• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The August 21, 2017 Great American Eclipse

23 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

SC looks like crap again after some pretty encouraging runs yesterday. The GFS in particular has a nasty stratiform overcast with pretty much no hope of mitigating factors verbatim. I was planning on leaving this evening but I think I'll wait to see the overnight runs before starting the 12 hour drive... if the outlook gets much worse I may cut my losses and start planning for Chile in 22 months.

After coming to the realization I couldn't make it for the 2017 solar eclipse I started thinking about Chile in 2019...not waiting 7 years on a likely cloudy April day. I have no idea how an eclipse trip like Chile would be.

A little OT about the April 2024 total eclipse. If I did the proper research, it looks like that will be the longest duration total solar eclipse in the US since the June 16, 1806 total eclipse.  A can't miss event, especially for anyone not able to get into the path of totality on Monday.  

39 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

A little OT about the April 2024 total eclipse. If I did the proper research, it looks like that will be the longest duration total solar eclipse in the US since the June 16, 1806 total eclipse.  A can't miss event, especially for anyone not able to get into the path of totality on Monday.  

How long? 3+ minutes?

49 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Texas would have higher likelihood of better skies too.  If I am alive and able I will go.

Okay,  hot tip!   2024 eclipse goes from Mexico to New England.  Hits the Pacific coast of Mexico at the resort town of Mazatlan.  Mexico weather is the best and this resort is on the beach.  Book a room today!!   This is what we did for Aruba in 1998.  Winter vacation and long total eclipse on the beach!!!!  CAN"T BEAT IT!.  We had to book 5 years in advance.  So my advice is to get on the phone today and book a vacation.  Once the US sees how fantastic a total eclipse is everyone will be thinking about places like Mexico!! Next week might be too late....

St Louis afd seems more pessimistic. However they and Paducah mentioned how the models may be affected by not properly accounting for the reduced insolation.  The HRRRx is supposed to be running with eclipse conditions so it will be interesting to see how it handles clouds/precip output around 18z Monday.  

Kohx afd catching up to the model trends mentioned earlier... adding in chance of some cirrus blow off of storms in Mississippi valley.

Not the end of the world given soupy airmass, and still think there's room for this to trend great vs. good for BNA. I feel like it's January writing this: we want that 0z Fri GFS / Euro solution back!

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

St Louis afd seems more pessimistic. However they and Paducah mentioned how the models may be affected by not properly accounting for the reduced insolation.  The HRRRx is supposed to be running with eclipse conditions so it will be interesting to see how it handles clouds/precip output around 18z Monday.  

I'm concerned .

The models have trended more cloudy for about three runs now.

34 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Kohx afd catching up to the model trends mentioned earlier... adding in chance of some cirrus blow off of storms in Mississippi valley.

Not the end of the world given soupy airmass, and still think there's room for this to trend great vs. good for BNA. I feel like it's January writing this: we want that 0z Fri GFS / Euro solution back!

And they did suggest that any blow off cirrus would be thin enough to not obscure.   Looks like 18Z GFS improved a bit at least for middle TN.

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Okay,  hot tip!   2024 eclipse goes from Mexico to New England.  Hits the Pacific coast of Mexico at the resort town of Mazatlan.  Mexico weather is the best and this resort is on the beach.  Book a room today!!   This is what we did for Aruba in 1998.  Winter vacation and long total eclipse on the beach!!!!  CAN"T BEAT IT!.  We had to book 5 years in advance.  So my advice is to get on the phone today and book a vacation.  Once the US sees how fantastic a total eclipse is everyone will be thinking about places like Mexico!! Next week might be too late....

Mazatlan would be ideal.  Not sure I'll want to go that far at age 77 but we'll see.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

And they did suggest that any blow off cirrus would be thin enough to not obscure.   Looks like 18Z GFS improved a bit at least for middle TN.

Jerry, it is still too early to pick a clear spot among patches of clouds.

So the GFS image here is going to change.   But if it stays mostly

clear from SE MO into N and NC TN, then we've got a good sense of where to be.

clouuuds.jpg

This is kinda cool... a look back at how some newspapers covered the last coast to coast eclipse in 1918.  The Topeka State Journal headline in particular, which told people that the next chance for a similar eclipse wouldn't be until 2017.

https://m.mic.com/articles/amp/183041/heres-how-newspapers-around-the-country-covered-the-1918-solar-eclipse

33 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

This is kinda cool... a look back at how some newspapers covered the last coast to coast eclipse in 1918.  The Topeka State Journal headline in particular, which told people that the next chance for a similar eclipse wouldn't be until 2017.

https://m.mic.com/articles/amp/183041/heres-how-newspapers-around-the-country-covered-the-1918-solar-eclipse

Lol....even back then some were meh about it....nothing ever changes

4 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Haha that's great.....centered right over my target in NE.....

That's the incoming shortwave radiation. Nebraska is covered with clouds...at least on the experimental RAP. The southeast side of I-44 looks decent.

Just now, ice1972 said:

I started ignoring those cloud panels on Wednesday....they're like NAM clown maps 

Probably a good idea. I think they're good for general trends and broad brush guesses, but at least with the GFS I think they look worse than they actually are. I don't track the cloud products from the RAP/HRRR (or any model for that matter) enough to really know how well they perform.