• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The August 21, 2017 Great American Eclipse

Repost from central forum: 

I'll be targeting Nebraska. My current thinking is chances for rain/clouds seem higher in eastern and southeastern parts of the state which is unfortunately where I was initially targeting (the closest drive from Oklahoma). I was hoping to stay south of I-80 but if morning clouds/rain look to be a problem I may target as far N/W as Grand Island. I have no reservations so if it looks really bad in Nebraska Sunday night/early Monday I may just bail altogether. I'm not going to deal with traffic nightmare/longer drive if I would have to go through KC area or further east. 

SC looks like crap again after some pretty encouraging runs yesterday. The GFS in particular has a nasty stratiform overcast with pretty much no hope of mitigating factors verbatim. I was planning on leaving this evening but I think I'll wait to see the overnight runs before starting the 12 hour drive... if the outlook gets much worse I may cut my losses and start planning for Chile in 22 months.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WhiteoutWX said:

Repost from central forum: 

I'll be targeting Nebraska. My current thinking is chances for rain/clouds seem higher in eastern and southeastern parts of the state which is unfortunately where I was initially targeting (the closest drive from Oklahoma). I was hoping to stay south of I-80 but if morning clouds/rain look to be a problem I may target as far N/W as Grand Island. I have no reservations so if it looks really bad in Nebraska Sunday night/early Monday I may just bail altogether. I'm not going to deal with traffic nightmare/longer drive if I would have to go through KC area or further east. 

I'll be coming from Omaha leaving probably early early Monday morning and sticking to back roads......my target is northwest of Grand Island - Ravenna......theres a 9 hole golf course that was selling admission onto the property for $11.....I just booked it not knowing if I would go there but since I have to pull the trigger on my hotel reservations I am thinking this is gonna be my target......I have three reservations - Omaha, Quincy, and Louisville.....probably cancel Quincy and Louisville....

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

SC looks like crap again after some pretty encouraging runs yesterday. The GFS in particular has a nasty stratiform overcast with pretty much no hope of mitigating factors verbatim. I was planning on leaving this evening but I think I'll wait to see the overnight runs before starting the 12 hour drive... if the outlook gets much worse I may cut my losses and start planning for Chile in 22 months.

Just to go Nashville.

1 minute ago, Juliancolton said:

No accommodations anywhere except SC. This was always a multi-purpose trip so I don't have much freedom to deviate from my itinerary unfortunately... 

Oh, no :( and this is your first total solar eclipse too I take it?  I haven't seen one yet either.  How is climatology for Watertown on 4/8/2024?  I don't know anything about the local climate in that area but I'm planning to be there (hopefully.)

9 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

With 1million of your closest friends.....lolz.....meanwhile P&C forecast for NE got better

Why is Carbondale so popular?  I never even heard of that town before this eclipse.  Is it because it's going to be in a great spot for both this and the 2024 eclipse?

19 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Oh, no :( and this is your first total solar eclipse too I take it?  I haven't seen one yet either.  How is climatology for Watertown on 4/8/2024?  I don't know anything about the local climate in that area but I'm planning to be there (hopefully.)

The best bet might be the cumulus shadows near the Ontario and Erie lake shores. Of course in April, there could also be widespread overcast throughout the Great Lakes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, heavy_wx said:

The best bet might be the cumulus shadows near the Ontario and Erie lake shores. Of course in April, there could also be widespread overcast throughout the Great Lakes.

I'll be driving up I-81 from around the Scranton area, how long would it take for me to get up there?  Should I budget around 4 hours?

43 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Why is Carbondale so popular?  I never even heard of that town before this eclipse.  Is it because it's going to be in a great spot for both this and the 2024 eclipse?

I think it's received increased attention because of 2024.  But it's a decent sized town, near the center line, and relatively easy to get to.  The crowds there should be huge.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I think it's received increased attention because of 2024.  But it's a decent sized town, near the center line, and relatively easy to get to.  The crowds there should be huge.

Also I think it is the point of max eclipse or whatever.....past that point totality gets shorter as it moves east

12 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Also I think it is the point of max eclipse or whatever.....past that point totality gets shorter as it moves east

It's close to the longest duration.  I think the longest duration is in a state park to the east of there, but we are basically talking fractions of a second difference in duration of totality along the center line until you get well east of the area.  Greatest eclipse (the moon's shadow passing closest to Earth) is near Hopkinsville, KY.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

It's close to the longest duration.  I think the longest duration is in a state park to the east of there, but we are basically talking fractions of a second difference in duration of totality along the center line until you get well east of the area.  Greatest eclipse (the moon's shadow passing closest to Earth) is near Hopkinsville, KY.

Even all the way to the shores of SC you only have 6 fewer seconds of totality than the point of greatest duration near Carbondale. That's totally imperceptible, so chalk it up to jackpot fetish.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I have these big road maps and drew the center line on there.  Old school lol.  But I'm not taking chances if I have to quickly relocate and internet/GPS is having problems.

20170818_143538.thumb.jpg.a380251a5dba96cef3ae53623b4ddc7f.jpg

That is tremendous.....I put Google maps on my iPad and am downloading maps - actually areas I window out - for use without internet/cell service.....supposedly it behaves just like google maps - that is you can zoom in and out and it will adjust the detail like normal.....I was nervous to be in BF Nebraska and not have cell