Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2017 Observations & Discussions Thread

bluewave

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

Yep, for it to stay in the 60's during the day at the end of July is impressive.  Currently 60° right now.

That ranks up there as the more depressing weather scenarios. I know a few people who planned to go to a water park today, not a good look. I've gone to that water park on LI once it was mid 70s and breezy and that was a little too cool to really enjoy it.  Unless you get in and stay in a pool and you acclimate to it..but to go on rides, where you get kinda wet, then dry off and repeat. Not pleasant at all.

I would think you'd need rain most the day to keep it below 70, but to do it with little to no precip is really impressive. we'll see.

5 minutes ago, dWave said:

That ranks up there as the more depressing weather scenarios. I know a few people who planned to go to a water park today, not a good look. I've gone to that water park on LI once it was mid 70s and breezy and that was a little too cool to really enjoy it.  Unless you get in and stay in a pool and you acclimate to it..but to go on rides, where you get kinda wet, then dry off and repeat. Not pleasant at all.

I would think you'd need rain most the day to keep it below 70, but to do it with little to no precip is really impressive. we'll see.

61 here and it's gone up one degree.  NE wind about 10mph continues to funnel cold air in.  Upton's 70 here is going to be a stretch to achieve unless there's sun at some point.

July 25th has record highs about five degrees lower than the previous days...after the most 100 degree days on July 21st and 22nd the record highs dropped below 100...It's almost like a January thaw period late in the month...this being a break in the heat portion of July......

11 minutes ago, uncle W said:

July 25th has record highs about five degrees lower than the previous days...after the most 100 degree days on July 21st and 22nd the record highs dropped below 100...It's almost like a January thaw period late in the month...this being a break in the heat portion of July......

Much different from the last 2 Julys with major heat during the last week of the month. We should run on the cool side for the warmest max of the last week of July since 2000.

7/25-7/31 max temps at Newark since 2000:

5977607a3e1ee_Screenshot2017-07-25at11_09_38AM.png.5802c6bbc08863c55affa0dcfd291baa.png

1 hour ago, dWave said:

When I was a kid we went to action park ( the ultimate though splish splash is also fun) on a day exactly like today and it was the best thing ever. We had the place to ourselves. Walk up and on to every ride all day. 

This is an extremely anomolous day though

42 minutes ago, uncle W said:

2000's warmest 30 day stretch averaged 72.7...That tied 1888 for the lowest for such periods...

Yeah, July 2000 was all about clouds, rain, and low pressure driving the departures. NYC finished July 2000 with a -6.2 max and a -2.8 min departure. Continued in August with -5.1 max and -1.0 min departure.

3 hours ago, dWave said:

Yeah, today is too cool for any water activities.  Our pool temp is gonna tank now with these 50's at night and 60's during the day.

2 hours ago, Dan76 said:

Upwelling from the northerly wind yesterday. Temps will rebound once the sun comes back out and winds go onshore. This is why you can never say oh look the water offshore is near 80 a tropical threat will be enhanced. Even the increased surf in front of a hurricane will upwell colder water and drop us to around 70 before arrival. That's why you need a cane to rocket out of the Gulf Stream like 38 to really maintain a fully tropical core 

11 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Not so sure about that. EWR will be around .5 above with only 5 days left in the month. May end up closer to just a few tenths above average

At this rate EWR will go slightly below areas just south of I-195 will remain solidly above normal and NYC/LGA/JFK around +1. 

Archived