• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The August 21, 2017 Great American Eclipse

I just saw this picture of the eclipse from space.  I found it interesting because as you can see the totality line is not as sharp all the way around.  Like taking a flashlight and shinning it over a globe depending on if the flashlight beam points straight down or at an angle, it will make a difference.  In the case of the moon the "beam" is the shadow.  So if the eclipse was closer to mid day the shadow comes quicker/more defined.  If it occurs near sunrise or sunset it is more diffuse.  I'm not sure if I am making sense or not.

21082849_1443218205762137_6872962883642554892_o.jpg

• Like 2

I dvr'd some of the coverage and got around to watching it and wow, it looks like it was dark as night during the total eclipse in areas that had clouds.  Like parts of Oregon, downtown Nashville, and parts of South Carolina.  Areas with little/no clouds had more of the dusk look.

On 8/24/2017 at 5:48 PM, ice1972 said:

For $10,000 you can book on a 2 week cruise and see the eclipse in the Pacific.....with stops at Pitcairn Island, Bora Bora, and other south pacific islands.....seriously want to do this

That would give you maximum totality period! I would hate to break my perfect record of refusing cruises but I'd consider this one.  20grand for my wife and me?

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

That would give you maximum totality period! I would hate to break my perfect record of refusing cruises but I'd consider this one.  20grand for my wife and me?

https://www.travelquesttours.com/tours/2019-south-pacific-cruise-to-totality/pricing-terms/

$7,900 per person for steerage

$20,000 per person for bull market suite

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

I mean if you compared the cost to get to Chile and accommodations and transport - maybe pay to be in a tour group - and then add two weeks and turn it into a vacation.....it's probably a wash....give or take 

5 hours ago, ice1972 said:

I mean if you compared the cost to get to Chile and accommodations and transport - maybe pay to be in a tour group - and then add two weeks and turn it into a vacation.....it's probably a wash....give or take 

Can you imagine if you paid $20g+'and it was overcast?  I'm actually interested in checking out Chile and catching the eclipse.

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

Can you imagine if you paid $20g+'and it was overcast?  I'm actually interested in checking out Chile and catching the eclipse.

No question....would be awful....but going to Chile and it being overcast would suck too....seems it could be difficult to divert down there.....also not sure about infrastructure necessary to even monitor that type of thing....I mean in Nebraska and Missouri I could look at visible sat and radar in seconds....and decide very quickly where to go....

14 hours ago, ice1972 said:

No question....would be awful....but going to Chile and it being overcast would suck too....seems it could be difficult to divert down there.....also not sure about infrastructure necessary to even monitor that type of thing....I mean in Nebraska and Missouri I could look at visible sat and radar in seconds....and decide very quickly where to go....

The cruise ship has an on board met to alter the position to maximize clear wx.  Visiting Tahiti has always been a goal.   It looks pretty good-small number of passengers relatively-gotta consider this.  I figure for my wife and me $25,000.   I'm willing to strongly consider it.  Like I said last week there's gotta be some perks for working 50 years.

20 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The cruise ship has an on board met to alter the position to maximize clear wx.  Visiting Tahiti has always been a goal.   It looks pretty good-small number of passengers relatively-gotta consider this.  I figure for my wife and me $25,000.   I'm willing to strongly consider it.  Like I said last week there's gotta be some perks for working 50 years.

I'm thinking of something like this:

http://tropicalsails.com/solar-eclipse-tour-2019/

Not sure I want to kind out what a 3 star hotel is like down there.

57 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

1 week ago, all the planning and drama about whether clouds would cooperate.  I'm getting some eclipse withdrawal.

It's high stakes cuz they don't happen very often even if you are willing to go to where the next one happens.....like I almost gave in and just stuck with my original target in NE.....but I just couldn't after all the planning and work....I knew it would be a marathon....and it was worth every bit.....

19 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

It's high stakes cuz they don't happen very often even if you are willing to go to where the next one happens.....like I almost gave in and just stuck with my original target in NE.....but I just couldn't after all the planning and work....I knew it would be a marathon....and it was worth every bit.....

Agreed.  I don't think I had ever been so paranoid/nervous about the weather. Knowing about 8/21/17 for over 10 years and having such a small window of opportunity was stressful.  It would've taken me a while to get over it had I missed out lol. Glad things worked out for many folks.

If you still have your eclipse glasses, definitely go check out the naked-eye sunspots currently near the middle of the sun's disc. Snapped this a few minutes ago... the bottom active region is rapidly evolving into a more magnetically complex configuration and could start producing some pretty sizable solar flares.

JEKRsSF.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 8/20/2017 at 10:19 PM, weathafella said:

It's going to be fabulous!  I just got a text from a work colleague based in SF who's in Scotts Bluff,NE.

Bro....was just looking up next total and it’s on Sunday man.....remember we were all discussing this so much when we were all chasing 2017....god that was so fun chasing to Columbia MO.....what a great experience......wish we were there in Chile in 36 hours.....

April 8, 2024 ... long totality from west TX northeast to upstate NY and Quebec. Bound to be some cloud along that line but should be within reach of most people on the forum with a bit of planning (my target would be west TX, unless a week in advance it looks like a big high over Quebec then I can go there instead). 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Welp today was the great 2019 summer - wait winter total solar eclipse - down in South America....images looked great....very much reminded me of 2017....loved chasing that in Missouri....a great life memory...next total solar eclipse is again in South America 12-14-20.....countdown to the great North American eclipse in 2024 is on 

13 hours ago, ice1972 said:

Welp today was the great 2019 summer - wait winter total solar eclipse - down in South America....images looked great....very much reminded me of 2017....loved chasing that in Missouri....a great life memory...next total solar eclipse is again in South America 12-14-20.....countdown to the great North American eclipse in 2024 is on 

Chile/Argentina again next year.  Lucky folks.

On 7/1/2017 at 7:25 AM, WeatherDA said:

I will be back from my trip just the weekend before and will be flying in to Columbia, SC. I will be in the perfect spot to view this in my area. I plan on bringing along my mother and grandmother with me if they are up to the drive. I hope that the weather holds for this event. Praying for clear weather. 

I also hope that the weather will be clear.

• 4 years later...

Here we are folks.....we talked so much about whats happening in 2 weeks......dang.....

This time I am chasing with the whole crew......the kids have to see this......April 8 is beginning of spring break for them so we are heading to Lake Tahoe for a week of snowboarding but on the way we will stop in Dallas to catch the eclipse......crazy schedule but who cares......if all goes well should be amazing.....leave LaGuardia at 6am Monday and land in Dallas Fort Worth at like 9:30am and we will chill out and eclipse watch before we board plane for Reno at 10pm......the rest is just a vacation......can't wait

• Like 1