Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 21, 2017 Solar Eclipse

Hoosier

3 hours ago, ice1972 said:

Guys good high resolution visible satellite links?  That can be zoomed up on?  Need to see clouds in high detail.....provided there's an actual cell service lol

and looped too

GOES-16 imagery from COD is the best that I know of.  http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=cenplains-07-24-0

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

A lot of Missouri looks iffy to put it mildly on the 00z GFS.

GFS and Euro showing an active convective signal for Sunday night/Monday morning with that potent LLJ over the Plains/MO valley.  Euro has focused the convection further to the north the past few runs compared to several earlier runs.  This would be good news for the eclipse corridor further to the south.  

It's looking like the LLJ and associated convection is pretty much a go at this point, but the question is how far north/south will this set up.  I'm really hoping the MO area is good to go as I really don't want to drive all the way to Nebraska.  Also don't want to go to southern IL.

8 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

GFS and Euro showing an active convective signal for Sunday night/Monday morning with that potent LLJ over the Plains/MO valley.  Euro has focused the convection further to the north the past few runs compared to several earlier runs.  This would be good news for the eclipse corridor further to the south.  

It's looking like the LLJ and associated convection is pretty much a go at this point, but the question is how far north/south will this set up.  I'm really hoping the MO area is good to go as I really don't want to drive all the way to Nebraska.  Also don't want to go to southern IL.

Me too, as thats where I am most likely headed for the eclipse since I have family in N MO, I'd hate for it to be socked with clouds, especially since there won't be another one in this area for a very long time. 

13 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

You and me both.  Nebraska is like my plan D.  Really don't want to go there but I've come this far with anticipation so I would do it if it's abundantly clear that areas farther east won't work.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
National Weather Service Kansas City/Pleasant Hill MO
303 PM CDT Wed Aug 16 2017

.Specifics for the Total Solar Eclipse on August 21st...
Issued at 303 PM CDT WED AUG 16 2017

Model projections continue to show an fairly unsettled weather
pattern early next week as zonal flow along the northern periphery
of a southeastern U.S. ridge impacts the area. Under this
configuration, passing shortwave disturbances appear likely, and
latest model trends support remnant convection early Monday
morning with additional activity possible during the afternoon
hours. Considering we`re still 4+ days out, a lot can still
change, but overall trends this afternoon continue to support the
notion that cloud cover will be present to at least some degree
over the Lwr Missouri Vly early Monday afternoon. Whether its
dense enough to inhibit eclipse viewing remains elusive this far
out, and more details will follow in the coming days.

Can't really say I am a huge fan of that AFD 

10 hours ago, ice1972 said:

Guys good high resolution visible satellite links?  That can be zoomed up on?  Need to see clouds in high detail.....provided there's an actual cell service lol

and looped too

The NASA site also has GOES 16 images/loops.  Unlike COD, NASA lets you zoom in to any location. https://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/goes/abi/goesEastconusband02.html

• Like 1

The weather across Iowa is looking increasingly bad Monday, with a good chance of showers and storms, and certainly clouds.  It would be pretty frustrating if the path of totality passed through here, especially considering much of the month has been sunny and dry.

I hope the Missouri watchers can avoid the cloud debris.

9 hours ago, Torchageddon said:

Are you still going to that appointment on Monday before the eclipse?

Yes. Especially seeing how I have a tooth or some other problem that has erupted this past week. I'll take my 90% and be fine with it. After all, it is not the end of the world, yet.

I basically have two targets picked out now.  Either somewhere south of Cameron MO, or near Beatrice NE depending on cloud issues.  Staying in Osceola IA Sunday night.  Will make the decision first thing Monday morning as to which target to go to.  If both areas are compromised then I guess we'll just have to roll with it and try to enjoy it even with cloudy skies.

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

I basically have two targets picked out now.  Either somewhere south of Cameron MO, or near Beatrice NE depending on cloud issues.  Staying in Osceola IA Sunday night.  Will make the decision first thing Monday morning as to which target to go to.  If both areas are compromised then I guess we'll just have to roll with it and try to enjoy it even with cloudy skies.

I'm headed to Ravenna NE.....not far from Beatrice....good luck man...

Plan is to leave the hotel very early Monday morning for the Missouri/Illinois border area.  If I have to adjust east, I have a couple targets picked out near center line in IL/KY, and hopefully I'd be able to get through the traffic apocalypse to make it in time.  Ideally want to be near the center, but comfortably within the zone will do if I can't make it to my targets.