Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 21, 2017 Solar Eclipse

Hoosier

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I saw a story about some guy in southern IL who is opening up his land for parking.  He has dozens of acres and based on what he's charging, he could end up making $20000+ if things go well.  All for living in the right spot at the right time lol

Word.....I'm looking for land in Montana to buy for the one in 2044....lol

Probably be taking off from here around 4 to get down to Osceola by around sunset.  My secondary target of near Beatrice NE is looking pretty sketchy at this point.  Probably going to stick with my original target between Cameron and Marshall MO.  May end up bouncing back north and do some chasing up in Iowa after the eclipse.  Total eclipse and severe weather in the same day?  

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Probably be taking off from here around 4 to get down to Osceola by around sunset.  My secondary target of near Beatrice NE is looking pretty sketchy at this point.  Probably going to stick with my original target between Cameron and Marshall MO.  May end up bouncing back north and do some chasing up in Iowa after the eclipse.  Total eclipse and severe weather in the same day?  

You know what would be the holy grail of shots?  A pic of the eclipse with lightning in the distance.  Probably a tough combo to pull off lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I'm on I-55.  Encountered a backup just south of I-80 but other than that, traffic seems pretty typical so far.  Hope it continues.  

I'm in elizabethtown, ky and traffic on I-65 has slowed to a crawl at best.

Won't get to Nashville until night fall at this pace.

The rural roads, judging from the overpasses, are the same.

22 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Made it to Osceola.  Saw quite a few patrol vehicles on the way in on route 34. 

Came in to Chariton via 80 and 14 and 80 was full, but still flowing with no issues and 14 had no traffic, even less than normal. Also didn't see a single patrol vehicle along the way, kinda unusual given the increased traffic volume

4 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Came in to Chariton via 80 and 14 and 80 was full, but still flowing with no issues and 14 had no traffic, even less than normal. Also didn't see a single patrol vehicle along the way, kinda unusual given the increased traffic volume

Yeah I'm staying off the interstates tomorrow.  Gonna take various highways and zig-zag my way south.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

My hotel has quite a few eclipse chasers. People I talked to and others I overheard, and I'm in Maryland Heights which is about a mile outside totality.

Sweet.  You won't have to go too far tomorrow.  Still a good 2hr drive to get into the totality path from here.  Plan on leaving between 8 and 9 so should have plenty of time to get into position.  Gonna have the gopro take some vid but other than that I'm just gonna watch and enjoy.

34 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Sweet.  You won't have to go too far tomorrow.  Still a good 2hr drive to get into the totality path from here.  Plan on leaving between 8 and 9 so should have plenty of time to get into position.  Gonna have the gopro take some vid but other than that I'm just gonna watch and enjoy.

I'm gonna take a couple pics but other than that, just going to enjoy with my eyes.  Part of me can't believe this day is finally here (well, almost).  There are few things in life that you can know the exact day years in advance.  

Good luck to all.

10 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'm gonna take a couple pics but other than that, just going to enjoy with my eyes.  Part of me can't believe this day is finally here (well, almost).  There are few things in life that you can know the exact day years in advance.  

Good luck to all.

Yeah kind of crazy that it's now the night before the event after all this buildup of anticipation over the past several weeks/months.  I ran a timer on my phone down from 2 minutes and 38 seconds to kind of get a sense of how quickly it will pass lol.  Good luck to all you guys, and drive safe tomorrow.

EDIT:  Some storms popping up a little west of here.  May have to head out for some lightning pics in a bit.

HRRR now blowing up convection right over my target area around 18z for the past two runs. Lololol, you gotta love it.  None of the models had indicated anything like that there up until now.  Thinking about heading back to Beatrice NE now.  Probably be a nice dense cirrus canopy there at the least.  I seriously just want to forget it and head home but have already come this far. 

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Looking pretty stormy outside here.  Some thunder in the distance.  Gonna head down towards Marshall MO and hope for the best concerning the clouds.  Definitely won't be clear there, but hopefully the cirrus canopy won't be too thick.  Should be about a 6hr drive back home after the event.

Dude I was just there....I got off 70 to assess visible then decided to divert to Ashland.... come over....bright sun....crunch time

Left earlier this morning and forgot my Canon battery, so had to go back for it.

Been back on the road though, near Dwight now. 3hrs 15min out from the east side of STL.

Probably will hit the Central IL MCS on the way down, which has a shelf cloud. So a little bit of everything today.

Probably will be some pop up storms down south during eclipse time. Pulling for that elusive shot Hoosier mentioned before.

Found a wonderful couple on FB that let us camp on their property in western KY.  Been out and about and there's not much happening around here, well, because there is nothing around here!  Literally in the middle of nowhere which is nice. Barely have cell service.  Just leaving Mantle Rock Preserve after a morning a walk. Heading back to break camp and drive around the hills for awhile.  I'm sandwiched between 133 and 135 near Lola about 3 miles from totality. Forecast is about as good as you can get for here atm.  I'm not going to get into the crowds to my SE or NW so if it happens here it happens :D

17 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

This is about 20 miles from my friends house outside Bend Oregon on Staurday.  He said there are 4 of these tent cities set up outside of town and this is the smallest!  

image7.jpeg

That's the Oregon Eclipse Festival in Prineville, OR, and it's the biggest eclipse gathering in central Oregon. A week-long fest with live music, art installations, etc. They expected to draw at least 30k for the festival. https://www.news4jax.com/news/eclipse/thousands-flock-to-oregon-eclipse-festival

Here's the festival website: http://oregoneclipse2017.com/