• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 28-30 Severe/Heavy Rain Threats

1 minute ago, cyclone77 said:

The cell east of Mechanicsville along route 30 may be the next one to watch.  Showing some weak rotation already.

Yes, I would agree, shear is increasing with the storm.

3 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Storm looked far messier to me on latest radar, but only had quick glance do could be wrong. 

Yeah I am not seeing the circulation being much of anything right now. I am still seeing a ton of debris with the storm though lofted ahead of it.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yes, I would agree, shear is increasing with the storm.

Yeah I am not seeing the circulation being much of anything right now. I am still seeing a ton of debris with the storm though lofted ahead of it.

Was just about to post about the unimpressive velocity.  Was wondering if I was missing something.

Today another great example of how shear trumps instability. Relatively modest instability for the time of year, but with more southerly surface winds than projected, large low level hodographs and favorable storm relative wind profiles, it yields a regional tornado outbreak especially for Iowa. Favorable storm mode lasting for longer than expected as well, largely because of the aforementioned wind profiles.

1 minute ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

It appears Quad Cities isn't issuing warnings right now

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Tornado Warning
National Weather Service Quad Cities IA
Issued by National Weather Service Des Moines IA

They haven't for quite awhile now... I guess they are down somehow?

Just now, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

It appears Quad Cities isn't issuing warnings right now

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Tornado Warning
National Weather Service Quad Cities IA
Issued by National Weather Service Des Moines IA

Yeah DMX has been issuing everything.  Not sure what's up.

Ugh...would have gone to Iowa if not for work tomorrow, but hey it's Iowa on a conditional late June setup...not worth sacrificing a night's sleep, right?

Once again most significant tornado in WI goes north. I was midway between Platteville and Livingston (Grant Co.) looking north into the tornado warned cell, but couldn't see anything but grunge and rain. It was already well embedded in the line which surged into the Janesville area. I skirted the back side of it on the way home on US 151. Lots of crazy lightning around, CGs and anvil crawlers, but wasn't able to capture any of it.

3 minutes ago, iowahawkeyedave said:

The Quad Cities office is in the process of moving their office 400 feet to the east to a new building.  DVN radar just came back up this afternoon thankfully just in time for the storms to come.  

I wouldn't have thought warnings would be affected though.

DVN Move Info from weather.gov

There is no forecast staff actually at either DVN office right now. DVN has 4 forecasters working in the DMX office using their workstations. All the comm lines including those for weather radio and phone lines were offline at least through this afternoon. Their forecasters are still the ones issuing warnings, but they're sitting at a different office. 

Archived