• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2017 OBS Thread

Rtd208

0.52" of rain last night in Chester County. Dew points have been slow to fall here at the Jersey Shore - still sitting at 73...also slow to clear - but back in East Nantmeal in Chesco the DP is down to 59 and sun is shining. Currently running 1.4 degrees below normal in Chester County through yesterday. Likely to finish below normal here for August. This will be our 3rd month out of 8 this year with below normal temps

SicHi.20170823_141736.jpg

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, soadforecaster said:

i finally won out with a thunderstorm in aston. the first line hit me and woke me up, crazy loud thunder and lightning. after it rolled through i thought it was over. then that tail formed and gave me another storm. i felt like the house was under attack for a hour with those storms. one of the best night time storms of my life hands down. plus i got over 3" of rain

Congrats! It was the first time in a while we've had one of those persistent events at night with a decent amount of thunder and lightning here as well. Given the forecast and the radar before it got here, I was hoping to get a quarter to a half inch of rain - didn't see this one coming at all. Enjoyable!

If anyone is interested in an NFL pick-em league we have two leagues which members on this board can participate in.  One of the leagues is free and has been an ongoing tradition of Eastern/American Wx for at least 10 years now.  This league is done directly through this forum in the sports thread.  

The second league is entering its third season here on the boards and is a pay-league.  He platform we've used in the past is yahoo, however, a different platform may be used this year.  

If you have any interest in participating in one or both of the leagues check out the following thread.  The more participants, the more fun the league, and for the pay league, the more potential winnings!

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/50203-nfl-pick-em-2017-2018/#comment-4596041

Climate summary for today Hi/Lo  Chester County Pa 70.6/54.1 (8.6 degrees below normal - 2nd straight day with more than 8.5 below normal) down here in Sea Isle City very small temperature spread with the strong persistent NE flow with the gradient between the NE High and the incoming tropical storm Irma from the SE...winds have been gusting in the mid to upper 20's all day with a high gust so far of 29mph. Will expect to see gusts tomorrow in the 38 to 43 mph range...

59 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Same here. I thought anything N of Philly would just get "brushed" with some precip but it looks decently solid.

br.jpg

Because that's EXACTLY how every piece of guidance looked!!! and that was coming off the previous look of all dry before at least the weekend. This is a radical development.

Yeah a little perturbed I watered my plants yesterday I didn't see anything more today than a trace to .10" 

and it's not like this is a convective event and was hard to see who might get hit, it's a comprehensive rain shield like a noreaster

Today's high in Chester County of only 61.5 marks the 2nd coldest daily August maximum temperature recorded in Chester County in the last 35 years of records. The only daily maximum lower than today was the 60.1 maximum temperature recorded on August 21, 2007. Today's previous record low maximum was the 65.0 recorded in 2002.

55 minutes ago, RedSky said:

The high dropping in Friday is impressive cool for the date.

Labor day weekend looks half-shot. 60's Friday....60's Sat w/showers (Harvey)...maybe some T-storms Sat evening. Sunday...meh, but ok. Monday looks like the best day but people are heading home from the shore/wrapping up home activities by then...

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Labor day weekend looks half-shot. 60's Friday....60's Sat w/showers (Harvey)...maybe some T-storms Sat evening. Sunday...meh, but ok. Monday looks like the best day but people are heading home from the shore/wrapping up home activities by then...

This has to be the coolest Labor Day weekend coming in decades

Irma is definitely one to watch. With the strong ridge in the atlantic and along with a trough in the east could means everyone from Florida to Massachusetts should be paying close attention to the latest forecasts. The pattern definitely is indicative of an east coast landfalling cane and with little keeping it from strengthening it will likely be a Major cane. Usually at this latitude it's pretty safe to write off as a fish but with the historical ridge over the atlantic pushing it wsw over the next few days actually knocks it down into pretty prime area for a US strike. Right now, I personally still think it will recurve and be a very close miss at this time but the potential is certainly there for hit to the east coast. the weenie in me would love it if it rode up delaware bay so I got into the eye but the new homeowner in me wouldn't mind seeing it go harmlessly out to sea.

2 hours ago, The Iceman said:

Irma is definitely one to watch. With the strong ridge in the atlantic and along with a trough in the east could means everyone from Florida to Massachusetts should be paying close attention to the latest forecasts. The pattern definitely is indicative of an east coast landfalling cane and with little keeping it from strengthening it will likely be a Major cane. Usually at this latitude it's pretty safe to write off as a fish but with the historical ridge over the atlantic pushing it wsw over the next few days actually knocks it down into pretty prime area for a US strike. Right now, I personally still think it will recurve and be a very close miss at this time but the potential is certainly there for hit to the east coast. the weenie in me would love it if it rode up delaware bay so I got into the eye but the new homeowner in me wouldn't mind seeing it go harmlessly out to sea.

a storm moving up the Delaware Bay would be a worst case scenario for the SJ shore beaches. Sandy with the eye passing right over Sea Isle City was bad....but look how bad places to the north of the center made out with that storm. Let's hope this never happens! Great to track hurricanes....but better when they stay away from us!

Archived