SnowHabit
July Banter Thread

George BM

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Go big or go home!

I'm going to try Finally Legal by Weyerbacher. Sounds awesome, and I randomly picked it up just a couple weeks ago.

Just poured the fourth, and last, of the Sumatra Mountain brown ales. Didn't last 5 days in the fridge.

I'm awful at saving nice beers :(

5 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Just poured the fourth, and last, of the Sumatra Mountain brown ales. Didn't last 5 days in the fridge.

I'm awful at saving nice beers :(

I've got a Pliny and a Worldwide stout that are not long for this world

July 31, 1987, leaving an office building in downtown Edmonton, Alberta, around 3 in the afternoon.  Lots of clouds.  It didn't feel right.  I was 10 years old.

We got in the van, and as we reached the then-outskirts of Edmonton at 167th and Manning Drive, the latter of which becomes Highway 15, my big brother turned around. 

"Mom, there's a tornado back there."

Mom, who grew up in St. Louis, was skeptical.

My dad turned around and told her my brother was right.  There were multiple vorticies in the air, not touching the ground.

By the time we got home, which was about 14 miles away to the NE, I, my siblings, and my mom spent quality time in the basement while my dad took pictures from my bedroom window as the most destructive northernmost tornado was running up the eastern side of Edmonton, from Millwoods to the industrial area of Sherwood Park to the Evergreen Trailer Park, which was no more than a mile and a half to the east of where my brother said, "Mom, there's a tornado back there." 

It was classified as an EF-4.  If it had hit a few miles to the west it would have hit the downtown.  Instead, it hit a residential area, ran through an industrial area, and then hit another residential area, including the Evergreen Trailer Park.  27 died, 15 of those in the trailer park.  At that point it picked itself up.  If it hadn't, it may have visited my home.

The warning went up right around the time it hit the ground.

There has been an EF-5 in Manitoba, but it ran through a rural area. 

Here is a compilation of videos showing the tornado.

And one of the many news reports.

i've been to downtown ellicott before (phoenix emporium, which makes pretty solid long island's).  one of the odder, unique little spots i've been to.  reminds me of a spot i went to in colorado.  i don't remember, but it was a little valley similar to ellicott.  that flood was crucial.  glad to see they've made a comeback.  i haven't been there in a while but i'm due.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived