Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2017 OBS Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Birds~69 said:

Haven't heard any yet and I'm not that far away from you. They should be starting up soon...

Oh wow.  I started hearing them here a couple weeks ago and thought they were running late then.  They are out and about!  Beautiful sunny day otherwise with low humidity and some cumulus that started up a couple hours ago.  Temp up to 86F here so far.

48 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Oh wow.  I started hearing them here a couple weeks ago and thought they were running late then.  They are out and about!  Beautiful sunny day otherwise with low humidity and some cumulus that started up a couple hours ago.  Temp up to 86F here so far.

Yeah...unless I'm not paying attention, which I doubt, I haven't heard any yet. I always remember them starting mid-late July then kicking into high gear during August.

Interesting no cicadas heard this year, but I saw many hatchling casings around a month ago. Also I have a huge patch of cone flowers which are always buzzing with bee's and butterflies, not this year almost no honey bee's and saw the first large butterfly(yellow) of the season yesterday. Lack of butterflies is anomalous. 

We are at the approximate launch point of the katydids.

Surprisingly topped out at 91F today and the humidity was definitely back.  Am watching that line of showers out in Chesco to see if it will hold together long enough to get here.  Mt. Holly posted a flood advisory for the immediate metro area. Currently 84F with some stormy-looking clouds overhead.

07172017-nexrad.gif

74.8F / DP 72F currently at 10:35pm.

Received a pretty heavy downpour late this afternoon for about 15-20 minutes....thunder but no lightning. Watered the garden, that's all I needed.

Insect update:

Cicadas: Haven't heard one

Crickets, lightning bugs and a couple katydids were/are out tonight

Butterflies do not exist anymore as far as I'm concerned

Bumble bees: A shietload screwing w/me today

Honey bees: not around, very limited

*I miss the days while biking a stray/misguided Japanese beetle drills me in the face/eyes... 

Of note today is on average our hottest day of the year here in Chester County PA....Average High/Low is 86.2 / 65.7. From here through January 21, 2018 its all downhill. High so far today 83.4 low was 67.5 this AM (0.5 degrees below normal)

Through yesterday we are 0.8 degrees above normal this month...

Of interest the WXSIM is forecasting a "heatwave" here in NW Chesco starting tomorrow through Saturday. If "and of course in these parts that is a big if I know!"  it would mark the 1st heat wave here in 6 long years! The last time was 2011 with 4 straight 90+ days as follows:

7/21 - 93.5 / 7/22 - 99.1 / 7/23 - 95.7 and 7/24 - 90.7

I am interested in how many 90+ days each of you have recorded (those that keep records) this summer vs. PHL - how many does PHL have officially up to through today? What is the current average number of 90+ days PHL reports annually? My records from 1983 to Present indicate we only receive on average 5 such days during the summer months (understanding my spot and KMQS have a little more elevation than many of you).

I do believe PHL is representative of the heat island areas and low spots around the city....but am interested to see how many suburban areas typically report during a summer season - what is average away from the heat island areas of the city??

Lastly, do any of you keep records for your personal stations of 90+ days and have comparisons against Philly 90+ days on a yearly basis? If so can you share?

Thanks!

Paul

17 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Are you at max (40MB) overall? You may be full. If so, you won't be able to post any more attachments. Delete old pics and try again.

Thanks!! sheesh! I never knew I needed to delete old pics - I have pics back to October 2011 on there - time to start deleting

Archived