as far as I could get and still get time to sit and enjoy it for awhile.  Set up north of Nelson MO, or just southwest of Arrow Rock.  Cirrus canopy from the decaying storms was very slow to move out.  It did slowly thin though and allowed more and more of the sun to shine through.  By the time totality arrived the cirrus was pretty thin so was able to see the eclipse quite nicely.  The diamond ring at the beginning and end of the totality was what really surprised me.  Was absolutely stunning.  Had sort of a violet color to it, possibly caused by that thin veil of cirrus.  The whole thing was just awesome.  Can't wait until 2024!

Short time lapse.  You can see the shadow of totality pass overhead courtesy of the thin cirrus canopy.  (Next eclipse I want to have footage shooting in all directions.)

Thatnwas great man.....I feel like a member of a new club now.....just tremendous an experience

• Like 1