Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2017 OBS

yotaman

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, gman said:

Very intense thunderstorm here for the last 45 minutes and it's not moving. Rain at 2" per hour. 

Update at 9:35. Were at 2" and counting. 

wow, what a spectacular lightning show last night - I live just south of downtown Greenville so I did not get the massive rainfall points north did (also, I couldn't record my rainfall as my Vantage Vue rainfall gauge works sporadically)

Man that blew up in a hurry.  I was watching on radar as storms developed just to the east and north of me and slowly started to move away to the northeast.  I walked outside to get a look and BAM. A lightning strike at what appeared to be the end of my driveway.  I heard the click as it struck. Then wind, probably 40 mph plus for several minutes as rain started to fall.  I went back in and the radar had blown up with a rapid back-build to the west from a NE moving storm.  Best storm of the year here and 10 minutes before it started I would have said, based on the radar, that we were not going to get anything. Rain guage shows an inch in the last 20 minutes. It's about over now. 

Positive: Great show.

Negative: My grass will need mowing next weekend when the temps will be near 100.

1 hour ago, jburns said:

Man that blew up in a hurry.  I was watching on radar as storms developed just to the east and north of me and slowly started to move away to the northeast.  I walked outside to get a look and BAM. A lightning strike at what appeared to be the end of my driveway.  I heard the click as it struck. Then wind, probably 40 mph plus for several minutes as rain started to fall.  I went back in and the radar had blown up with a rapid back-build to the west from a NE moving storm.  Best storm of the year here and 10 minutes before it started I would have said, based on the radar, that we were not going to get anything. Rain guage shows an inch in the last 20 minutes. It's about over now. 

Positive: Great show.

Negative: My grass will need mowing next weekend when the temps will be near 100.

Yeah options are limited, could try to get it early but deal with wet grass/super high RH or wait and try to get it right at dark but it will still be in the 90's.......but the DP should mix out some in the afternoon. I guess you could always go with the "madman" option and do it around 1-2 in the afternoon. Here we get enough rain that my yard needs it every 5 days or so but I try to go 7, luckily I got Thur off this week so it will get it after 4 days this time around its either that or it goes 10-12 days lol.

We had storm fire like that at 9:30 last night radar was clear and inside of 20 mins its was storms all over.....

Archived