• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2017 Discussion

9 hours ago, IthielZ said:

Oddity of the night: both ORD and DTW reporting "Smoke" due to atmospheric conditions causing the 4th of July fireworks smoke in the respective cities to linger at ground level.

Must have been a hell of a lot of sparklers in Illinois to get to that point. Michigan has real legal fireworks and I can imagine this happening at DTW.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/4/2017 at 11:33 AM, Powerball said:

As far as the bolded, 2012 was more stormy with a couple rounds of severe weather. During the late afternoon hours, after temps surged into the low 100s, multi-cell storms rapdly popped up over the heart of the metro area producing numerous reports of large hail and 3-4" of rain (within 2 hours) along the I-75 corridor from downtown to Ferndale. Then, later that night between 3-5am, a bow-echo more through producing numerous high wind reports leaving thousands of people without power 

It's just that, despite smacking Detroit proper and the immediate surrounding suburbs hard, the storms in 2012 were mostly north and east of DTW,

I actually got quite the storm on July 4, 2012 (while DTW 7 miles west didnt get a drop). But July 4, 1969 had severe hail, tornadoes, and derechos. My mom was 11 an she can remember it. It was quite the outbreak on that day, surprised you have never heard of it.

18 hours ago, CCM said:

It pretty much takes record blocking for us to have BN temperatures nowadays. And as soon as a "cool stretch" ends we start breaking records lol. 

We have been in a warm stretch for since late 2015. Prior to that we were in a cool stretch (Feb 2013 - Mar 2017 DTW had 25 AN months and 25 BN months). Im sure you were being facetious but it does not take record blocking to get BN temps lol. Looking at computerized monthly outlooks for the next several months, nothing extreme either way (doesnt mean it cant happen though).

Im summer I really dont care. I always prefer cooler than normal but it does not make or break my day regardless how the weather is. A notable trend (which has to do with both humidity and Urban Heat Island) is that summer overnight low temps are increasing much more than high temps. This summer has been for the most part comfortable here, and very likely could end up below the average amount of 90s but with a positive temp departure. Thats in no way a forecast btw. Just saying. There has actually been no real impressive heat here locally and there is none in sight. We have had 3 days of 90F so far, all in June, max 92F.

On 7/5/2017 at 2:53 PM, michsnowfreak said:

We have been in a warm stretch for since late 2015. Prior to that we were in a cool stretch (Feb 2013 - Mar 2017 DTW had 25 AN months and 25 BN months). Im sure you were being facetious but it does not take record blocking to get BN temps lol. Looking at computerized monthly outlooks for the next several months, nothing extreme either way (doesnt mean it cant happen though).

Im summer I really dont care. I always prefer cooler than normal but it does not make or break my day regardless how the weather is. A notable trend (which has to do with both humidity and Urban Heat Island) is that summer overnight low temps are increasing much more than high temps. This summer has been for the most part comfortable here, and very likely could end up below the average amount of 90s but with a positive temp departure. Thats in no way a forecast btw. Just saying. There has actually been no real impressive heat here locally and there is none in sight. We have had 3 days of 90F so far, all in June, max 92F.

I respect your opinion about the below-average number of 90-degree days expected this Summer. Only one 90 here, so far. Based what I am looking at on Gary's Weather2020 12-Week Forecast page, if you and I are looking for the next opportunities of 90-degree weather, we're better off waiting until sometime in August for anymore of those. Since the beginning of record-keeping for DAY, there has never been a Summer there when 90s were recorded exclusively in June. Earliest last 90 ever was on July 8, 1971. Definitely paying for last Summer. 

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

So far, this Summer has basically been a cooler repeat of 2016.

It has been somewhat better on the convection / severe weather front, but that's not saying much following last year's disaster.

Convection yes, severe no. We have had a few decent storms but not much severe weather. Last year was actually doing better to this point.

This spring/summer has been meh.

I think we've been under two TSTM watches, neither of which produced anything crazy. The long-range models don't look too promising either. 

Digging the low humidity attm because we just moved and our upstairs doesn't have a/c.

It looked like we would get through this early to mid week unsettledness without seeing any rain.  The storms have been small and pretty isolated.  However, late this evening, storms fired up by Dubuque and rode the outflow boundary southwestward through Cedar Rapids.  There were a couple hail and wind damage reports along the way, but it was just rain here.  I was fortunate to pick up 0.59", more than enough to refill the empty rain barrel.  A station only a half mile to my nw received nearly twice that.

This summer has def been warmer than last summer around here. Not nearly as humid though. 

If it weren't for the nino forcing/+PNA this summer would easily be as hot as 2012 if not hotter.

7 hours ago, Spartman said:

Based what I am looking at on Gary's Weather2020 12-Week Forecast page, if you and I are looking for the next opportunities of 90-degree weather, we're better off waiting until sometime in August for anymore of those

To quote Chicago storm: lol

8 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

It looked like we would get through this early to mid week unsettledness without seeing any rain.  The storms have been small and pretty isolated.  However, late this evening, storms fired up by Dubuque and rode the outflow boundary southwestward through Cedar Rapids.  There were a couple hail and wind damage reports along the way, but it was just rain here.  I was fortunate to pick up 0.59", more than enough to refill the empty rain barrel.  A station only a half mile to my nw received nearly twice that.

1.12 in Hiawatha in less than an hour, quite a pop up storm. I'll take it.

19 hours ago, Spartman said:

I respect your opinion about the below-average number of 90-degree days expected this Summer. Only one 90 here, so far. Based what I am looking at on Gary's Weather2020 12-Week Forecast page, if you and I are looking for the next opportunities of 90-degree weather, we're better off waiting until sometime in August for anymore of those. Since the beginning of record-keeping for DAY, there has never been a Summer there when 90s were recorded exclusively in June. Definitely paying for last Summer. 

yeah, won't hit 90 here until next month despite the fact that it's 91 at ORD right now.

oops.

19 hours ago, Stebo said:

Convection yes, severe no. We have had a few decent storms but not much severe weather. Last year was actually doing better to this point.

Technically, severe weather is pretty much a wash compared to last year (6 reports in 2017 vs. 7 reports in 2016 to-date).

That said, I did say combined convection / severe weather. There was NO meaningful convection in the Tri-County area before the lone supercell that tracked along the I-94 corridor on 7/8/16. Heck, half of the wind reports in 2016 to-date were from a line of low-topped *showers* in March.

Archived