Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2017 OBS Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With yesterdays 72/54 in Chester County - this marks the 20st of the last 21 days of below average and many significantly as 9 of the first 12 days of September have averaged more than 6 degrees below normal with 4 more than 10 degrees below normal - very impressive early season chill.

23 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

I put some fertilizer down on Monday, so a little rain to wash it in would be welcomed.

I think the chance of showers here and there today and tomorrow will be perfect  for fertilizer. You don't want a monsoon downpour which will wash it away. Viewing the radar, maybe around noon/early afternoon or so some spotty showers may move in...

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

Looks like we have some boring weather for the next 10+ days. Temps in the mid-upper 70s...lows in the 50s to low 60s.

Some scattered showers from Irma trying to make it here...

irma.jpg

Yeah after today and tomorrow with just possible showers, the rest of the month looks very dull barring a miraculous Jose hit. Really just looks like seasonable temps and dry. Hopefully October will be the strong cold fronts coming through and possibly a Noreaster. This stretch of weather has been great for doing things but absolutely dull weather wise. I don't know how people in California put up with weather like this all the time. I like having some variety in my weather. :lol:

5 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Yeah after today and tomorrow with just possible showers, the rest of the month looks very dull barring a miraculous Jose hit. Really just looks like seasonable temps and dry. Hopefully October will be the strong cold fronts coming through and possibly a Noreaster. This stretch of weather has been great for doing things but absolutely dull weather wise. I don't know how people in California put up with weather like this all the time. I like having some variety in my weather. :lol:

Yeah, that's probably the next time I'll get pumped. Cold front comes through, windy, temp highs in the 50s, fall foliage and hopefully the Birds have a winning record. That's perfect!

2 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

I think the chance of showers here and there today and tomorrow will be perfect  for fertilizer. You don't want a monsoon downpour which will wash it away. Viewing the radar, maybe around noon/early afternoon or so some spotty showers may move in...

Man, I almost nailed this one for Horsham.

I was driving and spotty big drops fell on the windshield (splat!) then increased then slowed down to a steady light rain as it is currently. Time it started was 11:58am per the car clock.

*Picked up again 12:21pm

Todays climate summaries in Chester County 68.7/57.6 with 0.31" of rain today - this marks our 21st of the last 22 days with below normal temperatures. Since August 22nd the only above normal day was September 5th. In Sea Isle City the spread was 74.2/65.1. So far this month we are running 6.9 degrees below normal in Chester County. Need to go back in the local records and see the last time we had such a run of below normal temps

33 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Likewise! Heard an owl too. A few cumulus clouds drifting south to north with stars in between. Nice night to be outside.

Damn, no owls here. I would have been pumped. Halloween-ish...

Tomorrow night should be the same. DP is a bit high now though (68F, Irma) but I'll take it. It doesn't feel as bad as mid summer though? Showers tomorrow. Wash, rinse, repeat tomorrow night....

It was a relief to get those 5 dry days before yesterday, I swear since around August 20 every day there is any chance of rain it rains. Here's hoping weather worlds dry 30 day outlook verifies they must be on to some major pattern change.

Mosquitoes here might be the worse I remember you need mosquitoes nets to stay outside.

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

It was a relief to get those 5 dry days before yesterday, I swear since around August 20 every day there is any chance of rain it rains. Here's hoping weather worlds dry 30 day outlook verifies they must be on to some major pattern change.

Mosquitoes here might be the worse I remember you need mosquitoes nets to stay outside.

You sure they weren't "flying ants" who have invaded the area(s)?

http://tinyurl.com/yczujoog

I cut the lawn today for the first time since I heard about this and once I started to sweat....they were F-en w/me left and right.

25 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

You sure they weren't "flying ants" who have invaded the area(s)?

http://tinyurl.com/yczujoog

I cut the lawn today for the first time since I heard about this and once I started to sweat....they were F-en w/me left and right.

Yeah not that plague it's mosquitoes swarms and also those little noseeum gnats in the house.

It sure would be nice to get Jose to tuck right into the coast, or even make a Delaware Bay landfall, but other than a couple of rogue runs, the models want to keep him JUST far enough off shore to not have an effect on the weather in Eastern PA. I'm kind of tired of boring, mundane weather. I need a major event in my backyard...stat!

I'm contemplating going to the shore tomorrow to see if I can experience tropical storm conditions for a period. Does anyone have any thoughts on where may be a good place to go? i'm thinking the Barnegat area at the moment. i know theres a chance that nowhere on the shore sees ts winds but I have 3 'admin' days I need to burn before the year is up so im figuring its a good excuse to take a day off.

Jose not bad down the Cape May way for rain, only 0.11". My peak gust ENE34mph@1:14pm. As I'm at least 1.5 miles from the ocean front  it was probably a little stronger where the waves were breaking. Brandywine Shoal Light in the Delaware Bay had a peak gust of 48mph. Flooding was an issue in several locations both morning  & night according to several reports. Now, will it come back to visit with a little more punch?

For those interested below is my weather recap of the last 3 months for the local Sweetwater Reporter Newsletter in Chester County

Hello again from Paul at The Northwest Chester County Weather Station (www.chescowx.com) here in beautiful East Nantmeal Township. Be sure to follow me on twitter as I am now tweeting multiple daily climate reports and forecast updates for our Township at ChescoPawxman

As I write this we are 20 days through the month of September. Let’s look back at the last 3 ½ months of the summer season here in Chester County. Overall it was a cooler than normal summer with an average temperature that was 3.8 degrees below our normal average. Of note here in the Township we only experienced one day (June 13th at 91.1) all summer that surpassed the ninety-degree mark. We only average five 90+ temp days in a normal East Nantmeal summer. For those who read my last article back in June, and watch the local Philly news channels you will not be surprised to hear that officially at the Philadelphia Airport they recorded 24 days above 90 so far this year. I would say that is quite a bit different when compared to our little slice of suburbia! 

June and July averaged slightly above normal with June’s average temperature of 69.9 being 0.6 above normal and July averaging 74.3 which is 0.4 above normal. That all changed in August with 25 of the 31 days averaging below normal, with the entire month averaging 2.6 degrees below normal at 69.5. The chill that started in August continued into September as a stretch from August 23rd through September 13th featured 21 of those 22 days being cooler than normal. Quite the early season cool spell! One last factoid on the chill, with temperatures remaining in the 50’s all day on September 2nd this marked the earliest sub-60 day in the last 35 years of local climate data beating the old mark by 2 full weeks.

Rainfall wise it was a very good summer for our local farmers with 17.38” of rain falling between June 1st and September 20th. This was almost an inch (0.93”) above normal for the summer.

Temps will continue to cool over the next few months with the average high/low going from 74/54 today to 48/32 by November 30th. The earliest frost since 1983 was September 18th in 1990.

Expect a warm end to September but a cool start to October. Overall expect October to be slightly above normal and November slightly below normal. I will give you my fearless winter forecast in the next article…but an early hint. I am expecting a colder winter than the last 2 years but not as cold as the 2 years prior to that, with a return to above normal snow after last year’s paltry 24” of the white stuff.

I hope all of you have a great start to fall!  If you have any questions, please visit my website, follow me on twitter and send me an email. Until next time –All the best!  Paul

Some are weather-wise, some are otherwise” Ben Franklin

Archived