• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The August 21, 2017 Great American Eclipse

And Fella everything you said I noticed too.....all of sudden there was no more cu around....we still had the high haze but I could still make out the corona....really great....

also I didn't notice the birds until I heard start chirping again.....the diamond ring effect is awesome....man I'm hooked....Aruba right?

• Like 1

I was at 71.2% and I noticed a change like a cooler breeze and it got dimmer. Its getting to normal brightness now. My solar eclipse glasses worked perfect and saw my first partial. That was pretty cool and makes me want totality even more now! Chile 2019!

I saw what Carbondale had...dang! Surprises in a few spots like Charleston SC. Now we see if there is a mass gridlock anywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torchageddon said:

I saw what Carbondale had...dang! Surprises in a few spots like Charleston SC. Now we see if there is a mass gridlock anywhere.

I saw 3 accidents in a one block stretch between Carbondale and Marion IL.   Crazy slow traffic.

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I saw 3 accidents in a one block stretch between Carbondale and Marion IL.   Crazy slow traffic.

Oh boy. Another thing is I noticed a lot of folks on ABC's coverage at least not always using their solar glasses to look at the partial eclipse...even the reporters and anchors (one woman was pulled off camera!). I've been reading that even those with the solar viewers in hand and on head got caught with their pants down for a few seconds. They would either not realize it or the desire over-rode their sense.

I saw the shadow sweep across the country on GOES-16 satellite using satsquatch.com/map/ and it was pretty neat. Even southern Ontario got dark.

Conditions were absolutely perfect just south of Bowling Green. Just a few thin cirrus that did absolutely nothing to impede viewing. That was the fastest 1 minute 50 seconds in my life. What an amazing sight with a black disk where the sun should be surrounded by the wispy filaments of the corona. Off to the right Venus shone brightly in the middle of the day!  A flock of birds swooped overhead as if heading for their nightly roost. I can't wait until 2024 when totality will pass right over my house. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

Oh boy. Another thing is I noticed a lot of folks on ABC's coverage at least not always using their solar glasses to look at the partial eclipse...even the reporters and anchors (one woman was pulled off camera!). I've been reading that even those with the solar viewers in hand and on head got caught with their pants down for a few seconds. They would either not realize it or the desire over-rode their sense.

I saw the shadow sweep across the country on GOES-16 satellite using satsquatch.com/map/ and it was pretty neat. Even southern Ontario got dark.

Safety first, but I've looked at a few eclipses with just a pair of sunglasses.  I find the really dark view of eclipse glasses annoying.  I have bad vision anyway (20/80 in one eye and 20/35 in the other since grade school) and looking at the sun didn't make it any worse.  It's not like acid getting into your eyes lol.

50 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Safety first, but I've looked at a few eclipses with just a pair of sunglasses.  I find the really dark view of eclipse glasses annoying.  I have bad vision anyway (20/80 in one eye and 20/35 in the other since grade school) and looking at the sun didn't make it any worse.  It's not like acid getting into your eyes lol.

If you burn your retina you could be seriously visually impaired-way worse than your current vision.   Don't do it next time!

• Like 1