joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2017 Discussion

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

89'd here and at MLI as well.  Had 90 in the bag until the mid-level cloud deck rolled in.  

Agree with kind of a meh weather pattern the next 10 days.  

Only 80 here today as thick clouds moved in early and stayed through late afternoon.

Yeah, the upcoming pattern looks decent, but zzzz.  I hope we can get some rain out of the early to midweek disturbance.  Most of it should miss south.

Interesting that NWS CLE has surveyed some microburst wind damage on June 29th. This is close to my brother's house.

-----

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service Cleveland OH
220 PM EDT Fri Jun 30 2017

...MICROBURST/STRAIGHT LINE WIND DAMAGE CONFIRMED IN PLAIN AND
LAKE TOWNSHIPS IN STARK COUNTY OHIO...

Location...Plain and Lake Townships in Stark County Ohio
Date...June 29, 2017
Estimated Time...9:07 pm EDT
Estimated Maximum Wind Speed...70-75 mph
Maximum Path Width...0.20 mi
Path Length...0.85 mi
* Fatalities...0
* Injuries...0

Overachived a bit, topping out at 88. Based on TWC and given the warm bias in the medium and long ranges of the models, especially yesterday's 18Z, 00Z, and today's 06Z editions of the GFS, this is likely just about the highest DAY will get throughout the 2/3 of this July, if not the whole month.

TWC10day.jpg

The next 2 weeks look to lean on the cool side. I'm really liking this summer. Been outside more time this summer than any of the last 3. Aside from work.

Just noticed last June was actually 1.5F cooler. Maybe it's a lack of humidity. 

Shrug

Overachived a bit, topping out at 88. Based on TWC and given the warm bias in the medium and long ranges of the models, especially yesterday's 18Z, 00Z, and today's 06Z editions of the GFS, this is likely just about the highest DAY will get throughout the 2/3 of this July, if not the whole month.

TWC10day.thumb.jpg.d938d71f64a04b40cd71b8dfed5a816e.jpg

lol

4 hours ago, Spartman said:

TWC10day.jpg

TWC... Starting to think you are a troll when you keep posting the same thing and are oblivious to others calling it out.

15 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

An absolutely perfect 4th of July. Temps started out in the upper 50s and we will top out 80-82 with clear, blue skies and very low humidity. This will be Detroit's 4th consecutive 4th of July with below normal temps, but not too long ago in 2012 we saw a record high of 102.

Such an awesome 4th of July that was too...

40 minutes ago, Powerball said:

LMAO...umm...NO!

Some other 4th of July weather facts for Detroit:

The coldest 4th of July was 1972 with a high of 67 an low of 49. That is both the record low and record low max for the day.

While 2012 was the hottest 4th of July, the low that day was still 71F. There were 10 4th of July's with warmer lows. Without looking at daily obs, the below 3 just reek of oppressive humidity:

1897: 94/77

1921: 95/79

1949: 97/77

Apple cider would have been more appropriate than apple pie in 1882, 1936, 1967, 1972, and 1997 when highs stayed in the 60s! They had NO idea what they were in for a few days later in 1936.

The most consecutive 4ths with 90F+ was 5 when each year 1899 to 1903 hit 90F+.

The most consecutive 4ths withOUT 90F was 18, when 1956 through 1973 did not see 90s on Independance Day.

The most severe weather on the 4th was 1969, when 2.38" hit DTW and severe storms were reported throughout the area.

7 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

LMAO...umm...NO!

The coldest 4th of July was 1972 with a high of 67 an low of 49. That is both the record low and record low max for the day.

While 2012 was the hottest 4th of July, the low that day was still 71F. There were 10 4th of July's with warmer lows. Without looking at daily obs, the below 3 just reek of oppressive humidity:

Apple cider would have been more appropriate than apple pie in 1882, 1936, 1967, 1972, and 1997 when highs stayed in the 60s!

The most consecutive 4ths withOUT 90F was 18, when 1956 through 1973 did not see 90s on Independance Day.

The most severe weather on the 4th was 1969, when 2.38" hit DTW and severe storms were reported throughout the area.

As far as the bolded, 2012 was more stormy with a couple rounds of severe weather. During the late afternoon hours, after temps surged into the low 100s, multi-cell storms rapdly popped up over the heart of the metro area producing numerous reports of large hail and 3-4" of rain (within 2 hours) along the I-75 corridor from downtown to Ferndale. Then, later that night between 3-5am, a bow-echo more through producing numerous high wind reports leaving thousands of people without power 

It's just that, despite smacking Detroit proper and the immediate surrounding suburbs hard, the storms in 2012 were mostly north and east of DTW,

5 hours ago, Powerball said:

It sucked.

My parents had a rental cottage on Higgins lake with no A.C. We ended up getting a hotel room in Roscommon so we could sleep. During the day time it was so miserable and I don't consider sitting in a lake a viable solution to heat. I mean, for an hour maybe.

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

LMAO...umm...NO!

Apple cider would have been more appropriate than apple pie in 1882, 1936, 1967, 1972, and 1997 when highs stayed in the 60s! They had NO idea what they were in for a few days later in 1936.

I think we pulled off a sub 70 degree high just a few years ago, but that's out side the heat island.

On June 29, 2017 at 3:16 AM, michsnowfreak said:

LOL. First off I'm a climate buff not a forecaster. I probably mentioned our decade of unprecedented snowy Febs or whatever a model showed, or a gut instinct or a "probably leaning" but I don't forecast. You just say torch every month. The first few days of June you called for a nonstop inferno til July? LOL i have had the heat on in the car a few mornings this week. I said as a total guess June would probably finish within a degree of normal and it looks like it'll finish just over a degree above normal here. So what is your reasoning for a TORCH July when no model shows this? When I hear month longTORCH I expect at minimum a top 20 warmest month, more likely top 10.

Responding late because I've been busy but w/e.

June was certainly a torch for NE Illinois. A +3.5 departure for a summer month is hardly something you see every year. Was good enough for 16th warmest June on record too. 

And yes, it's been a torch pretty much since Sept 2015 with many anomalous warm stretches. The first half of June was highly anomalous too being the second warmest on record for Chicago since 1875. Out of the 22 months, only THREE have posted a negative temp anomaly, which is extremely remarkable. 

On June 29, 2017 at 3:16 AM, michsnowfreak said:

LOL. First off I'm a climate buff not a forecaster. I probably mentioned our decade of unprecedented snowy Febs or whatever a model showed, or a gut instinct or a "probably leaning" but I don't forecast. You just say torch every month. The first few days of June you called for a nonstop inferno til July? LOL i have had the heat on in the car a few mornings this week. I said as a total guess June would probably finish within a degree of normal and it looks like it'll finish just over a degree above normal here. So what is your reasoning for a TORCH July when no model shows this? When I hear month longTORCH I expect at minimum a top 20 warmest month, more likely top 10.

Also, the cold biased GEFS is showing widespread warmth for most of the country with hardly any negative departures to speak of anywhere. Plenty of support from other models too. 

The pattern is going to lock in for a while. I'd enjoy it if I were you because it'll be Fall before you know it. 

23 hours ago, Spartman said:

TWC10day.jpg

Yeah you're gonna get a blizzard at the end of the month too.

Oddity of the night: both ORD and DTW reporting "Smoke" due to atmospheric conditions causing the 4th of July fireworks smoke in the respective cities to linger at ground level.

Happens almost every year.

Usually it's with near calm conditions, but last night there was still a light breeze while displays were ongoing.

Archived