SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July Obs/Disco Thread

George BM

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.88" yesterday and .96" today so far.  Creek in our backyard is running pretty high and muddy.  One good downpour that drops .5 or more in a short period should push it out if its banks and into the yard.  It has been quite a while since I'v seen it in our yard.

2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

^LWX just issued a TOR.  Tops pushing 55kft and it's tightening up.  Looks good.  Probably riding the warm front.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Tornado Warning
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
640 PM EDT THU JUL 6 2017

The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
  Northeastern Orange County in central Virginia...
  North central Spotsylvania County in central Virginia...

* Until 715 PM EDT

* At 639 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
  was located 11 miles east of Orange, moving east at 15 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...For those in the direct path of a tornado touchdown,
           flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
           shelter. Damage to roofs, siding, and windows may occur.
           Mobile homes may be damaged or destroyed. Tree damage is
           likely.

* Locations impacted include...
  Gold Dale, Mine Run, Rhoadesville, Parker, Lake Of The Woods,
  Everona, Verdiersville, Burr Hill, Locust Grove and Flat Run.

WOO! Got to do tornado coverage for 20-25 minutes thanks to the tornado warning in Madison County earlier. Just tossed to commercial break talking about severe t-storm warning. 15 seconds after commercial break starts, BAM! Tornado warning. Immediately get on air and just go. What a rush... haha! Definitely wasn't expecting that. 

13 minutes ago, WxReese said:

WOO! Got to do tornado coverage for 20-25 minutes thanks to the tornado warning in Madison County earlier. Just tossed to commercial break talking about severe t-storm warning. 15 seconds after commercial break starts, BAM! Tornado warning. Immediately get on air and just go. What a rush... haha! Definitely wasn't expecting that. 

Are you an on-air met?  

3 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Are you an on-air met?  

Yup! For CBS19 in Charlottesville. I've been here 2.5 years after being in Columbus, GA for a little over 4 years.

Looking back at tornado coverage and you can tell I'm a bit rusty at the beginning. This is the 2nd day of tornado warnings I've had to cover here (other was February 24, 2016), so I had to quickly remember how to do tornado coverage. haha! 

But, man! Talk about a rush! HAHA! Even had to cut-in for a few minutes for that 4 minute Orange County warning. 

3 minutes ago, motsco said:

who the f calls weather delays for the nats?  not a drop. could be a hour into the game already.  and when it does rain still could play through it.  f ing stupid.  

Could be nearly 2 hours into the game already.  Instead, anyone tuning in is suddenly learning about the Canadian Football League (not that there's anything wrong with that; my family used to have season tickets to the Edmonton Eskimos).  I think last night was a bit of a surprise, precip-wise, so they, ahem, played safe tonight and it's turned out to be the wrong call.  Alas, no replay.  If they play this game tonight, only the die hards of the die hards will be around when it ends.

15 minutes ago, fourseasons said:

Could be nearly 2 hours into the game already.  Instead, anyone tuning in is suddenly learning about the Canadian Football League (not that there's anything wrong with that; my family used to have season tickets to the Edmonton Eskimos).  I think last night was a bit of a surprise, precip-wise, so they, ahem, played safe tonight and it's turned out to be the wrong call.  Alas, no replay.  If they play this game tonight, only the die hards of the die hards will be around when it ends.

stadium  almost empty , anyway i just don't understand, who ever is their weather pearson ( lawyer) should be fired, what a joke.  play the f ing game, he'll golf is some times played in worse rain. 

1 hour ago, WxReese said:

Yup! For CBS19 in Charlottesville. I've been here 2.5 years after being in Columbus, GA for a little over 4 years.

Looking back at tornado coverage and you can tell I'm a bit rusty at the beginning. This is the 2nd day of tornado warnings I've had to cover here (other was February 24, 2016), so I had to quickly remember how to do tornado coverage. haha! 

But, man! Talk about a rush! HAHA! Even had to cut-in for a few minutes for that 4 minute Orange County warning. 

FSU meteorology FTW!

Man is that atmosphere wet!  Hopefully any rain tonight is away from the flooded areas and in places that have missed out.

3.26 TOTAL from last evening thru 10pm tonight. I will not complain for at least a week. I was driving in Dale City earlier and saw a fully clothed grown man with headphones on splashing around in a large puddle. I think we know who that was. 

2 hours ago, WxReese said:

Nothing like covering a "surprise" tornado warning this afternoon! Let me know what y'all think and what I can do better next time. (Other than being out of breath at the start as I was running around to get us on the air ASAP from the commercial break during the newscast.) 

1 hour ago, WxReese said:

Nothing like covering a "surprise" tornado warning this afternoon! Let me know what y'all think and what I can do better next time. (Other than being out of breath at the start as I was running around to get us on the air ASAP from the commercial break during the newscast.) 

It sucks to see no response to your request.  You're much better at that than many of us, but maybe you could look up some past footage or possibly reach out to other local media forecasters to compare your work. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived