• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Why is Air Temp Higher than Ground Temp in the morning?

Phlerndip

It is my understanding that Rays from the sun heat the surface of the Earth through radiation.  The ground then heats the air through convection and conduction.

Knowing this,  How come in in the morning,  around 10am,  the air temperature can be higher than the ground temperature.  This morning in Western NY,  The surface temperature maps said the surface was 64 degrees,  while the air temperature was 72 degrees.

Can someone who knows more than me please explain why this happens?

Thank you

The simple answer is that the ground is more efficient at heating during the day/cooling at night than the air.  After sunrise, it takes some time for enough of the sun's energy to reverse the ground cooler/air warmer process that happened overnight.

The simple answer is that the ground is more efficient at heating during the day/cooling at night than the air.  After sunrise, it takes some time for enough of the sun's energy to reverse the ground cooler/air warmer process that happened overnight.

Isn't the air heated by the ground though? How can that happen if the grounds temperature is lower?

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Archived