joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Obs/Disco Thread

George BM

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a hell of a thing to not see rain gauge numbers change when its pouring out.  So outside I go to see whats up and the damn hole is clogged.  20 sec outside and you get totally soaked.

Good storms for the last two days.  Well over 1" but didn't check to see how much more i got last night.

8 hours ago, yoda said:

Is @MN Transplant getting any rain?  Radar says yes... just want to make sure

Thunder outside

Got 0.45" from the cluster last night (I was completely asleep, so I didn't have to be annoyed that it turned into a juggernaut after it crossed the river).  Kudos on the late day HRRR yesterday nailing the cluster before it went up.

0.75" on the event.  I'll take it, but still annoyed that I missed more by miles N, E, and S.

26 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

.30" yesterday and .53" for the weekend. No thunder or lightning at all last night. All in all, a disappointing end to the hot streak.

On to things that matter, I hope everyone is safe on KI and the eastern shore. 

This. At least we got enough rain last night to know that it can still rain in this area. Still, really bad luck for our part of the forum with rain for the system.

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

.30" yesterday and .53" for the weekend. No thunder or lightning at all last night. All in all, a disappointing end to the hot streak.

On to things that matter, I hope everyone is safe on KI and the eastern shore. 

Pretty much exactly the same here. 

Still under 2 inches for the month.

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Got 0.45" from the cluster last night (I was completely asleep, so I didn't have to be annoyed that it turned into a juggernaut after it crossed the river).  Kudos on the late day HRRR yesterday nailing the cluster before it went up.

0.75" on the event.  I'll take it, but still annoyed that I missed more by miles N, E, and S.

Not sure what last night's put down in my backyard, but it was still pretty spotty as those storms went up almost literally over our heads. Went to sleep and had no idea it went to town just across the river. Completely missed the afternoon storms to the north. Oh well...I'll take my 1.5" or so for the weekend. I'm not really fussy about wind and lightning in situations like these. Just needed the rain.

23 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Yes, that map shows the desert regions pretty well. MOST did well. Only a few got screwed. 

I can tell you from the relative dry area on that map in Balt city - the whiff this time was bizarre to watch unfold. Wave after wave would approach and fall apart or form and train just north or just south. 

2 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I can tell you from the relative dry area on that map in Balt city - the whiff this time was bizarre to watch unfold. Wave after wave would approach and fall apart or form and train just north or just south. 

Been happening like that here as well, for weeks. and it continues..

50 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I'm so scarred from watching the radar this weekend that this storm is two miles from my house and I'm staring at the radar wondering how it will clip me.

0.08"

It is like I am in this weird purgatory where I am getting some rain, which is good, but where everyone around me is getting a bunch more.  And it isn't even like it is Bethesda or something, I'm talking McLean and Annandale and Burke.  Odd stuff.  0.83" for the three days.

As the southern edge of the thunderstorm line passed over about 30 mins ago it actually produced a well developed wall cloud here with clear rotation and possibly a bit of a funnel cloud for a short time. The feature went right over my house and just before the rain picked up and became absolutely huge drops with some sporadic hail mixed in for a brief time. Then as the wall cloud passed over the winds picked up and things got exciting for a time. At one point the winds were howling, wind swept rain, sun shining as it was clear just to the south and a double rainbow that ended in my yard. One of the neatest experiences. It reminded me a bit of a time in NC when a storm dropped a tornado right as it passed over me. Winds picked up and saw the funnel dropping then suddenly the dirt in the field across the highway starts to kick up and it developed. This time nothing came of it but I'm surprised nws missed the rotation.  I have to delete some photos then I'll post a few. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived