Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Drought watch 2017

dailylurker

37 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Looks like we are heading into a drought. How long will it last and how bad will it get? We can use this thread to discuss this summer's dust bowl. I'll tell you what. My grass hasn't been this burnt since I knocked over a firework fountain a few years back.

Haven't mowed in 3 weeks now, except for the patched-seed areas that I've been watering.

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

Ugh.. It's going to get real hot if we don't get rain. Dry ground makes big heat easier. 

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

I wonder where that data comes from?  June to July climo seems unusual.

Ended up with 2.3" for June here, but much of that fell in one day. Its super dry here.

Same story. Weeds, grass going to thatch, and watering the areas I seeded in March, but that is likely futile. Soil here is super well drained and too many big trees around sucking the yard dry.

AccuWeather did a good job of forecasting the May rain well in advance, and they are currently forecasting a total of 8.40 inches at DCA during July and August combined, versus a 1981-2010 normal for those two months of 6.64 inches (and an 1871-2016 average of 8.23 inches). 

On 6/30/2017 at 8:42 PM, C.A.P.E. said:

This is why I never complain much about a wet spring. May was great. One of these years maybe we can keep it going and have "normal" rainfall in June and July. Always seems to go this way though in recent years.

I learned a long time ago that you take the rain whenever you can get it here, because the next drought is usually just one month away.

15 hours ago, Stormpc said:

.66 for June. Everything burned. Road medians, fields, lawns. Tree leaves turning brown. Cracked clay ground. It's bad. I expect this in early August. Not JULY 1. 

By early August north VA will be turned into Hell. It will be a searing super HOT wasteland. Trees will be dying by the millions. Lawns will be brown everywhere. We will have long ago forgotten what rain is, what a cold front is. All will be extreme searing heat and all-encompassing dryness. Rain and tropical entities will stay FAR AWAY from north VA. Astronauts will marvel at the deep gray/brown part of eastern North America visible from space and will comment that that is northern Virginia, where a poor rain weenie known as Jebman has not had any measurable rain for months. Creeks will be bone DRY. People will be frantically digging wells deeper and deeper. Meteorologists will marvel at all the millions of amazing ways Nature will find to cause thunderstorms to just dry up anywhere near north VA. It will be as if someone built a wall all around northern Virginia that is invisible and at least 20 miles tall, that lets air and sunlight and searing heat and choking humidity in, but keeps all rain OUT. People will walk on their crunchy lawns and leave foot shaped marks as crunchy dried grass just breaks off. Pedestrians will be routinely murdered or gravely injured by rolling tumbleweeds that are propelled by the strong HOT dry southwest winds.

If you click on the Rainfall map on Sterling's site for the past 30 days, and zoom out to show the whole east coast, you see a green hole showing the least rainfall for the whole east coast right over the DC region (except for a few lucky spots).  Link below; click on last 30 days.

Dryness begets dryness.  This is going to be a nasty one -- less than an inch for July?

Rainfall Map

17 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

If you click on the Rainfall map on Sterling's site for the past 30 days, and zoom out to show the whole east coast, you see a green hole showing the least rainfall for the whole east coast right over the DC region (except for a few lucky spots).  Link below; click on last 30 days.

Dryness begets dryness.  This is going to be a nasty one -- less than an inch for July?

Rainfall Map

Not only does dry beget dry, but it also begets SEARING HELLISH HEAT, and we will see absolutely NO MERCY --- NONE AT ALL. I'll get about .000000000000000001 rain for July. Good thing I have a scanning electron microscope for measuring rainfall with. I usually use it for measuring the nanotechnological amounts of snow we get here in the winter, though.

If we have a near neutral ENSO in September and the rest of the fall - dont count on tropical systems getting caught up in the frontal structures.

WE had a Neutral ENSO state last Sept and thru the fall last year and we were dry as a bone

Neutral ENSO means two things for North VA:

1) Very little snow in the winter, and 

2)Very little to no rain at all in the Summer and Fall.

Take it to the Bank, you'll gain lots of interest, it never fails.

On 7/3/2017 at 4:51 AM, Jebman said:

Not only does dry beget dry, but it also begets SEARING HELLISH HEAT, and we will see absolutely NO MERCY --- NONE AT ALL. I'll get about .000000000000000001 rain for July. Good thing I have a scanning electron microscope for measuring rainfall with. I usually use it for measuring the nanotechnological amounts of snow we get here in the winter, though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2017 at 9:52 PM, RodneyS said:

AccuWeather did a good job of forecasting the May rain well in advance, and they are currently forecasting a total of 8.40 inches at DCA during July and August combined, versus a 1981-2010 normal for those two months of 6.64 inches (and an 1871-2016 average of 8.23 inches). 

AccuWeather came up a little short, as July rainfall at DCA has totaled 9.15 inches . . .

Archived