Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2017 Observations & Discussions Thread

bluewave

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wxallannj said:

Here in Clifton, NJ it reached 90 degrees, I have recorded 23  90 degree plus days on July 18th which is the most of any day of the year since I started my records in 1973.   

Are you sure your station is sited properly? Or there might be an instrumentation issue. Even Newark and PHL don't have more than 16 days of 90F for the season.

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

Highest I see is Sandy Hook at 78...most areas are around 74-75, which isn't that abnormal for this time of year...once you hit the low 80's im impressed...

Makes sense.  Fair amount of above normal water temps in the basin though.    Amazing we've lucked out the last 5 years with no hurricane having a little extra life over those warm waters and plowing into someone.

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

Pretty unimpressive maximum temps coming up the next few days for late July. 90-95 is on the cool side for July maxes. Looks like June 11-13 will continue to be the hottest of the summer so far from EWR to LGA when it reached 99 and 101. First time since 2008 that June heat beat out July.

I wonder if August will finally bring in the big heat.  Perhaps we pull a September 2015 with some late season warmth.

16 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Makes sense.  Fair amount of above normal water temps in the basin though.    Amazing we've lucked out the last 5 years with no hurricane having a little extra life over those warm waters and plowing into someone.

Yea. I'm headed to the beach for the first time this season on Saturday. Cant believe it has taken so long, been busy and the weather was bad in June. But i am glad the water temps are relatively warm so we can go in the water. Although when i was in Hilton Head the water was 85, so 75 will feel cold...

4 hours ago, bluewave said:

Pretty unimpressive maximum temps coming up the next few days for late July. 90-95 is on the cool side for July maxes. Looks like June 11-13 will continue to be the hottest of the summer so far from EWR to LGA when it reached 99 and 101. First time since 2008 that June heat beat out July.

today and tomorrow look like 95-99 to me with max 850's just under 20c. tonight should be another 80f or greater low for the hot spots

Just now, psv88 said:

Just hit 90 here now, gross outside, TD of 77...

Yeah it's insanely hot here on the south shore too. Just mowed the lawn at my house and I'm drenched. Actually pretty good heat setup with very little cloud debris and offshore waters warming up big time negating the sea breeze a bit 

9 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

The high dewpoints for the better part of a week are the bigger story to me.   Run of the mill July heat, but dewpoints in the low to mid 70's for a week-wow.  It's like Florida.

Some of the deepest blue skies I've seen in awhile.  Beautiful day, but humid nonetheless.

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The latest SSTA that just came out is still above normal for August but cooler than July.

Even if we beat guidance the next few days, I still think we come up short of the June 99 at EWR and 101 at LGA.

i agree. probably 97-98

13 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The latest SSTA that just came out is still above normal for August but cooler than July.

Even if we beat guidance the next few days, I still think we come up short of the June 99 at EWR and 101 at LGA.

Thanks for the info.  I feel like August could be a toss-up this Summer.

10 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Towers shooting up over the island now, few showers popping as well, dark clouds overhead, maybe something nice pops

I noticed that the seabreeze front usually produces thunderstorms on Long Island whenever the dewpoint hits 75 like they see in Florida.

Shirley        SUNNY     85  76  74 S12 

Archived