Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The August 21, 2017 Great American Eclipse

1 hour ago, ice1972 said:

Extremely irritated by the forecast.....tiny window is shrinking by the hour

Question is which way do the Nebraska people go, especially chasers in the eastern part of the state.  Do they head west or try to get east in Missouri/Illinois?

All things considered the GEFS ensemble mean doesn't look bad unless your target is Nebraska. I'm tentatively planning on heading south and east of St. Louis tomorrow morning. Based on the last several GEFS runs, HRRR, Euro, etc. I think the odds of finding clear sky increase as you get closer to KY and TN.

KLssB1b.png

11 minutes ago, bdgwx said:

All things considered the GEFS ensemble mean doesn't look bad unless your target is Nebraska. I'm tentatively planning on heading south and east of St. Louis tomorrow morning. Based on the last several GEFS runs, HRRR, Euro, etc. I think the odds of finding clear sky increase as you get closer to KY and TN.

KLssB1b.png

How about central MO 

1 hour ago, bdgwx said:

KLssB1b.png

Agree, farther southeast should be better. Missouri is the real up for grabs area.

16 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Agree, farther southeast should be better. Missouri is the real up for grabs area.

I mean that panel doesn't look awful for MO.....I'm diverting to at least Fayette....that drive from Omaha is basically entirely within the totality path once I get into MO.....could be problematic traffic wise....

Hot in Nashville-nice dinner with one of my wife's old friends.  You know you're old when your wife arranges dinner with one of her female friends...lol.  

Drove to Gallatin.  Not a lot of traffic around Nashville-lots of folks piling into this hotel-should be fun tomorrow evening.

Happy eclipse viewing friends!

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Hot in Nashville-nice dinner with one of my wife's old friends.  You know you're old when your wife arranges dinner with one of her female friends...lol.  

Drove to Gallatin.  Not a lot of traffic around Nashville-lots of folks piling into this hotel-should be fun tomorrow evening.

Happy eclipse viewing friends!

Good luck man.....I'm headed southeast out of Omaha early.....probably down to KC then cut east on 70.....the interstate is in totality for a long ways and based on cloud cover and time of day I'll peel off at some convenient point.....enjoy the eclipse everybody....it's the only eclipse you got

Just now, ice1972 said:

Good luck man.....I'm headed southeast out of Omaha early.....probably down to KC then cut east on 70.....the interstate is in totality for a long ways and based on cloud cover and time of day I'll peel off at some convenient point.....enjoy the eclipse everybody....it's the only eclipse you got

It's going to be fabulous!  I just got a text from a work colleague based in SF who's in Scotts Bluff,NE.

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It's going to be fabulous!  I just got a text from a work colleague based in SF who's in Scotts Bluff,NE.

That's not a bad spot cuz it's far western NE.....for me I can't head west as my hotel room tomorrow night isnin Iowa City and that drive would be insane starting at 2:30.....I'll hope for the best heading southeast.....no matter what I see - obviously I'll get see darkness whether it's cloudy or not - it will go down as a great adventure.....it's been fun seeing the heartland as I chase...this country is massive and mostly very rural.....lol SNE....sometimes we operate in a bubble....enjoy....it's the only eclipse you got

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

In St. Louis hotel.   Easting Snyders pretzels, BRISK lemonade, comedy on CNN.

Thinking of leaving at 5 am for the area between Hopkinsville and Carbondale.

GFS is clogged with clouds and the hated NAM is favorable.  Bust heartbreak, anyone?

32 minutes ago, winterymix said:

GFS is clogged with clouds and the hated NAM is favorable.  Bust heartbreak, anyone?

Dude....I'll never make it that far southeast but I'm gonna give it my best....Fayette is first target....I'll go further if I get there in time...good luck 

38 minutes ago, winterymix said:

I'm tentatively planning on heading that direction as well. I'll make a final decision tomorrow morning though after looking at the satellite. Several of this evening's convection allowing model runs have been favorable even for a large portion of the MO path.

Using a cheap hotel in Johnson City, TN as base camp tonight and trying to convince my son to leave at 6 a.m. for the summit.  Kinda worried about traffic nightmares.  I was planning on going to Sweetwater, TN but they are apparently turning people away if they haven't prepaid for parking.  Lots of price-gouging going on for glasses, parking etc.. I plan on giving away my extra glasses just to screw a few folks trying to take advantage of people seeking a once in a lifetime experience.  Hope y'all enjoy the show!

3 hours ago, yak said:

Using a cheap hotel in Johnson City, TN as base camp tonight and trying to convince my son to leave at 6 a.m. for the summit.  Kinda worried about traffic nightmares.  I was planning on going to Sweetwater, TN but they are apparently turning people away if they haven't prepaid for parking.  Lots of price-gouging going on for glasses, parking etc.. I plan on giving away my extra glasses just to screw a few folks trying to take advantage of people seeking a once in a lifetime experience.  Hope y'all enjoy the show!

I live in Tellico Plains just south of Sweetwater, it's a shame ppls greed that is on full display. I honestly hope no one park's in these spots. My neighbors have roped their yards off hoping to make a buck. My driveway is small, but there is no way with a clear conscious I could charge ppl to view this great event.

• Like 1